Type 1 child not allowed to carry medical bag?

ParentOfT1D

Was I unreasonable to refuse to put my Type 1 diabetic child’s medical bag into a locker while ice skating? I pleaded with staff to allow me to carry my son’s bag in my sports backpack. I didn't want to leave it in the locker as these are not secure. I could not fit all his equipment in my pockets. The ice rink staff kept insisting this is the rule and it’s the same for everyone, no exceptions, and would not accept that as much as he’d love to, my child simply isn’t the same as everyone.

It takes a lot of preparation to kit out a type 1 child and the complete and safe equipment on hand is what makes our life “normal”. Without it I feel stressed and worried for my child’s wellbeing.

Did you have a situation like this yourself? Do you feel it’s reasonable to ask a T1D to part with his meds?

Many thanks for your thoughts. X

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No that doesn’t sound unreasonable. Why does ice rink insist on lockers? Were you watching in which case what does it matter what you have with you. Our rink you can take anything in. Perhaps over enthusiastic (young?) staff scared of the manager and following “the rules”. As to speak to the manager and if no joy, go higher. Good luck x

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @ParentOfT1D, I feel for you. As a T1D I had little choice but to put thing things into a locker when swimming at the local baths. But I kept a small container of glucose stowed inside my swimming trunks.
Admittedly I did not have an insulin pump back then.
I would suggest asking your son's doctor for a letter stating that he needs to have spare pump consumables, or spare pen, needle/syringes, insulin, hypo kit etc on hand such as with you. If you are still refused you may then have recourse to mediation, court etc regarding discrimination. (not that anyone wishes you to need to go to that expense).
Having said that I can fit one set of pump consumables, spare insulin, hypo kit, small power pack, syringes and small glucometer and strips split up into pockets of a coat. I can do it in summer if I wear cargo pants with the extra pockets but it is a real squeeze!! The other thought is wearing one or more neck wallets under a shirt, or a waist wallet - the type of wallets used for travelling - and you have just as much right to wear a wallet in a more protected place as anyone else.
I can see why the restrictive policy may have been implemented but people have rights and I contend that the management of the ice rink need to be prepared to look at things on a case by case basis.
Best Wishes and I hope your son enjoys his time on the ice!! :):):)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @ParentOfT1D, I feel for you. As a T1D I had little choice but to put thing things into a locker when swimming at the local baths. But I kept a small container of glucose stowed inside my swimming trunks.
Admittedly I did not have an insulin pump back then.
I would suggest asking your son's doctor for a letter stating that he needs to have spare pump consumables, or spare pen, needle/syringes, insulin, hypo kit etc on hand such as with you. If you are still refused you may then have recourse to mediation, court etc regarding discrimination. (not that anyone wishes you to need to go to that expense).
Having said that I can fit one set of pump consumables, spare insulin, hypo kit, small power pack, syringes and small glucometer and strips split up into pockets of a coat. I can do it in summer if I wear cargo pants with the extra pockets but it is a real squeeze!! The other thought is wearing one or more neck wallets under a shirt, or a waist wallet - the type of wallets used for travelling - and you have just as much right to wear a wallet in a more protected place as anyone else.
I can see why the restrictive policy may have been implemented but people have rights and I contend that the management of the ice rink need to be prepared to look at things on a case by case basis.
Best Wishes and I hope your son enjoys his time on the ice!! :):):)

Sorry kitedoc but the thought of you retrieving your hidden glucose made me smile!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @ParentOfT1D Your request is not unreasonable in the slightest, however it does lead me to believe that the person you spoke to has no knowledge or understanding of t1 at all. As suggested, take this to a senior management as a complaint, it's sadly in situations like this that we have to put our 'educator' hat on and advise those who do not understand the implications of carrying insulin with us at all times.

Can I also just double check that he's got easy access to a meter and glucose in case of a hypo, so ideally not in a locker but close to hand in case he needs to treat ?

ParentOfT1D

Hello @ParentOfT1D Your request is not unreasonable in the slightest, however it does lead me to believe that the person you spoke to has no knowledge or understanding of t1 at all. As suggested, take this to a senior management as a complaint, it's sadly in situations like this that we have to put our 'educator' hat on and advise those who do not understand the implications of carrying insulin with us at all times.

Can I also just double check that he's got easy access to a meter and glucose in case of a hypo, so ideally not in a locker but close to hand in case he needs to treat ?
Thanks for your reply. I did ask to speak to the manager who announced to me there’s one rule for everyone and didn’t seem to have a policy for disability. I refused to put the medical bag into the locker. The rest of our ice skating session ended up being a bit of a show of me being “chased” by a number of staff members including a rather tall duty manager who threatened removing me from the ice rink. We left early.

I’ve written to the Managing Director of the company requesting details on the policy for people like my son. I have yet to receive a reply.

I’m quite new into T1D, still finding my way but feel humiliated by this all. Just want my son to be safe and enjoy life without being treated like a criminal for it.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Thanks for your reply. I did ask to speak to the manager who announced to me there’s one rule for everyone and didn’t seem to have a policy for disability. I refused to put the medical bag into the locker. The rest of our ice skating session ended up being a bit of a show of me being “chased” by a number of staff members including a rather tall duty manager who threatened removing me from the ice rink. We left early.

I’ve written to the Managing Director of the company requesting details on the policy for people like my son. I have yet to receive a reply.

I’m quite new into T1D, still finding my way but feel humiliated by this all. Just want my son to be safe and enjoy life without being treated like a criminal for it.

That is absurd behavior on their part. The level of ignorance shown to enforce a rule over your child's health and safety is just disgraceful. The rules are obviously more important than a child's health. If you don't receive a reply from the director of the company, you could possibly take it to an org who deals with this kind of thing or local mp or even local media outlet. It's certainly not acceptable.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not have your child's equipment in your bag they would not be any the wiser then. If you were not skating surely they can't insist that spectators bags go in a locker

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was I unreasonable to refuse to put my Type 1 diabetic child’s medical bag into a locker while ice skating? I pleaded with staff to allow me to carry my son’s bag in my sports backpack. I didn't want to leave it in the locker as these are not secure. I could not fit all his equipment in my pockets. The ice rink staff kept insisting this is the rule and it’s the same for everyone, no exceptions, and would not accept that as much as he’d love to, my child simply isn’t the same as everyone.

It takes a lot of preparation to kit out a type 1 child and the complete and safe equipment on hand is what makes our life “normal”. Without it I feel stressed and worried for my child’s wellbeing.

Did you have a situation like this yourself? Do you feel it’s reasonable to ask a T1D to part with his meds?

Many thanks for your thoughts. X
Sorry to hear this and it must have been distressing for you Is your son on a pump so is that the equipment you had with you