Hello folks! Newly diagnosed, stunned and worried

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
Hi there guys. I got diagnosed T2 in early May after a blood test I requested as I was exhausted all the time. My Hba1c was 82. I was utterly terrified and stopped eating from shock and also as I was scared my blood sugar would go even higher. After a couple of days I noticed my eyesight becoming blurry. I got an extended eye test from my optician which examines everything in great detail, including the retina. I was relieved to hear everything was normal. But my eyesight got blurrier, I had to stop wearing my distance glasses and now wear my reading glasses, but even they seem a bit blurry now. I can get about ok, but am finding it very worrying and am anxious. Rachox was very kind to me last night and explained that it's to do with fluctuating glucose levels so it may take a while for this to sort itself out, but it's causing me such high anxiety.
Has anyone else had this? How long approximately does it take to sort itself out? Is there anything I can do to help it? Until Rachox helped me last night I was terrified I was going blind.

I am eating again now, following a low carb diet, keeping carbs under 50g a day. I am going to start metformin tomorrow. I really want to reverse this diabetes.

My optician has ordered me new glasses with a new prescription but I think my prescription is in a state of flux at the mo and don't know whether I should wait?

Thank you so much for reading this, I appreciate any advice/ support.

Reactions: Rachox

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might find that your new glasses are going to be wrong for you in a few weeks once your blood glucose levels reduce and settle down - your optician ought to know that and not take your money for something which could be of little use to you.

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
You might find that your new glasses are going to be wrong for you in a few weeks once your blood glucose levels reduce and settle down - your optician ought to know that and not take your money for something which could be of little use to you.

Hi Resurgam, Yes I was afraid of this after getting the info from Rachox last night. I'll tell my optician. A few more weeks till it settles, you reckon?

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Blurred vision when you are just diagnosed and attempting to get your blood sugar level under control happens to just about everyone. It is best to wait until things have stabilised before you start paying for new glasses. Your vision will change rapidly as your body adjusts to the change in sugar levels. The blurred vision will pass, but the time it takes varies for each individual. Please don't get stressed out. The problem clears up given time.

Reactions: Prem51

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
Blurred vision when you are just diagnosed and attempting to get your blood sugar level under control happens to just about everyone. It is best to wait until things have stabilised before you start paying for new glasses. Your vision will change rapidly as your body adjusts to the change in sugar levels. The blurred vision will pass, but the time it takes varies for each individual. Please don't get stressed out. The problem clears up given time.
Thanks so much JMK1954, that's reassuring that it's not just me. My vision does seem to be changing rapidly, which is why I thought I was going blind... Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope things settle down quickly for you. I do agree, that your ordered glasses may not turn out to be suitable. Maybe put off going back to collect them til your eyes have settled, so you can get them retested?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Resurgam, Yes I was afraid of this after getting the info from Rachox last night. I'll tell my optician. A few more weeks till it settles, you reckon?
You could ask if there is any time limit on the new glasses - s o that if they are wrong for you, say, in a month's time you might take them back.

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
I hope things settle down quickly for you. I do agree, that your ordered glasses may not turn out to be suitable. Maybe put off going back to collect them til your eyes have settled, so you can get them retested?
Hi Rachox, and thanks so much for your help last night. I had a the best night's sleep I've had in weeks because of your advice and reassurance. Yes I think you're right about the glasses! Thank you xx

Reactions: Prem51

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
You could ask if there is any time limit on the new glasses - s o that if they are wrong for you, say, in a month's time you might take them back.
What a great idea! Thanks Resurgam, I'm in awe of your stats! x