Type 1'stars R Us

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Given my rant about the inappropriate actions of the Miser of Health in South Australia I have thought about doing some cartoons. Might even develop that into the diabetes field.
Any tips ye colandered, perforated, pricked and pierced warriors ??

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I know you work hard physically @kev-w and I reckond you need your food. I also know from what you've written that you've been T1D for ages so you know how to do the bolus. Little me is just a little old learner and I worry about eating so much and bolusing so much. Unlike you, I don't do that much exercise. I'm always envious of the porridge you eat
Amd let's face it @kev-w, you are a growing boy like all us males. You need your tucker !!

Reactions: Cumberland

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Thank you @kitedoc. I wonder if the indigenous people of the arctic regions had any T1 when living mainly on hunted fish and flesh?
Apparently they did, if you believe this theory. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov The sweet thing about Type 1 diabetes: a cryoprotective evolutionary adaption. author Moelem. Med Hypotheses 2005 65 (1). The idea is that higher BSLs protected the blood and organs of humans from freezing in very cold climates and when climates changed to being colder. If you survived long enough to reproduce before the diabetes 'got' you compared to others without the 'anti-freeze' effect of higher BSLs the advantage might have been passed on and might explain why there is a higher incidence of T1D in cold climates compared to warm ones.
Not sure that a T shirt slogan like" I have antifreeze in my veins" would be successful somehow !!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good morning all - just
Pretty good weekend for moi. Went down to watch the Rugby Saturday, couldn't speak yesterday because of all the shouting :). Lots of lagers to boot plus food and my bloods stayed in single figures all day. Sunday was disaster day lol....The roller coaster ride was unbelievable but managed to sort it before bed. Woke this morning to a very nice 7 and am currently sitting on a 6. Well happy today. Got an appointment with the GPs diabetic nurse on Thursday! How she is a diabetic nurse I will never know, I really have to bite my lip when called in to see her! Will get my latest HBA1c thou so will keep my lips zipped until she gives me the good? news lol
Sorry, I got a bit distracted by another soapbox there... Can injected insulin cause weight gain for someone with type 1 diabetes?
In my case not at all. I am 5'10" and 75 kilos. Pretty much impossible to gain weight and I eat loads of carbs to boot :)
Having a cataract removed on Wednesday 40 miles away in West Cumberland Hospital

I’m getting a bit nervous
Hope all goes well for you on Wednesday Cumbs

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning (well, it was when I started typing...)

Thanks for all the lovely support and hugs ❤️

Weird night, went to bed nicely at 4.6, got woken at 3am being shouted at that my glucose was rising fast... just rocketed by 2mmol in about three minutes... clobbered it with Novosluggish and woke later in the mid fives. Really strange.

No agency work today, so am revising heart attacks and COPD for my first responder course.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Tech wearers - anyone noticed phases of being particularly sensitive to the feel of the wearables? My last couple of Libre sensors and three pods have not been uncomfortable per se, but I’m constantly aware of them - I can FEEL them all them flippin’ time. Just wondered if I was the only one...

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Tech wearers - anyone noticed phases of being particularly sensitive to the feel of the wearables? My last couple of Libre sensors and three pods have not been uncomfortable per se, but I’m constantly aware of them - I can FEEL them all them flippin’ time. Just wondered if I was the only one...
I can feel the glue every now and again when the Libre is new....just pulls for a few hours but have never really felt it or known its there. Must be you Mel :hilarious::angelic::angelic:

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Good afternoon friends
Bright and sunny up here with a sharp frost this morning

Thanks for all of your well wishes for weds (cry cry)

Have a very good day all

K

Knikki

Yeah sometimes depending wherein my arm I placed the libre sometimes I think I catch a muscle so when I extend my arm or in the gym I can feel it, little uncomfortable but not all the time.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Weekend was pretty good but this morning not so good starting the day in the 12s
Made some wooden snowmen which look quite nice and am just waiting for some scarfs to finish them off.
I made a one off outside reindeer with different eyes and lathered in varnish.......well it looks a bit special needs so I may end up giving him a new head although the bright green legs don't help much.
Varnishing a pine cone isn't an easy task either.....too many crevices....o_O

Live long and prosper

Tony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Reading about the Libre's I hope one day I will get one, my hands and fingers are small and have taken a lot of bashing over 29 years, so fingers crossed for a positive 2019 :)

Reactions: karen8967

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always make sure to put my cannula in a different place to last time. This is easy for me as the insertion point remains for a week or so and my tummy looks like a dot to dot puzzle.

Mine too!

I sometimes wonder if my discomfort is associated with slight cannula movements when I move my pump around whilst the tube is still attached. This would only be associated with a tubey pump.

I used to get the same thing, until I started routinely using anchor tape. Now I wouldn't go without it.

I sometimes hit muscle with a Libre sensor. When I do, it gets pretty uncomfortable straight away, so I whip it off and get another on there.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have times when either my cannula or my Libre become itchy.
Although the usual recommendation is to change pump sets every 3 to 4 days, I usually change mine every other day to avoid the itch. I use SkinTac as a barrier to reduce the discomfort. My first cannula was very uncomfortable but I think this was a combination of a reaction to the stickiness and it being too deep. I quickly changed to inset 30 which go in at an angle.
Libre lasts a little longer but my current one is 10 days old and I can start to feel the niggle.
This one was strange when it was first inserted, it was as if I could actually feel the filament inside my arm for the first couple of days. Not all the time but when I moved my arm in certain (non repeatable) ways. That feeling eased. I had a week of nearly forgetting it was there and now the itchiness starts.
Thankfully, the itchiness goes as soon as the Libre is removed.
Sometimes, I can feel my cannula for a couple of days after it has been removed.

I always make sure to put my cannula in a different place to last time. This is easy for me as the insertion point remains for a week or so and my tummy looks like a dot to dot puzzle.

I sometimes wonder if my discomfort is associated with slight cannula movements when I move my pump around whilst the tube is still attached. This would only be associated with a tubey pump.

However, given a DexCom started to struggle with accurate readings after some stomach crunches, it makes sense that something embedded can be moved around if you do certain exercises in that area and those movements can make us more sensitive to them.

Sorry .. that was a bit of a ramble.
So for any TLDR:
- yes - itchiness
- maybe inserts move when we do certain movements and, as they re-embed themselves, we become sensitive to them.
I didn’t explain myself very well, I don’t think. It’s not itchiness, the sticky stuff on both is fine (I do use Skin Tac for the Libre, but not the pod, no need to). It’s like I can feel something sticking in me, both the cannula and the filament. It’s probably totally psychosomatic, perhaps now the novelty of it has all worn off a little, my brain might be playing tricks on me...

Reactions: porl69

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you keep your pump in the same place all the time?
Mine tends to be moved around a lot depending on what I am wearing and doing.
For example, during a 45 minute session at the gym, I have to move it from my back (for running), to my front (for hand weights) and to my side for stomach crunches. And, when I am chilling on the sofa it just sits on the couch next to me as I fidget a lot and will end up resting on it at some point.
Sometimes I move it to a different spot on the belt when playing guitar, as it knocks on the guitar body. But otherwise, it stays in one spot. I'm not as physically active as you, so it tends to stay clipped to my belt, and then loose in bed.

Reactions: porl69

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Apparently they did, if you believe this theory. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov The sweet thing about Type 1 diabetes: a cryoprotective evolutionary adaption. author Moelem. Med Hypotheses 2005 65 (1). The idea is that higher BSLs protected the blood and organs of humans from freezing in very cold climates and when climates changed to being colder. If you survived long enough to reproduce before the diabetes 'got' you compared to others without the 'anti-freeze' effect of higher BSLs the advantage might have been passed on and might explain why there is a higher incidence of T1D in cold climates compared to warm ones.
Not sure that a T shirt slogan like" I have antifreeze in my veins" would be successful somehow !!

It makes us like the oily fish then kitedoc, now which would you choose to be: mackerel, sardine, herring or pilchard?

Reactions: Cumberland

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.

I go on feeling the libre on my right arm for a few days after I’ve removed it - phantom libre syndrome. The less sensitive left arm varies, maybe it’s the way they’re attached and removed? I’m right-handed.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I go on feeling the libre on my right arm for a few days after I’ve removed it - phantom libre syndrome. The less sensitive left arm varies, maybe it’s the way they’re attached and removed? I’m right-handed.

Oh my goodness I have that too. Thought I was peculiar! Such a relief

Reactions: Fairygodmother

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well that was a pointless exercise really, perhaps I’m just expecting too much, like reading my notes before hand. :wacky: