Went to the NHS eatwell thingy

Sprocket 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

After being told i didnt really need to go by the practice nurse i decided to go to see what all the fuss was about and spread the lchf gospel.

Room full of people a nurse and nutritionist. The 2 most successful were me and a lady doing keto. We politely told them we were restricting carbs and they said well that's ok for your weight loss (neither of us a size 10) but in general most people need balance blah blah blah.

I feel frustrated and so sorry for the other folk in that room who were struggling with their numbers.

Came away with a booklet which does give a paragraph to low carb and says it's difficult to stick to and to consult your healthcare team before trying it ‍♂️

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow - they let you speak!!
I was effectively silenced - told it would be discussed later, and it wasn't mentioned again.
I did speak to a really worried couple, outside in the car park in the rain, so I hope I at least gave them hope, but the man kept saying 'I was told to eat carbs' and his wife had looked for recipes with 'good carbs' and stuck to them with ever decreasing hope.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well done for making the effort, you never know maybe one or two people will think 'Aye, aye what's all this low carb malarky, then, let's 'ave a google'. Keep spreading the word, it's all we can do.

Reactions: Sprocket 2

Sprocket 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I ended up speaking with keto lady outside and she asked to keep in touch as she said she felt she was lost, nobody agreeing with her. She was made up I was there, so am glad I went in the end if just for that. Sounded like she had tried to research and just done it on her own. I gave her this website and the dietdoctor one.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I ended up speaking with keto lady outside and she asked to keep in touch as she said she felt she was lost, nobody agreeing with her. She was made up I was there, so am glad I went in the end if just for that. Sounded like she had tried to research and just done it on her own. I gave her this website and the dietdoctor one.

Good thinking!

Md2t

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

After being told i didnt really need to go by the practice nurse i decided to go to see what all the fuss was about and spread the lchf gospel.

Room full of people a nurse and nutritionist. The 2 most successful were me and a lady doing keto. We politely told them we were restricting carbs and they said well that's ok for your weight loss (neither of us a size 10) but in general most people need balance blah blah blah.

I feel frustrated and so sorry for the other folk in that room who were struggling with their numbers.

Came away with a booklet which does give a paragraph to low carb and says it's difficult to stick to and to consult your healthcare team before trying it ‍♂️
Well done for attending! I have not been allowed to got to community education sessions because the GPs think it will confuse patients to hear from a patient's success 'against the majority of the evidence'

Attachments

• Slide10.JPG
    Slide10.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 127
Reactions: Sprocket 2

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow - they let you speak!!
I was effectively silenced - told it would be discussed later, and it wasn't mentioned again.
I did speak to a really worried couple, outside in the car park in the rain, so I hope I at least gave them hope, but the man kept saying 'I was told to eat carbs' and his wife had looked for recipes with 'good carbs' and stuck to them with ever decreasing hope.
on the desmond course i listened ..when we had a coffee break i had a quiet word with one of the nurses and showed her my log..i had been testing for several weeks and my first blood test since dx was two weeks away /..she opinied that the figures were non diabetic ..i did finish the day and at the end she put me on the spot and let me talk ( low carb /exersise etc.) and answer questions from the others on the course...( may /june 2018 )
indeed hb1ac came back at 5.5% from 12.5% in february..

Last edited:
M

Member496333

Sometimes I wish I could end up in one of these sessions just so I could politely but surgically pick apart the balanced diet argument piece by piece. I suspect I wouldn’t make any friends but it would be amusing.

You deserve a medal for sitting through it :D

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes I wish I could end up in one of these sessions just so I could politely but surgically pick apart the balanced diet argument piece by piece. I suspect I wouldn’t make any friends but it would be amusing.

You deserve a medal for sitting through it :D
i huffed and puffed ( internally )..went through with it..two nurses one type 1 as it turns out ..the other one ...in charge of the eatwell plate knew what i was on..did try to trip me up several times continualy asked me questions when i had drifted remember these were early days for me (this saturday will be the first aniversary of dx.)

Last edited: