First appointment to see the nurse this week to discuss my borderline diabetes.

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
I had an HbA1c of 43 with just a note to say 'Abnormal, see the nurse'. The cholesterol was high as well: Total - 6.7. The HbA1c has been at <41 > for 5 years but I was shocked to see it had risen this year. 5 years ago when I was diagnosed with hypertension I lost 3 stone, and although I did all the things advised for a healthier lifestyle it made no difference to the blood pressure and I do take tablets for that. No statins though [I have resisted them so far] but my Qrisk has now risen to 18% so am expecting the pressure to be applied.. I know I need to alter my diet - but initially wanted to see what normal carbs would show.

Anyway on the advice of this forum I bought a Codefree meter and am struggling to get used to it. I have tested before and after the evening meal as advised and first thing in the morning. I have not followed any special diet [ie. low carb] so far and expect to be told what to do to improve matters by the nurse this week.

I have the feeling these numbers are not good for a pre-diabetic? I would be interested in your opinions, I do find the various charts for glucose levels rather confusing.

Fasting :- 6.1; 6.5; 6.6; 6.2
dinner:- 6.9/8.1; 6.1/7.5; X/10.5; 5.8/9.4

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with your apointment , it seems that most get almost no Real guidence hope your GP is among the better ones .
But in This forum you can get advice that do make a change

Reactions: dbr10

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I am looking at this with a perspective from America, which is where I am.

The difference between 41 and 43 is within the margin of error that is often quoted here. In which case, it is not statistically significant. In my opinion, what matters is the trend. If it has been rising inexorably each time the test is done, action seems appropriate.

In America the pre-diabetic range starts at 39 by the way. "Pre-diabetic" is a slippery term.

If indeed you are seeing a rising trend in your HbA1c, diet may be the only way you can reverse the trend. There is a wealth of information available on the low-carb diet. Because your numbers are still officially "pre-diabetic" you may be able to reverse the trend with a "moderate-carb" or "low-carb" diet.

The good news is that, starting from where you are now, the experience of members on this forum seems to show that you have a good chance of success with this approach.

As to what advice they will give you when you "see the nurse," who knows, but the experience of many on this forum is that you may be advised to use a "balanced diet" or the "eatwell plate." On its own, this is unlikely to achieve what you are looking for (in my opinion).

Good luck, and please keep being curious and asking questions.

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
So I am looking at this with a perspective from America, which is where I am.

The difference between 41 and 43 is within the margin of error that is often quoted here. In which case, it is not statistically significant. In my opinion, what matters is the trend. If it has been rising inexorably each time the test is done, action seems appropriate.

In America the pre-diabetic range starts at 39 by the way. "Pre-diabetic" is a slippery term.

If indeed you are seeing a rising trend in your HbA1c, diet may be the only way you can reverse the trend. There is a wealth of information available on the low-carb diet. Because your numbers are still officially "pre-diabetic" you may be able to reverse the trend with a "moderate-carb" or "low-carb" diet.

The good news is that, starting from where you are now, the experience of members on this forum seems to show that you have a good chance of success with this approach.

As to what advice they will give you when you "see the nurse," who knows, but the experience of many on this forum is that you may be advised to use a "balanced diet" or the "eatwell plate." On its own, this is unlikely to achieve what you are looking for (in my opinion).

Good luck, and please keep being curious and asking questions.

Ah, the Eatwell plate ... that is a joke I do know. What is it - 50% rice, pasta and potatoes and bread ? As if that is a good idea for diabetics or even non-diabetics!
I have a neighbour who is a practice nurse, sadly not our practice, and I've heard her say that they have to dish out this mantra implying their jobs would be on the line if they didn't. What they think in private is another matter.
I'll see what happens but whatever does happen it looks like the low carb diet is the way to go. Or the blood sugar diet by Michael Moseley which is a variation on the same thing I think.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah, the Eatwell plate ... that is a joke I do know. What is it - 50% rice, pasta and potatoes and bread ? As if that is a good idea for diabetics or even non-diabetics!
I have a neighbour who is a practice nurse, sadly not our practice, and I've heard her say that they have to dish out this mantra implying their jobs would be on the line if they didn't. What they think in private is another matter.
I'll see what happens but whatever does happen it looks like the low carb diet is the way to go. Or the blood sugar diet by Michael Moseley which is a variation on the same thing I think.
Good luck.