1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

When control won't go your way

Published by Gary61 in the blog Gary61's blog. Views: 386

First of all, I hope everyone who reads this blog had a wonderful Christmas and kept themselves well. My particular downfall has always been mince pies with Brandy cream. Don't ask what I have to dose when having one lol.
Even though I am a firm advocate of the Medtronic 670 pump, I would just like to show that it and I include all other pumps as well, does not always work the way we would hope it to work.
This incident is about absorption problems and I hope that I can illustrate how frustrating it can be when this occurs. I decided around 3pm that I quite fancied a biscuit and a cup of tea which I duly dosed with 35gms of carbs. After an hour, I noticed that my sugars were just starting to rise so I carried out a further 2 dosages to hopefully bring them down. When my wife arrived from work, she announced that she really fancied going out for food, so off we went to our local curry house. I ordered my meal and dosed for 160gms of carbs which I thought would get me by as I had just previously bolused before going out. I noticed over the last 2hrs that my sugar level was progressively rising. Then came another blow, when my pump reminded me that I had to re-calibrate my sensor as I had renewed it earlier that day. Me being a typical bloke had forgotten to bring my meter so my pump went into a default mode in Manual over the next 1hr 45mins while I was still out.
When I arrived home, I calibrated immediately and found that my sugar level was still at an alarmingly high level. I had bolused on another 3 occasions after my meal bolus with no apparent effect.
After hours of trying I'd had enough and decided to change my Insulin and replace my cannula onto another part of my body. After carrying this out, my sugars decided to nose dive and at 11:30 I Absorbtion Issues.jpg decided to take on board some carbs to be safe. The main thing that I find after dosing so much earlier, is that the Insulin does eventually start to work so if you are like me and are over eager trying to lower your sugars, you can get a nasty surprise when they suddenly start to drop. You can also see that my pump delivered very little Basal insulin for a number of hours after my sugars had dropped which helped enormously in helping control the excess insulin that I had bolused for previously. Any other pump would have just carried out pumping what it had been programmed for, which would have led to far more difficulties to deal with.
Anyway that was my story on when things don't go to plan, but I would just like to emphasise that incidents like this are rare and I would not change this pump for anything else that's out there at this point in time. After all, this was not the pumps fault and unfortunately these thing can happen to us all. I hope that explanation wasn't too long winded and might possibly help some people understand what can happen and be more prepared for it.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook