1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Weight loss

Published by Resurgam in the blog Resurgam's blog. Views: 233

This morning I weighed myself twice, just to be sure - I have lost slightly more than 8lb in 3 weeks.
I should not be surprised really, as low carb was always effective, but I never quite believe it will work as well as it does.
I have read that restarting never works well - but that is not the case with my metabolism - but I have never had any success with any other diet - though to be honest when I found Atkins I stopped looking - I mean, when you have found a diet where, if taken to extreme you can lose a kilogram a day, and you can fine tune the loss by adding in your favourite carbs in small amounts, why look elsewhere?
Now I have the additional factor of diabetes, but it is type 2, so I just take the tablet and go on low carbing.
An additional benefit is that the loss is mostly fat and not lean body mass. Our scales can measure that, so with a bit of calculation I can work out my lean weight.
I doubt that I will ever have a 24 inch waist again, but all my weight piles on into the middle so I have an equator rather than a waist, but at least that means that my arms and legs aren't large, so I should not - with any luck - get huge folds of skin flapping about.
I really hope that by reducing my weight - or I should say my fat, because I was always muscular and I don't want to lose that, it will mean that I can once again fully control my BG levels. I don't mind if it is by eating low carb for the rest of my life - I was perfectly happy eating 80 gm of carbs a day. I can cope with the lower levels I am eating now - protein and salad stuff with oil and vinegar dressing. Just being able to bend over and pick up things from the floor again makes that worthwhile.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook