You can succeed in converting diabetes to pre-diabetes ?

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing

I try to lower the level of sugar and control it and I hope to fall to the level of pre-diabetes or even without diabetes Is this possible and how long it takes and what are the conditions

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That will depend on a huge number of variables..
My last few HbA1c tests have shown me to be back in "normal" levels
I credit intermittent fasting and drastically lowering my carbohydrate intake for those results.
That was my personal experience.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
That will depend on a huge number of variables..
My last few HbA1c tests have shown me to be back in "normal" levels
I credit intermittent fasting and drastically lowering my carbohydrate intake for those results.

Yes, I've had the same personal experience :)

Reactions: kokhongw

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing

Two important reasons hunger and lack of carbohydrates

Reactions: carina62

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure about "hunger" I just don't eat in the morning.. not sure I feel hunger from that.

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Not sure about "hunger" I just don't eat in the morning.. not sure I feel hunger from that.
I'm also thinking about an egg plan in the morning and low-carbohydrate affairs in the evening, and lunch will be a sport

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Depends how you use words!

Here in America, "pre-diabetes" is when you are diagnosed with an HbA1C level of between 5.7% (39) and 6.4% (46 or 47). Actual T2 diabetes is a level of 6.5% (48) or higher. Are you diabetic, or pre-diabetic? (Your avatar shows you as T2, implying that you are diabetic.)

As I understand it, if you have been diagnosed with T2 diabetes, you can never become "pre-diabetic" later. What you may be able to do, however, is to reduce your blood sugar levels down to the pre-diabetic range and even, to the non-diabetic range.

There are all sorts of methods to achieve this. Some of us can do it with diet alone, others with diet plus drugs, and some of us must use insulin. Some of us start out diagnosed as pre-diabetic, then become diabetic. Some of us can manage for many years with diet or drugs in a stable situation, while for some of us, the condition gets worse over time.

(Finally remember that I am not a doctor, and probably 99.9 percent of the posters on this forum are not doctors either. What I have written above is just what I learned in the past nine months and some of it may be wrong.)

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I know my friend you are not a doctor but you are teacher

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I try to lower the level of sugar and control it and I hope to fall to the level of pre-diabetes or even without diabetes Is this possible and how long it takes and what are the conditions

Yes. Within 3 months and maintained for 2 years now...

On the latest multi billion dollar busting T2D therapy...
12232713_10153806535704445_7312677211844994735_o.jpg

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are too modest, حبيبي.

If I may give you some advice, post some details about your experience here. When were you diagnosed, what drugs are you taking, and (easily the most important thing initially) did they test something called the "HbA1C."

You are in Morocco. In French the HbA1C test is also called "hémoglobine glyquée." It is a relatively new test (only for the past 20 years or so) and in America it was standardized less than 10 years ago. It also used to be more expensive than the old "fasting glucose" test. I assume that they are doing this test in Morocco, as it has become the "gold standard" in diagnosing diabetes, and tracking it over the long term.

If your doctor did not tell you your A1C, or give you a written test result, you really should ask for it. Here in America, when I was diagnosed, my doctor said only that because my A1C was high, I had developed diabetes. To find out the actual level, I had to ask him specifically.

It is a bit hard for us to give advice without knowing anything about your condition. I know this is a bit personal, sorry about that. But if your A1C level was really high at diagnosis, the advice could be a bit different from the advice for someone with a lower level.

Edited to add: In addition to getting the data about blood glucose (HbA1C) you might consider calculating your Body-Mass Index (BMI). You can use online calculators. Or, if you prefer doing the math yourself: divide your weight in kilos, by the square of your height in meters. In my case, I weigh 71 kilos. My height is 1.93 meters, which, squared, is 3.73. Every time I weigh myself, I divide the kilos by 3.73. Piece of cake, and you learn something in the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: HICHAM_T2
Type of diabetes
Type 2
I found out that diet will help you reduce yr.sugar level. When you are ready to do it you will do it. When you get fed up of this Diabetis thing you will fast. Tablets etc have bad side effects like lowering your libido etc. Finally if you then combine it with regular exercise,You have w one. BURN the Diabetis with exercise. After sometime you won't need any drugs and you are free. Diabetis gone.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
You are too modest, حبيبي.

