1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Was I hypo? But I'm type 2.

Published by Resurgam in the blog Resurgam's blog. Views: 289

I think that the problem was a hypo - see got the lingo already.
That would be due to too much insulin - and although that is not what I thought being type 2 diabetic was all about it makes sense.
If my liver has not got access to glycogen after over a week of low carbing has used it all up, but my pancreas has become used to making all the insulin it can, to deal with the cholesterol reducing diet I was on, and yesterday I ate rather low fat as well as low carb - then the result could well be being away with the fairies this morning.

Also - after two days of taking two tablets of Metformin per day and having the most awful consequences I did not take any yesterday. I went out and did not want to take any before going out - obviously, but I was out for far longer than I expected.
These are obviously early days, and I will have to make certain that I keep to a routine and eat/take tablets to schedule.

I was able to go through the possibilities, dehydration from the 'consequences' - no - no improvement on drinking water. Low blood sugar, eat a few grapes - wait, and yes, that was it. I did have a similar occurrence many years ago - about 40, if I remember correctly. I was close to my doctor's surgery and was able to make it through the door, and they did a blood test and diagnosed low blood sugar. Half a cup of sweet tea brought me round, and I have never had anything like that again until today.
I suspect that I have been pre diabetic for a long time, a very long time. Only eating low carb for weight control kept me from having any of the classic symptoms.
Going off low carb did make me so depressed, I have been so happy all the last week.
Now I am even happier. I do not have a dead pancreas, just a hysterical one. Cutting out most sugars and doing low carb might just calm it down again.
SockFiddler and Mep like this.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook