Do you have shortened pinkies or short legs

SlyFox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Food
In here you can read "a number of family members have the phenotype of short 5th metacarpals, which appears to be associated with the features of insulin resistance Type A."

I have that feature. You can see what it is here. Which is where I stumbled on the information whilst out searching one day.

I also have unusually short legs for my height 5' 8" @ 28.5" inside leg (Shorter than the shortest standard trouser length).

My waist pre newcastle diet was ~10" longer than my legs @39", and still is at 32"

You can laugh if you want its a lifelong embarrassment which long ago lost its sting.

This is also an indicator of a higher risk of contracting diabetes. There was a famous study of it Wales many years ago.

"RESULTS Cross sectional associations between cardiovascular risk factors and components of stature (total height, leg length and trunk length) demonstrated that factors related to the insulin resistance syndrome—the homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance, fasting triglyceride levels and total to HDL cholesterol ratio—were less favourable in men with shorter legs, while showing reverse or no associations with trunk length. "

So it appears I was well engineered at birth to acquire diabetes at some stage.

I'd be curious to see how many other people may be in the same boat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In here you can read "a number of family members have the phenotype of short 5th metacarpals, which appears to be associated with the features of insulin resistance Type A."

I have that feature. You can see what it is here. Which is where I stumbled on the information whilst out searching one day.

I also have unusually short legs for my height 5' 8" @ 28.5" inside leg (Shorter than the shortest standard trouser length).

My waist pre newcastle diet was ~10" longer than my legs @39", and still is at 32"

You can laugh if you want its a lifelong embarrassment which long ago lost its sting.

This is also an indicator of diabetes. There was a famous study of it Wales many years ago.

"RESULTS Cross sectional associations between cardiovascular risk factors and components of stature (total height, leg length and trunk length) demonstrated that factors related to the insulin resistance syndrome—the homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance, fasting triglyceride levels and total to HDL cholesterol ratio—were less favourable in men with shorter legs, while showing reverse or no associations with trunk length. "

So it appears I was well engineered at birth to acquire diabetes at some stage.

I'd be curious to see how many other people may be in the same boat.
Not guilty. But an expanded waistline is often a result of metabolic syndrome Ii.e. diabetes) so tends to follow diabetes rather than predict it. i think a blood test is a better predictor of the onset of diabetes.

Of course shorter legs will directly affect the BMI index.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am in inch shorter than you with the same leg length but I don't have a short pinky.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, So a queen fan eh. cool :)

I deed sir!

I've been in two bands both had two different T1 bass players... Now you would expect bass players by design to be quite "lanky"?
They are both "shortarses".

I can't say I've looked too close at the "pinkies". ;)

SlyFox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Food
Not guilty. But an expanded waistline is often a result of metabolic syndrome Ii.e. diabetes) so tends to follow diabetes rather than predict it. i think a blood test is a better predictor of the onset of diabetes.

Of course shorter legs will directly affect the BMI index.

The caerphilly study suggests that as an indicator of 'future risk' that short stature (leg length in particular) is a indicator. No candidate for an actual blood near onset but for an early warning sign its a hum-dinger as you can see it right now without a doctor.

I had an argument with an NHS consultant about leg length and BMI once. He s was trying (and failed) to figure out why my serum ferritin was 1200 (its still way high). You just came down on my side of that argument! :)

It eventually will become the BVI (Body volume Index) that gets used.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do you define 'short' pinky finger?

SlyFox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Food
I deed sir!

I've been in two bands both had two different T1 bass players... Now you would expect bass players by design to be quite "lanky"?
They are both "shortarses".

I can't say I've looked too close at the "pinkies". ;)

This will pee you off. I was in the crowd at the filming of 'we are the champions' video made at the New London theatre centre, Drury lane.! What a day that was. No you can't see me. Legs too short. I'm behind the tall guy.

Reactions: 3 people

SlyFox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Food
How do you define 'short' pinky finger?

Have a look and the x-ray link. the pinkie ends about or below the last joint of the 4th metacarpal. It should end half way between there and the tip of the 4th metacarpal to be 'normal'

Its why I have never been able to play guitar well. Which is why I became a drummer, which is far better for a grump diabetic to be anyway.

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm unfortunately short all over and getting shorter. We have marks on the kitchen door frame from when my son was growing up and I'm now almost 2" shorter than my original official 'Mum' marker. Like I can spare it. I do have especially short legs too.

I suspect that my 5th meta-whotsit is short too, as my hand curves round towards my pinky finger, where I think most people's knuckles are fairly well in line. My pinkie is notably shorter than my other fingers.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a look and the x-ray link. the pinkie ends about or below the last joint of the 4th metacarpal. It should end half way between there and the tip of the 4th metacarpal to be 'normal'

Its why I have never been able to play guitar well. Which is why I became a drummer, which is far better for a grump diabetic to be anyway.
Have you posted a link? Sorry, can't see one.

I do indeed have short pinkies. Short legs too.
I think that is better than many people I have known who have short arms but long pockets! ;)

Reactions: 5 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At my massive height of 160cm, I have short everything. Does that mean every ill known to mankind is lining up for me? o_O

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Diabetics have short pinkies. The Daily Mail writers must be rubbing their hands at this freakish news :jimlad:

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have short pinkies but long legs (32" inside leg) and am also a T1 Bassist... ready to stand in for @Jaylee ;)