If I may give you some advice, post some details about your experience here. When were you diagnosed, what drugs are you taking, and (easily the most important thing initially) did they test something called the "HbA1C."

You are in Morocco. In French the HbA1C test is also called "hémoglobine glyquée." It is a relatively new test (only for the past 20 years or so) and in America it was standardized less than 10 years ago. It also used to be more expensive than the old "fasting glucose" test. I assume that they are doing this test in Morocco, as it has become the "gold standard" in diagnosing diabetes, and tracking it over the long term.

If your doctor did not tell you your A1C, or give you a written test result, you really should ask for it. Here in America, when I was diagnosed, my doctor said only that because my A1C was high, I had developed diabetes. To find out the actual level, I had to ask him specifically.

It is a bit hard for us to give advice without knowing anything about your condition. I know this is a bit personal, sorry about that. But if your A1C level was really high at diagnosis, the advice could be a bit different from the advice for someone with a lower level.

Edited to add: In addition to getting the data about blood glucose (HbA1C) you might consider calculating your Body-Mass Index (BMI). You can use online calculators. Or, if you prefer doing the math yourself: divide your weight in kilos, by the square of your height in meters. In my case, I weigh 71 kilos. My height is 1.93 meters, which, squared, is 3.73. Every time I weigh myself, I divide the kilos by 3.73. Piece of cake, and you learn something in the process.
What a beautiful word حبيبي
I want to thank you very much

My A1c was 12.80% 29.9.2017 my SB was 2.82mg/dl without metformin and Diamicron Now I have between 104mg to 140

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
What a beautiful word حبيبي
I want to thank you very much

My A1c was 12.80% 29.9.2017 my SB was 2.82mg/dl without metformin and Diamicron Now I have between 104mg to 140
My BS With test meals
c9506b69f758b8de44407df660564925.jpg

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That is very high, but there are lots of people on this forum who started out with similar levels and have been successful in bringing their T2 under control.

Again, prefacing this with "I am not a doctor," it is not surprising that your doctor has prescribed drugs. With a combination of drugs, diet and exercise, you will succeed in reducing your blood glucose (BG) levels. You posted a graph that looks good, but I cannot comment much on it because I don't self-test my own daily BG levels and don't really understand those numbers.

Start a food diary. You like using phone apps so probably you've already found a way to do that. Measure the grams of carbohydrates and keep below a certain daily level (up to you to decide the level).

Warning: Diamicron is also known as Gliclazide. "Gliclazide, like other sulfonylurea drugs, can cause symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) including dizziness, lack of energy, drowsiness, headache, and sweating have been observed."

There is an interaction between the Diamicron and the low-carb diet. If you do not adjust the dosage of the drug while reducing your food carbs, you may suffer from hypos. I have never taken drugs for diabetes, so you should ask your doctor for advice about this. People on this forum will also have lots of useful advice about this.

In my opinion, your goal should be to try to control your T2 so well (using diet and exercise) that you can stop taking the Diamicron. This may well be impossible, but (if I were in your place) that is what I would try to do. Your doctor may be against it, and you will find some people on this forum who may be against it. The "conventional wisdom" is against it.

Good luck!!!

P.S. Do consider keeping track of your BMI. It makes a bit of difference whether you are an "overweight" diabetic, or a stick-thin one like me. We are all pretty much in it together, but the advice does have to be tailored a bit for body type. If you are very overweight or obese, losing weight should be a priority.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I went from diabetic Hba1c of 91 to prediabetic 47 in 80 days then to under prediabetic 41 at 6 months.
My doctor is not interested now, so no more tests until my next health check some time next year.
I avoid carbohydrates, eat about 60 gm of carbs a day from low carb foods.