Australian MPS learn more about low carb diet on visit to UK

DCUK NewsBot

A group of Australian MPs have been learning more about the benefits of the low carb diet from Dr David Unwin, a UK-based advocate of the approach. Dr Unwin, an NHS National Innovator of the Year award-winner, who helped develop our NHS-approved Low Carb Program app, hosted a presentation for his overseas visitors at his surgery in Southport. Dr Unwin showed the MPs the health benefits of ditching starchy carbohydrates such as pasta and potatoes, which include lower blood glucose, weight loss and even being able to put type 2 diabetes into remission. Speaking to The BMJ, Dr Unwin said: "I was pleased to find the visitors well briefed, pragmatic, and understanding that the real problem is persuading patients that starchy carbs digest down into sugar. "The visit shows a wonderful energy and a genuine wish to help people. They really liked how what we do is scalable, effective, and inexpensive. Drugs will never be the answer to this epidemic." The four MPs and a scientific officer, all members of the Western Australia's Education and Health Standing Committee, also met with people from the Southport surgery who have been following the approach, followed by a low carb dinner. Dr Unwin is a firm believer in lifestyle prescription and in 2017/18 his practice saved a total of £57,000 on medications for conditions including hypertension and type 2 diabetes by offering people the opportunity to change their diet and start exercising more. In addition, Dr Unwin's surgery runs a low carb group which has produced some phenomenal health outcome for patients. The committee's chair, Janine Freeman, said: "We felt it was important to investigate drug free options for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. It was clear that some of the leaders of this approach are in Britain and very much worth visiting. "The practice's success shows that it is a powerful practical tool that provides hope for people with type 2 diabetes. It’s an approach we will be highlighting in our report to parliament." The Australian visitors also met with Roy Taylor, professor of medicine and metabolism at Newcastle University, who has investigated remission of type 2 diabetes through a very low calorie diet. Prof Taylor said the delegation was "very interested in the understanding of type 2 diabetes as a simple reversible condition of excess fat inside the liver and pancreas of susceptible people."

Continue reading...

M

Member496333

Great stuff!

Although I’m not convinced that the “real problem” is convincing patients that carbs break down into sugar. I think it would be more accurate to say that the real problem is convincing industry and heavily lobbied organisations to stop convincing patients that they don’t.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting article.

Dr Unwin is a firm believer in lifestyle prescription and in 2017/18 his practice saved a total of £57,000 on medications for conditions including hypertension and type 2 diabetes by offering people the opportunity to change their diet and start exercising more. In addition, Dr Unwin's surgery runs a low carb group which has produced some phenomenal health outcome for patients. “

I haven’t looked up Dr Unwin though he gets a good mention on the forum. I do wonder how long it will take for the message to percolate through.

On a slightly lighter note I wonder if the Cultural Attaché to the Court of St James himself was amongst the visiting dignatorys or has he retired now?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

A group of Australian MPs have been learning more about the benefits of the low carb diet from Dr David Unwin, a UK-based advocate of the approach.
Make the most of it fellers, you will be out of a job shortly if your LNP politicians.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They will be out the door as well.
Can't recall when the next election here is - it's not that long ago that Labor were elected here. As far as I know there's no election in WA this year.