Peeler99 asks - Is swim an steam room good for me?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our member, @Peeler is having a few problems logging on to join in with us, so has asked me to post this on his behalf. Hopefully he'll be able to reply shortly, but here we go:

Peeler99 asks:

"I AM A TYPE ONE DIABETIC FOR 40 YEARS. I GO SWIMMING TWICE A WEEK. NOT FIT TO DO A LOT BUT LOVE
THE STEAM ROOM FOR A MAXIMUM OF 10 MINUTES AFTER EACH SESSION. IS IT GOOD FOR BAD FOR ME ?"

Peeler99's profile can be found here, forr some additional information: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/members/peeler99.289568/

Thanks guys

D

Deleted Account

I have seen advice that steam rooms are not suitable for people with diabetes. However, when I looked into It, all I could find was risk that you wouldn't notice a hypo so I have continued steaming with no obvious negative side effects.

Reactions: therower

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
If you put "steam room" into the search facility a number of things come up, including all the people "letting off steam", but that's the nature of searches. The discussion I remembered was from 2014, https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/sauna-jacuzzi.59809/#post-568352 and, while I had seen a notice in our local gym/sauna/steam room set up about diabetics, it seemed to refer to potential foot injuries (purleeese, don't vulnerable diabetics own flip flops without nanny having to get involved), others referred to the heat causing potential hypos. Experienced insulin users adapt accordingly. So no problems if you allow for your own circumstances
Sally

Reactions: therower

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Our member, @Peeler is having a few problems logging on to join in with us, so has asked me to post this on his behalf. Hopefully he'll be able to reply shortly, but here we go:

Peeler99 asks:

"I AM A TYPE ONE DIABETIC FOR 40 YEARS. I GO SWIMMING TWICE A WEEK. NOT FIT TO DO A LOT BUT LOVE
THE STEAM ROOM FOR A MAXIMUM OF 10 MINUTES AFTER EACH SESSION. IS IT GOOD FOR BAD FOR ME ?"

Peeler99's profile can be found here, forr some additional information: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/members/peeler99.289568/

Thanks guys
Hi, I regularly use the steam room at the pool where I swim and have also used hot tubs on weekend breaks with no adverse effect.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Love a steam, sauna, jacuzzi and a pool. Had no problem with any of them. Am actually having more problems in this excessive cold.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've done Sweedish & Indian saunas along with steamers in the UK, with no adverse effects..
Caution with regular BS checks Are advised, the activity can increase insulin sensitivity.

Relax & enjoy!

Reactions: becca59

Redvee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been to a sauna/spa place in London and saw advice notices regarding diabetes and made a note of the organisation at the bottom of the notice but when I returned home I couldn't find the website etc despite taking a picture of the url. I check my BS levels regularly so would notice hypo onset warning signs too.