The U.K. Are Getting New Food Guidelines Next Month!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Where did you read/hear it Kevin?

Major news headlines in my Apple News app that drives all my news aggregation on my phone...sox I can't remember the media channel:)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, the Eat Well Guide is a tiny incremental shift in the right direction, I think we also have to appreciate that it is an absolutely general guide, without any account of medical conditions or tolerances.

It's just a variation to daily guidelines for calories consumed. The NHS guidelines for men and women, respectively are 2000 and 2500 calories per day, but I'm sure most of us would also rail against that being accepted without considering all manner of other factors.

So many myths are being bust at the moment, and so many historic metrics need to be addressed, it'll take time.

Reactions: 2 people

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree @KevinPotts and @AndBreathe. For the medical community (which is notoriously slow to change or admit they were giving wrong advice) it is significant in the correct direction...

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
I won't be shouting you down...you're spot on and get my vote:)

DIAGNOSED: 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

UPDATE: 16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 25g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

Me as well.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Woooo... Yep the headlines informed me first thing this morning, so unless some media channel/reporter is misbehaving.... which would not surprise me....potatoes and starchy veg are being moved off the bottom rung within the "stuff your face with carbs" category and moved up to a "moderate only please":)

So, at least there seems to be a scintilla of progress inching us forward:)

Did anybody else pick up this media piece or was I dreaming?

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

Australia have just changed theirs?

http://nutritionaustralia.org/national/resource/healthy-eating-pyramid

Sounds like the one you may have seen, it's a very mediterranean style.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's an interesting one, but no it's not that I was aware of the Australian changes...I'm pretty sure it was little old UK:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

You will have to keep your eye out for it, it will be interesting if they have, the UK only changed the advice earlier this year already.
March I believe, and not due for another two years.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You will have to keep your eye out for it, it will be interesting if they have, the UK only changed the advice earlier this year already.
March I believe, and not due for another two years.

Emmmm....I'm probably being an idiot, or maybe I read an old piece, they had just bundled in:) Could be that!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Emmmm....I'm probably being an idiot, or maybe I read an old piece, they had just bundled in:) Could be that!

That was the eatwell plate, I don't know if they still support the pyramid of not.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That was the eatwell plate, I don't know if they still support the pyramid of not.

Curioser....and curioser:)

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could someone plz tell me of there average meals a day cause I'm single and I'm running out of recipes to do plus I'm a first time cooker lol

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum
Theres a thread on this forum in the "sticky" section called "What have you eaten today" where people post their daily meals, I've had lots of good ideas from that. There are also lots of recipes in the Low Carb forum. I got a brilliant low carb bread recipe from there which i now make twice a week and then that's my packed lunch sorted.

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thx toomanycrisps but the thing is I've been told that much advice in alittle time and some contridict the other and the other thing I'm not a really good cook lol and cooking for one I'm finding it hard.........my levels are coming down from high 20s and low 30s to 12 morning then gradually works up throughout the day to 24

This morning I've had cornflakes for breakfast, lunch I will have soup (without bread) then for main meal I might have chicken breast salad

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thx toomanycrisps but the thing is I've been told that much advice in alittle time and some contridict the other and the other thing I'm not a really good cook lol and cooking for one I'm finding it hard.........my levels are coming down from high 20s and low 30s to 12 morning then gradually works up throughout the day to 24

This morning I've had cornflakes for breakfast, lunch I will have soup (without bread) then for main meal I might have chicken breast salad

The world of nutrition is a minefield for everyone regardless of their nutritional needs or illnesses. You are on the right lines, however those cornflakes will do you no good as they are full of sugar and carbs! Your lunch and evening listed here are much the same as I choose. In most cases it's not massive or dramatic changes that you have to make, do take a look at the low carb section of the forum. You can go low carb and not cook, but it is difficult and you have to be very discerning about the food you choose. In most case though it's just little things that need tweaking, e.g. When having a roast dinner do not have more than one roast potatoes (some would say none) and leave off the Yorkshire pudding.

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thx roseofsharon I will look at recipes for breakfast but whatever I choose for breakfast it can't have eggs in it cause I take creon 40,000 with every meal I get severe constipation so if you have any ideas all welcome

lindisfel

Expert
According to Zoe Harcombe there are more carbs in the eat well guide than the plate. She sees it as a formula for increasing obesesity. But on the other hand one should be thankful the selfless food companies could have there input and keep us from the ultimate vice of saturated fat! :);) D.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unlike the selfless Zoe?
It's a good hook though, we all know any one anti-establishment must be on your side?
And it doesn't cost too much, she tells us, with an easy payment plan.
And the options to buy the books, for another very reasonable cost.

http://payment.theharcombedietclub.com/

I tend to be a little bit cynical of guru's that tell you what you want to hear, then upsell what you actually need to hear. I sure many find it good value for money though.

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
According to Zoe Harcombe there are more carbs in the eat well guide than the plate. She sees it as a formula for increasing obesesity. But on the other hand one should be thankful the selfless food companies could have there input and keep us from the ultimate vice of saturated fat! :);) D.

And I thought we were edging forward with progress, be it ever so slightly....shows you what a naive newbie I am:)

Last edited by a moderator: