Balance mentions new pump - Mylife YpsoPump

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
tis fine as long as you use novorapid insulin, again the choice of insulin is taken away.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
tis fine as long as you use novorapid insulin, again the choice of insulin is taken away.

Really, it states its compatible with the prefilled Novorapid cartridges but that you can also self fill it with any insulin ?
  • Pre-filled cartridge for quick and convenient cartridge change
  • Self-filled reservoir for your insulin of choice

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've not seen any announcement of EMA or FDA approval yet, so we don't know when it will be available.

What's far more interesting to some of us is that it has bluetooth integration with an App. Time to hack it to work with OpenAPS/Loop....

Last edited:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Really, it states its compatible with the prefilled Novorapid cartridges but that you can also self fill it with any insulin ?
  • Pre-filled cartridge for quick and convenient cartridge change
  • Self-filled reservoir for your insulin of choice
Ah ok sorry didn't see that bit, thanks for pointing it out :)

Reactions: Chas C

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks cool!

Although I'm a non-pump user, I think being able to chuck in a pre-filled cartridge would be a lot quicker than filling/changing reservoirs. And I guess it ultimately means less spares to cart around if you ever go away for the weekend, holiday, etc.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Looks cool!

Although I'm a non-pump user, I think being able to chuck in a pre-filled cartridge would be a lot quicker than filling/changing reservoirs. And I guess it ultimately means less spares to cart around if you ever go away for the weekend, holiday, etc.

Very true - which is why I still miss my old pump, which was, I understand, the only pump that took any 3ml pen cartridge : (

Personally, I don't like the pre-filled cartridges as it limits you to just that insulin. Before I got my current pump, I was concerned about fiddling about filling cartridges, but actually it's quick and easy. The nuisance is having another thing to cart about along with all the other stuff we have to carry.

I'm always interested in new pumps. The rotating set looks interesting there.

Reactions: himtoo

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very true - which is why I still miss my old pump, which was, I understand, the only pump that took any 3ml pen cartridge : (

Personally, I don't like the pre-filled cartridges as it limits you to just that insulin. Before I got my current pump, I was concerned about fiddling about filling cartridges, but actually it's quick and easy. The nuisance is having another thing to cart about along with all the other stuff we have to carry.

I'm always interested in new pumps. The rotating set looks interesting there.
Yeah I guess you're right @azure, a pump is a huge financial investment and should there be (for reasons unknown) an issue with your usual bolus insulin that results in it needing to be changed to a different type; then you're stuck with an expensive, unusable pump...

Is it likely to need to change bolus insulin though?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Seems that Ypsomed got approval earlier this year from the EMA.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I guess you're right @azure, a pump is a huge financial investment and should there be (for reasons unknown) an issue with your usual bolus insulin that results in it needing to be changed to a different type; then you're stuck with an expensive, unusable pump...

Is it likely to need to change bolus insulin though?

It's not so much that as the imposition - "You want this pump with pre-filled cartridges? Then you have to use this insulin". Some people might not care but I do, both personally and on principle.

And yes, I've changed my insulin since being on my pump :)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not so much that as the imposition - "You want this pump with pre-filled cartridges? Then you have to use this insulin". Some people might not care but I do, both personally and on principle.

And yes, I've changed my insulin since being on my pump :)
Since you've put it that way, you're definitely right - we should have as much option as possible. You'll have to excuse my ignorance as well; I was under the assumption that all pre-filled cartridges were the same size. That would also make too much sense:)

Reactions: azure

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I have been offered a trial with this pump starting next Tuesday. I have had T1D for 23years and this will be my first pump! Not sure if I am nervous, scared or excited!?!
do your best to be excited -- after 23 years it will be a big change but you will be fine :)
loads of pumpers on here to help if you need any questions answering !!

I was a bit nervous starting 13 months ago -- but it has been the best and biggest change in ages

all the best !

Reactions: Struma

hetty1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
do your best to be excited -- after 23 years it will be a big change but you will be fine :)
loads of pumpers on here to help if you need any questions answering !!

I was a bit nervous starting 13 months ago -- but it has been the best and biggest change in ages

all the best !

Thank you

I am hoping it will be what I am needing to get my control that little bit tighter.
I will defiantly be coming on here for some help and advice it's a great resource.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have been offered a trial with this pump starting next Tuesday. I have had T1D for 23years and this will be my first pump! Not sure if I am nervous, scared or excited!?!

Good luck with it and do keep us all informed how you are getting on with it.
Yes you will be nervous because it's all new but I'm sure you will be fine. Have you bought the book pumping insulin by John Walsh(Amazon)? If not do so as it's worth it's weight in gold.

hetty1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck with it and do keep us all informed how you are getting on with it.
Yes you will be nervous because it's all new but I'm sure you will be fine. Have you bought the book pumping insulin by John Walsh(Amazon)? If not do so as it's worth it's weight in gold.

Just been on an ordered the book! Any kind of help is great

Reactions: CarbsRok and himtoo

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had another thought about a potential benefit of this pump today...

If I were to use this pump, and given my situation (working away from home on a 2 week on/off basis), I would need to carry MDI spares in case of a pump failure. Seeing as this pump takes pre-filled Novorapid cartridges, that would mean the spare bolus insulin for my pump and insulin pen would be common.

Not only does that mean having less to cart around, but it also means less insulin potentially wasted. I wouldn't need to throw away the cartridges that I'd taken out the fridge (MDI bolus insulin backup) when it's past it's 4 week 'best before' period. Any potential saving to our NHS is a major one in my opinion...

Of course, I could get some sort of cooler that would keep the insulin between 2-8degC on the commute to the ship, store it in a well controlled fridge on arrival - but having interchangeable pump and pen insulin would ultimately mean one less thing to worry about. And I'm all for that:)

Last edited:

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@GrantGam1337 Don't be fooled by the 'cartridge' bit. It looks like a pump cart - that is, a cartridge designed for that pump not a normal pen cartridge.

http://www.mylife-diabetescare.com/mylife-ypsopump-cartridge.html

As I said above, only my old pump took normal pen cartridges, which allowed me to use them as you describe.
****... Forget what I said then:)

Edit to add - it does help to read the product information correctly:

http://www.mylife-diabetescare.com/mylife-ypsopump-cartridge.html

Why not just make it a 3ml pen cartridge like you mentioned with your old pump @azure? It would make so much sense!

Reactions: azure

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The thing I look at is "It's another one of those stupid pumps with wee cartridges". I like a 3ml cartridge. It means I only have to change the reservoir once a week. I don't want to have to change twice a week. :banghead::grumpy: