1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

War of the ‘Oses

Published by Metabolism_Boss in the blog Metabolism_Boss's blog. Views: 616

Sucrose, fructose, galactose, dextrose, glucose…

So I’ve managed to stop eating sugary, carby foods (at last I’m on the straight and narrow!), but I have to spend a lot of time making meals from scratch as it’s the only way to avoid eating hidden sugar that I know would set me off eating all the wrong things again. Things that I would have thought would be fine shocked me when I read the labels. Barbecue / stir-fry sauces are all full of sugar. Prepared meats, (never mind honey –glazed ham that at least tells you what you are buying) are often made juicier by injection with peptone / dextrose mixtures. Ready meals and take-aways, low fat yoghurt and “natural” fruit juices also contain high levels of sugar. You cannot get away from the stuff.

So I prepare meals, sauces and breads to suit my new lifestyle and I am getting pretty good at it, but I must admit, it would be nice to occasionally wander into a supermarket and pick up a ready meal without intensive scrutiny that ends with me putting it back on the shelf.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook