Metformin and bowels (look away if squeamish)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Slightly complicated story.
I have been taking Metformin for quite a while (currently on 3 * 500 mg) and also been taking cod liver oil capsules for a year or so.

Recent reading here and elsewhere lead my to try Thiamine, plus a Vitamin B supplement for most/all B vitamins, and Turmeric for my joints. So getting to the stage where I rattled when I walked.

I had an unexpected foot problem - pain near the toes and swelling on top of the foot - with no obvious cause and it wasn't clearing up. So just in case, I stopped all pills.

I was off Metformin for about 4-5 days and I noticed a distinct change in my bowel movements. They returned to what I hazily remember as "normal" from back before LCHF and even before diagnosis. Plump, ripe and fully formed. :wideyed:

I wondered if this was a change of diet due to the start of the BBQ season, but having been off the Metformin without any noticeable change to my foot (but a slightly higher BG level) I restarted. First thing was a sudden "Ooops!" moment and a rapid trip to the loo. Second thing was a return to Metformin normal which I can best describe and a loose movement followed by a stiff movement followed by a loose movement.....

From this I conclude that Metformin does change my bowels, and that I adapt to this very quickly and also un-adapt equally quickly.

However I can't see any evidence that the Metformin is involved in my foot problem.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
foot problem is interesting.

Seems to be strained ligaments. I have no idea how this happened because there was no "Argh!" moment.
Still going down very slowly but much less painful.
As far as I can tell nobody will be interested unless/until it happens a second time.

pmailkeey

Hi,

I'm on 6 Metformin a day(3x1g) - and take 30mg Codeine with each pair of tablets (1g) - puts bowels back to normal.
Mention to GP about the problem - and if offered something, ask if it's cheaper than codeine ! Codeine is available in 15mg tablets.
I presume you are taking the Metformin 3 times a day, 1 tablet. If you're not taking it immediately after a meal, try that first.