Food isn’t spiking my blood sugar

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi everyone I posted before saying I may be diabetic( I have my second blood test on Wednesday), however over the past 3 weeks I have been testing a glucose levels and the numbers have been dropping and also losing weight, I go slimming world.....

2 hours after every meal I test my glucose levels and I do t get huge spikes, it goes up by 1.5-2 mmol which is normal from what I checked online ....I haven’t gone low carb or anything; I’ve been eating potatoes and bread as normal just following the slimming world plan....

Do you think weight could just be the main factor of my high blood levels? The more weight I’ve been losing my glucose levels have gone down to 6.3, which is pre diabetes level...because pasta and bread, rice doe not spoke my glucose level high

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am definitely diabetic, but a couple of years low carbing, and some weightloss and I don't get spikes, but I do see my weight increase very easily. I think I have reversed my insulin resistance, so I am back to having to watch everything I eat.
Hopefully your weightloss will have restored you to normality, and you can keep in that range now.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Could you clarify, please. You say your bg rises at the two hour mark by 1.5mmol/2mmol?
The object is to be as close to the pre meal reading as you can get so may I ask if you have tested to find how long it takes you to return to those pre meal readings?

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could you clarify, please. You say your bg rises at the two hour mark by 1.5mmol/2mmol?
The object is to be as close to the pre meal reading as you can get so may I ask if you have tested to find how long it takes you to return to those pre meal readings?

So for example the other day I was 6.5 and 2 hrs after meal it was 7.9

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So for example the other day I was 6.5 and 2 hrs after meal it was 7.9

A non Diabetic would see pre meal readings between 4mmol and 6mmol depending, obviously, on what they ate previous to testing. They return to pre meal readings (sometimes even lower than pre meal readings) without the huge spikes that those with Pre D or T2 see. Even a very high carb meal that spikes skywards will return to normal quickly and easily for them.
Sorry to say that a pre meal reading of 6.5 is higher than a non Diabetic and suggests that your bg management could benefit from having fewer carbohydrates.

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A non Diabetic would see pre meal readings between 4mmol and 6mmol depending, obviously, on what they ate previous to testing. They return to pre meal readings (sometimes even lower than pre meal readings) without the huge spikes that those with Pre D or T2 see. Even a very high carb meal that spikes skywards will return to normal quickly and easily for them.
Sorry to say that a pre meal reading of 6.5 is higher than a non Diabetic and suggests that your bg management could benefit from having fewer carbohydrates.
I know my bg isn’t at non diabetic levels, but my doctor said at first it was a 8.4....so in 3 weeks I got my fasting bg levels in the 6 range but the meals it self are not causing my blood sugar to rise high.....tonight before having my dinner I got a reading of 5.6 so I need to wait a bit to test again when I get to the 2 hr post meal mark.....every day I’ve checked my blood sugar levels and they have been getting lower each week, so I feel I don’t need to reduce carbs if my levels are visably getting lower through my diet with slimming world and exercise

M

Member496333

6.5mmol/L preprandial indicates likely insulin resistance in a non-autoimmune person. Elevated insulin prior to eating is suboptimal, regardless of any subsequent postprandial measurements. If you are insulin resistant then stimulating further excess release is not a good idea.

The choice is yours of course.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I know my bg isn’t at non diabetic levels, but my doctor said at first it was a 8.4....so in 3 weeks I got my fasting bg levels in the 6 range but the meals it self are not causing my blood sugar to rise high.....tonight before having my dinner I got a reading of 5.6 so I need to wait a bit to test again when I get to the 2 hr post meal mark.....every day I’ve checked my blood sugar levels and they have been getting lower each week, so I feel I don’t need to reduce carbs if my levels are visably getting lower through my diet with slimming world and exercise

Fair enough.

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also from all the research I’ve done it doesn’t say a non diabetic glucose goes right back to pre meal readings after 2 hrs, it stays around 1-2 mmols higher than the pre meal reading around the 2 hrs benchmark

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Also from all the research I’ve done it doesn’t say a non diabetic glucose goes right back to pre meal readings after 2 hrs, it stays around 1-2 mmols higher than the pre meal reading around the 2 hrs benchmark

If you are happy with your progress the carry on doing what you are doing.
The calorie restricted diet will be cutting the amount of carbs in your diet along with fats (this was ever the method) but whether the few carbs you have cut will be enough long term to improve your Insulin Resistance will remain to be seen. Good Luck to you.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I think you are clearly insulin resistant (IR) and eating starch sugar, potatoes, bread etc, is part of the reason you are IR and that is going to increase that IR level and set you well and truly on course for T2 in the future if you don't at least reduce those foods. They don't help you at all. You may well look back and regret the decision to not lower carbs. A couple of very experienced people have already given their advice, but it seems you have already made up your mind. I do hope you reconsider, no one wants to see you become T2. At lot of us wish we knew then, what we know now.

Reactions: Guzzler and briped

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
hi everyone I posted before saying I may be diabetic( I have my second blood test on Wednesday), however over the past 3 weeks I have been testing a glucose levels and the numbers have been dropping and also losing weight, I go slimming world.....

2 hours after every meal I test my glucose levels and I do t get huge spikes, it goes up by 1.5-2 mmol which is normal from what I checked online ....I haven’t gone low carb or anything; I’ve been eating potatoes and bread as normal just following the slimming world plan....

Do you think weight could just be the main factor of my high blood levels? The more weight I’ve been losing my glucose levels have gone down to 6.3, which is pre diabetes level...because pasta and bread, rice doe not spoke my glucose level high
@Molly.C well done on getting your BS levels down. I tend to eat more carbs than many on the forum and, although I now know what I can, cannot or can eat in moderation, to check how I’m progressing I will sometimes test every hour for about 3 hours after eating to see what the trend is because sometimes higher carb foods can cause a spike 3-4 hours later so by testing hourly you can see if your BS is rising or falling.

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Molly.C well done on getting your BS levels down. I tend to eat more carbs than many on the forum and, although I now know what I can, cannot or can eat in moderation, to check how I’m progressing I will sometimes test every hour for about 3 hours after eating to see what the trend is because sometimes higher carb foods can cause a spike 3-4 hours later so by testing hourly you can see if your BS is rising or falling.
Thanks, I’ll test a few meals hourly to makesure it’s not spiking after 2 hours