Pre Diabetes Or Diabetes For A Decade, Undiagnosed.

Pretty dangerous, right?

I checked the blood work record 10 ys ago. Y2009, Found that my fasting blood sugar is 6.0 mmol, which can be diagnosed as pre diabetes, yet in Asian standard, it's still normal for their reference number is under 6.1 mmol

In Canadian ER, Random blood sugar 8.5mmol, 9.5mmol, 12.5 mmol, 7.0 mmmol, 7.9 mmmol, 7.8 mmol, undiagnosed again.

Fasting blood sugar 5.8mmol once, others are all under 5.6mmol, undiagnosed again.

I used to have protein in urine, slightly blurry vision, unhealed injury for years, but never think if it's diabetes, for I have hypothyroidism and autoimmune disorder as well.

BTW, my lipid is bad, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, high LDL.family doctors don't link it with possible diabetes.

My fasting insulin is higher than the normal range, 176mmol, 205 mmol, 2 hours after meal was 295 mmol. 5 to 190mmol is the normal range. Apprently hyperinsulinmia.

Plus, I also have about 4 years of fatty liver.

Now it's 2018, last time fasting blood sugar 6.5 mmol, finally showed impaired glucose fasting in the report . According to Canadian standard reference.

However, my Ha1c is always at 5.1-5.6.

Canadian doctors refused to diagnose as prediabetes. As those numbers are pretty bad.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In all practical terms, having Pre-Diabetes is to just sit on a continuum that goes from normal to abnormal.
I wouldn't let yourself get distracted with blame and criticism of what was (and wasn't) done in the past.

The way forward is simple - start today, and do the best you can for your health.

Here in the UK doctors often don't bother to tell people they are pre-D because it isn't actually a medical condition, just a way of labelling people.

(as background for myself, I was pre-D for over 20 years, and the docs never gave any advice or information. They only discovered it because of other checks I had, then called me in sporadically for glucose tolerance tests and rarely bothered to tell me the results. It made no difference whatsoever. I carried on doing what seemed right at the time, and slowly moved my eating patterns around looking for something that made me feel OK. I think we all do this)

Reactions: zand
P

pollensa

In all practical terms, having Pre-Diabetes is to just sit on a continuum that goes from normal to abnormal.
I wouldn't let yourself get distracted with blame and criticism of what was (and wasn't) done in the past.

The way forward is simple - start today, and do the best you can for your health.

Here in the UK doctors often don't bother to tell people they are pre-D because it isn't actually a medical condition, just a way of labelling people.

(as background for myself, I was pre-D for over 20 years, and the docs never gave any advice or information. They only discovered it because of other checks I had, then called me in sporadically for glucose tolerance tests and rarely bothered to tell me the results. It made no difference whatsoever. I carried on doing what seemed right at the time, and slowly moved my eating patterns around looking for something that made me feel OK. I think we all do this)
Exactly as stated indicated officially Pre Diabetes as I understand also, is not an official registered disease, a label that is given because one is something between normal and abnormal, yet, given the label for something that may not happen, is another question? too. Its a pity until Pre D becomes officially a disease, one should either be normal non diabetic and or diabetic?
just a question, with advices, ones sugars are higher than normal, caution take care, wake up, yet do not deliver the label as Pre simply the person, follows advices, takes charge of their body to do something in the higher than normal sugar stage whilst doing this, they do not have affixed label?

Its exciting to see that someone has actually put forward that Pre Diabetes is not viewed as a medical condition and i.e. it is not officially registered as being a disease, as many people do not understand this, and assume presume, that told Pre D they have a medical recognised or official disease same as Diabetes, which to my understanding is not the case.??

Interesting advices given shared, thank you.

Reactions: _insulin_spike
P

pollensa

Pretty dangerous, right?

I checked the blood work record 10 ys ago. Y2009, Found that my fasting blood sugar is 6.0 mmol, which can be diagnosed as pre diabetes, yet in Asian standard, it's still normal for their reference number is under 6.1 mmol

In Canadian ER, Random blood sugar 8.5mmol, 9.5mmol, 12.5 mmol, 7.0 mmmol, 7.9 mmmol, 7.8 mmol, undiagnosed again.

Fasting blood sugar 5.8mmol once, others are all under 5.6mmol, undiagnosed again.

I used to have protein in urine, slightly blurry vision, unhealed injury for years, but never think if it's diabetes, for I have hypothyroidism and autoimmune disorder as well.

BTW, my lipid is bad, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, high LDL.family doctors don't link it with possible diabetes.

My fasting insulin is higher than the normal range, 176mmol, 205 mmol, 2 hours after meal was 295 mmol. 5 to 190mmol is the normal range. Apprently hyperinsulinmia.

Now it's 2018, last time fasting blood sugar 6.5 mmol, finally showed impaired glucose fasting in the report . According to Canadian standard reference.

Canadian doctors refused to diagnose as prediabetes. As those numbers are pretty bad.

What a good post, especially raising awareness of the variations between countries, and this has been a concern area of myself, being victim of same, i.e. here in Spain A1C 6.6% is viewed diabetic, with only one test I might Add, other countries, it is required two tests and those two tests to show over the cut off line, especially if one does not have any symptoms, but on the other hand if I fly back down to New Zealand, the same result of an A1C 6.6% is viewed labelled as pre Diabetes with caution, monitoring, and actual label is not given just caution warning for 6 months before another test taken.

Just confuse there are variations too, normal 108mg/dl i.e. can be viewed as 6.1mmol/l or some charges say its 6.0mmol/l?

New Zealand make it clear A1C 100% they state if one is 6.6 or equal to or below equates to pre diabetes range, this makes it clear to a person if their result is 6.6% A1C the fact their result is actually 6.6% they are pre diabetes not diabetic, compared to spain, if ones results are "equal to, sitting on the number", they view differently to NZ by stating giving label Diabetes.

thanks for sharing your comments and info its very good to see and for someone to raise these issues amongst other for knowledge to others, I am concerned personally about this area of differences, I am minority it seems, as generally no one seems to be bothered they may fall victim to variations and differences when diagnosed between counties???

thank you for info presented mentioning different viewings as explained. Very worthwhile info. My own experience, I have had normal blood finger testing as normal x 2 years, yet one A1C showed discordant error result due to this.

P

pollensa

Pretty dangerous, right?

Good knowledge of information points raised, especially the differences of 6.0 mmol and 6.1mmol also Ha1C levels.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Pretty dangerous, right?

Everything you have posted is usual, especially those with prediabetes, the higher than normal post prandial readings, the hyperinsulinaemia, fatty liver, high cholesterol and your fasting and hba1c levels are normal!!!

This was how I was before I was misdiagnosed in May 2009, I was prediabetic from 2001. Both wrong, but that is another story.

Being told you are prediabetic, is a warning that if you don't change your lifestyle, you will become diabetic. There must be some concern because of the test for insulin levels, usually not done, except for an endocrinologist.
Take heed, your hyperinsulinaemia is cause for you to have a healthier diet, to reduce your carbs intake and maybe change your outlook on doing something to be healthy.

Best wishes

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You could look at the higher fasting blood glucose range (and the raised insulin levels) as a signal that you are consuming a higher level of carbs and sugar than your body can very quickly deal with, and it would in fact take a small tweek of that to get your fasting BG back into a really healthy range, as in eating and drinking less sugar and carbs. And we are not talking a lot.

It could be, if you are drinking sugary carbonated drinks, or adding sugar to your hot drinks - you would just need to cut those down.

With your HBA1c getting to 38, you are getting to the closer to dysfunctioning end of the scale (but still normal, mind) - therefore, again, all it would take is probably relatively small tweeks of what you are eating to get it down again, to a really healthy range - which is 20s and low 30s. (I'll let you look at the 50 shades of diabetes chart to convert the double digit HBA1c numbers to a percentage.)

The Canadian doctors are not diagnosing you with prediabetes because your body is still processing the food you are eating properly, if you like - recognising the signals, and producing insulin to lower your BG levels, and is in fact - keeping your BG at a healthy enough level.

I think it is terrific that you can read these early warnings, and can, therefore make very minor 'lifestyle changes' to get your blood glucose/BG regulating system functioning at a really healthy level.

Reactions: Alison Campbell