1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Why you should do the basic first aid course! blog 24.

Published by Lamont D in the blog Lamont D's blog. Views: 505

As a football coach, we have to have done various courses, which includes first aid. I must have done about ten of these sessions. They should be mandatory as part of the curriculum at school and in the workplace.
I am lucky that my life and my first aid skills have helped down the years, as I've seen various injuries and I believe I have been of use to the casualties.
I have helped with broken bones, for example, wrist, forearm, finger, kneecap (last season), ankle, tibia, fibia (compound). My son bit his tongue through, held on by a sliver of skin, cuts, abrasions, head wounds, cut lips, black eyes, pulls, strains, confusions!
Two of my son's, have had broken jaws, one from playing cricket, one from being attacked!
I have assisted in helping people who have 'episodes' as my mum used to call them.

Would you know how to help an old person who has fallen over,? what would your reaction be to a car crash?
If someone had a fit or a hypo, how could you help?

What made me write because of an experience I had this morning on the way to work.

I had just walked out the front door with my packed lunch in my hand, when I heard a scream! I looked across the road and a paperboy was holding his face. I put down my lunch bag and watching the traffic, I crossed the road as he let out another scream. His bike was on the floor and I could immediately see that he had a deep laceration to his face between his lower lip and jaw, in fact two teeth were showing through the gap, it was a horrid injury. Strangely no blood. I immediately tried to calm and asked him a couple of quick questions, by this time, he had risen from the ground, but was unaware of what had happened.
He replied that he lived quite close and could I take him home, which I did. I ensured he covered his face with the waistline of his t shirt. In case of teeth moving and to continue to staunch any blood that may have flowed.
We knocked on the door, his mother opened the door and she looked at her son and at me. I then explained his bike accident and rush him to A&E. She said thanks and would I like to help. I was going to be late, but the mother looked calm enough, so I insisted that she take him immediately!
I had to walk back to my house for my dinner and of course I was ten minutes late for work, something I abhor!
I got a slight reprimand for my tardiness! I didn't think an explanation was necessary, so I didn't tell him!
As always because I told a work colleague of my mornings adventures, the boss found out later!
He didn't have to say anything, I could see it in his face, how embarrassed he was!

Anyways, I knocked at the poor lads house after work and I'm glad to report, that they had enough skin to have stitches and not require cosmetic facials. He had been there since just after eight and was due anytime around five pm!

I was just glad to be of help!
And of course, so grateful for my first aid training!
Janiept and timerich like this.
You need to be logged in to comment
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook