Do other T2s have allotments and what do you grow?

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
I have a little half plot allotment. Got it rather late last year so wasn't able to grow a great variety of things. We are just getting seeds in now and are trying to grow diabetic-friendly foods (i.e. no potatoes).

Do other members have allotments and want to swap notes?

Prov.

Reactions: 7 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Providence 62 - Hello:) - My Partner and I have a full allotment and grow: Fruit, Veg and Flowers on ours. We have had our Allotment 10 years now.

Reactions: 6 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
My sugar cane is doing very well this year :eek:

upload_2016-4-17_19-13-6.png

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Providence 62 - My Partner went to Horticultural College for 6 years. If I can be of any help? let me know:) I will let you know what we plant on ours in more detail.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have an allotment, but if I did, I'd grow as many as possible of the veggies, salads, herbs, and berries that I currently eat on my LCHF diet. I've possibly missed some, but:
  • broccoli
  • cabbage
  • sprouts
  • green beans
  • courgettes
  • cauliflower
  • asparagus
  • mange tout
  • lettuce
  • cherry tomatoes
  • cucumber
  • radish
  • chives
  • parsley
  • thyme
  • sage
  • basil
  • oregano
  • coriander
  • dill
  • various varieties of mint
  • bay (tree)
  • garlic
  • raspberries (canes)
  • strawberries
  • gooseberries (bushes)
  • probably red and back currants (bushes)
  • blueberry (little bush)
  • rhubarb
In my previous house I used to have a plot in the garden that I grew all my fruit on, and I inherited eating, cooking apple and plum trees from the previous owners, and I grew herbs in my conservatory. I planted fruit trees and had a big container for my herbs in my current garden until my husband decided to kill them all off. :mad:

Robbity

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
@Providence 62 - My Partner went to Horticultural College for 6 years. If I can be of any help? let me know:) I will let you know what we plant on ours in more detail.

Now THAT is what I call a useful partner. Mine is okay with digging and pulling up weeds. I deal with the planting!

We are just getting a composting bin and an incinerator to burn those perennial weeds, so we wont be shovelling bits of weed root back into the allotment next year and getting nothing but a fine crop of dandelions.

Prov.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
I don't have an allotment, but if I did, I'd grow as many as possible of the veggies, salads, herbs, and berries that I currently eat on my LCHF diet. I've possibly missed some, but:
In my previous house I used to have a plot in the garden that I grew all my fruit on, and I inherited eating, cooking apple and plum trees from the previous owners, and I grew herbs in my conservatory. I planted fruit trees and had a big container for my herbs in my current garden until my husband decided to kill them all off. :mad:

Robbity

I have kept your list, Robbity. I was thinking of blueberries until I saw the price! That being said there is a nice little patio set of blueberries for £11.00 - knowing what the price of blueberries is like in the supermarkets - I think this will pay for itself in the first year!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blueberry-Collection-3-Varieties-9cm-Pot/dp/B009VIY85A?ie=UTF8&keywords=blueberry plants for sale uk&qid=1460975242&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

How on earth did your husband manage to kill all your plants? that takes some doing.

Helen444

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I used to have an allotment. Used to pop in everyday on the way home from work, but when I changed m job a few years ago it was a bit too far to travel and so I gave it up.

However, I have now dug up half of my back garden and am growing fruit and veg there. I have rhubarb, gooseberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and blackcurrants. My first year for most of these, so waiting to see how they do. I have also just planted an apple, plum and pear tree, which I am hoping to espalier along the fences (this is a very small garden, so am trying to use the space well) I have also been looking at vertical gardening on Pinterest and am thinking of growing strawberries and lettuce in drainpipes along the opposite fence.

I have some lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, peas and bean in trays waiting to be planted out, so I am keeping an eye on the weather.

Good luck with your allotment, you will love it.

Reactions: 2 people

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had an allotment for about 5 years now, unlike you I do grow potatoes - they taste so much better than supermarket ones - it also has the added benefit of making you dig the ground anyway so a good first time crop so to speak.

Normally grow Broad beans, onions, carrots, peas, garlic, courgettes and brassicas. Also have an apple and pear tree, strawberry bed, raspberries, black currents. Rhubarb plant to go in this year. Tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber and the like in the greenhouse at home.

I'm also very apt at growing weeds, the rabbits tend to leave those well alone and nibble everything else - my over-wintering onion sets have been decimated by the cute fury little bundles of joys (!)

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Hi, I used to have an allotment. Used to pop in everyday on the way home from work, but when I changed m job a few years ago it was a bit too far to travel and so I gave it up.

However, I have now dug up half of my back garden and am growing fruit and veg there. I have rhubarb, gooseberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and blackcurrants. My first year for most of these, so waiting to see how they do. I have also just planted an apple, plum and pear tree, which I am hoping to espalier along the fences (this is a very small garden, so am trying to use the space well) I have also been looking at vertical gardening on Pinterest and am thinking of growing strawberries and lettuce in drainpipes along the opposite fence.

I have some lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, peas and bean in trays waiting to be planted out, so I am keeping an eye on the weather.

Good luck with your allotment, you will love it.

Hi Helen,

Sounds like you know what you are doing :) (which is more than can be said for me). I would love to dig up half the back garden, but my husband has drawn the line on that one. We are going to use a few pots though, found a fantastic contributor on youtube who grows loads of stuff in containers. Fortunately I work for myself, so I can go up to the allotment during the days (work permitting). In these days of technology I can even bring my little computer with me and hook up to the internet using my mobile. Going up tomorrow to do onion sets and some radishes. Want to get cracking with some leeks too. Let me know how you do with the blueberries - very interested in those.

Prov

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi there....another one here with a allotment :)...well, two actually. I've got about 1/4 acre or 40 poles 'in old money' of space for growing....absolutely all sorts. I've got my plots about 15 yrs or bit longer....can't remember exactly :rolleyes:
At least half of that space is for fruit and berries...and now I'm doing low carb, I bet we get bumper crop of fruit this year...ending up with mountains of apples and pears, and peaches and plums and.....:banghead:
Even I've able to crop more than we really eat berries, this spring I've increased my potential yields...planted many new bushes since we seem to be eating now more of that sort of stuff. But I loooooooooooove my apples...I'm going to miss them if I'm only able to have odd one every now and then :(
Beekeeping is on a low burner as well and I'm winding down that part...getting honey into jars is so much messy work and I don't even eat the stuff...as nice as it is...particularly with porridge....'sigh'..:(
Polytunnel is getting full up with all the different brassica plants...soo will be planting time for those:) Some spinach and salad stuff is already sprouting too. Climbing spinach is nearly ready for first pickings..just need touch of more growth on. I've been harvesting sprouting broccoli for few weeks now as well as kale, plenty of that stuff!
All my fruit trees are just about to start flowering....looking forward to that...it is soooo beautiful site and petals falling all over the place makes it look like snow showers.
It's been sooo cold and wet spring here so far and my plots have been holding their breath in waiting for turn to warmer spell..things will absolutely burst into growth once the weather improve.
Oh...and I like to grow loads and loads of toms, cucumbers , chillies and peppers too..:angelic: As a result I have young plants all over the place in house and in polytunner....waiting to grow little bigger and then to be planted into greenhouses in their final positions.
Oh...blueberries....oh, yes...plenty of those bushes too..blueberries are so expensive to buy if you want to use them regularly/ in quantity and yet they are one of the easiest things to grow and look after.
I could carry on rattling about plants and growing...but I'll have deep breath and concentrate to have my breakkie..but I'll be back to rattle some more....and that is a warning! ;)

ETA: forgot....RHUBARB...I've been looking forward to that crop for all winter and I've managed to crop couple of small lots so far...:hungry:YUM! Soon there will be forest of stalks and I won't touch the stuff anymore..nice as it is..but too much is too much.. :rolleyes:

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
I've had an allotment for about 5 years now, unlike you I do grow potatoes - they taste so much better than supermarket ones - it also has the added benefit of making you dig the ground anyway so a good first time crop so to speak.

Normally grow Broad beans, onions, carrots, peas, garlic, courgettes and brassicas. Also have an apple and pear tree, strawberry bed, raspberries, black currents. Rhubarb plant to go in this year. Tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber and the like in the greenhouse at home.

I'm also very apt at growing weeds, the rabbits tend to leave those well alone and nibble everything else - my over-wintering onion sets have been decimated by the cute fury little bundles of joys (!)

I can relate to the bunny problem. I had a cob nut tree on my plot. As soon as the nuts ripened I turned up with a basket and the squirrels had had the lot overnight.

Sorted the problem out by getting the local morris side in to coppice the tree (leaving a few branches). I now have much more room to plant stuff and the squirrels are on a diet.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I have kept your list, Robbity. I was thinking of blueberries until I saw the price! That being said there is a nice little patio set of blueberries for £11.00 - knowing what the price of blueberries is like in the supermarkets - I think this will pay for itself in the first year!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blueberry-Collection-3-Varieties-9cm-Pot/dp/B009VIY85A?ie=UTF8&keywords=blueberry plants for sale uk&qid=1460975242&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

How on earth did your husband manage to kill all your plants? that takes some doing.
Have you got 'The range' shop nearby you? They have small potted blueberry bushes for..umm (trying to remember the price)..£2.'something' per bush. If you select couple of different varieties of blueberry bushes..that will ensure they get cross pollinated and they yield better than having just one or all of them the same variety..;)

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Hi there....another one here with a allotment :)...well, two actually. I've got about 1/4 acre or 40 poles 'in old money' of space for growing....absolutely all sorts. I've got my plots about 15 yrs or bit longer....can't remember exactly :rolleyes:
At least half of that space is for fruit and berries...and now I'm doing low carb, I bet we get bumper crop of fruit this year...ending up with mountains of apples and pears, and peaches and plums and.....:banghead:
Even I've able to crop more than we really eat berries, this spring I've increased my potential yields...planted many new bushes since we seem to be eating now more of that sort of stuff. But I loooooooooooove my apples...I'm going to miss them if I'm only able to have odd one every now and then :(
Beekeeping is on a low burner as well and I'm winding down that part...getting honey into jars is so much messy work and I don't even eat the stuff...as nice as it is...particularly with porridge....'sigh'..:(
Polytunnel is getting full up with all the different brassica plants...soo will be planting time for those:) Some spinach and salad stuff is already sprouting too. Climbing spinach is nearly ready for first pickings..just need touch of more growth on. I've been harvesting sprouting broccoli for few weeks now as well as kale, plenty of that stuff!
All my fruit trees are just about to start flowering....looking forward to that...it is soooo beautiful site and petals falling all over the place makes it look like snow showers.
It's been sooo cold and wet spring here so far and my plots have been holding their breath in waiting for turn to warmer spell..things will absolutely burst into growth once the weather improve.
Oh...and I like to grow loads and loads of toms, cucumbers , chillies and peppers too..:angelic: As a result I have young plants all over the place in house and in polytunner....waiting to grow little bigger and then to be planted into greenhouses in their final positions.
Oh...blueberries....oh, yes...plenty of those bushes too..blueberries are so expensive to buy if you want to use them regularly/ in quantity and yet they are one of the easiest things to grow and look after.
I could carry on rattling about plants and growing...but I'll have deep breath and concentrate to have my breakkie..but I'll be back to rattle some more....and that is a warning! ;)

ETA: forgot....RHUBARB...I've been looking forward to that crop for all winter and I've managed to crop couple of small lots so far...:hungry:YUM! Soon there will be forest of stalks and I won't touch the stuff anymore..nice as it is..but too much is too much.. :rolleyes:

Oh thanks so much for all the info about your plots. I have 140m2 (town planner, therefore I use metric). I am really interested in the blueberries as I said earlier. They are great and quite low carb. Nice to have a bit of fruit to nibble on and they appear to have virtually magical properties.

I don't feel brave enough yet to try the brassicas, I am not good at the netting and covering, but spinach is on my list of things to do along with beans, squashes, courgettes, onions, leeks and suchlike. I think I will reserve a spot for berries. Do blueberries need netting?

Dont have enough room for a polytunnel or a shed, so am trying to blag some room in a friend's greenhouse. I will keep everyone posted.

P

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on a couple of waiting lists for an allotment in my area, but still no luck. Current garden is handkerchief sized. :(

I dream of a space to grow my own tomatoes, peppers, golden courgettes (I've had success with these in tubs, so might try it on the patio), beetroot (for the leaves too), rainbow chard, globe and Jerusalem artichokes... Lots of garlic, too! Oh, and sorrel, it should be in season now, and I love the lemony scent of the big green leaves. Colourful caulis, broccoli and kale...

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Be warned - Blueberries need an acidic soil so you'll need to work at that most probably.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
I'm on a couple of waiting lists for an allotment in my area, but still no luck. Current garden is handkerchief sized. :(

I dream of a space to grow my own tomatoes, peppers, golden courgettes (I've had success with these in tubs, so might try it on the patio), beetroot (for the leaves too), rainbow chard, globe and Jerusalem artichokes... Lots of garlic, too! Oh, and sorrel, it should be in season now, and I love the lemony scent of the big green leaves. Colourful caulis, broccoli and kale...

Hi Larissima,

I found a great contributor to youtube who grows stuff in containers. Perhaps that may be helpful for you until you can get on an allotment.

Might be an idea to go down to your allotment and see if any of the plot holders have a little corner for you. I have a friend who does this and she is thrilled to bits with it.

Here is the link for the container man

P

Reactions: 4 people