Carrot cake, gluten free and low carb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thanks to @Rachox for the recipe link, I made this, this afternoon, when I was supposed to get on with ironing :oops: ;)

DSC_0356.JPG

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope you enjoy it! Baking is much more fun than ironing :happy:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks yummy! :hungry:

Low carb carrot or courgette muffins were some of first things I made when I was first diagnosed. I liked them because I could with a little variation make them either sweet or savoury.

Robbity

ETA What/s ironing??o_O

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Looks yummy! :hungry:

Low carb carrot or courgette muffins were some of first things I made when I was first diagnosed. I liked them because I could with a little variation make them either sweet or savoury.

Robbity

ETA What/s ironing??o_O

The muffins sound good:)
The process of ironing.......looks like a funny sort of surf board, with a big heavy metal device that has to be heated up to smooth out wrinkles ( from what I can remember) o_O

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The process of ironing.......looks like a funny sort of surf board, with a big heavy metal device that has to be heated up to smooth out wrinkles ( from what I can remember) o_O

Sounds rather painful... I haven't yet got many wrinkles thanks to plenty of fat, so I'll give smoothing them out a miss...:eek:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love this recipe too. Had it as my birthday cake 3 weeks post diagnosis last year and will be repeated this year. Didn’t do a thing to my bgl at 2hrs!

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bearing in mind I am a numpty at cooking I have a couple of daft questions.

Will this cake rise when cooked? And is there any reason why it couldn’t be made as a sandwich (two layers) with the cream cheese filling in between?

Me and the little one are going to make one.

Reactions: 1spuds

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So how many carbs in a slice that size RRB? I am very tempted to start baking now

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bearing in mind I am a numpty at cooking I have a couple of daft questions.

Will this cake rise when cooked? And is there any reason why it couldn’t be made as a sandwich (two layers) with the cream cheese filling in between?

Me and the little one are going to make one.
Okay so it can be two layers. And the baking powder will make it rise, presumably?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So how many carbs in a slice that size RRB? I am very tempted to start baking now
It says in the recipe 5.8grams for the whole cake which is good for 10 slices (Rachox recipe). If I read it right.

Or is that 5.8grams per slice?

Reactions: 1spuds
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

i think it said 5.6 per slice, I will have to have a look :)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It doesn’t rise like a Victoria sponge (well made) can for sure. But it does taste nice and is very kind to my meter. No problems with two layers if you like the cream cheese filling /icing. Personally I’d rather one deep(ish) and a thin topping.