How would you Bolus for Supermarket Lunch Pasta?

Hi all,

Recently diagnosed T1 trying to get to grips with all things diabetes at the moment.

One thing I'm struggling with is getting my Bolus dose correct for fatty meals.

I've worked out that I'm working at a carb ratio of roughly 1:10. But I find if I inject at this ratio with a fatty meal, I get a big drop and then rise about 2 hours after eating.

What I'd like to know is how would you Bolus for this supermarket premade pasta box?

It's got 60g carbs
20g fat

Cheers

Olly

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My ratios aren't the same as yours but for fatty meals I split my bolus in two - about 45 min apart

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @FrecklesOliver Welcome to the forum :)

It's referred to as the 'pizza effect' when you eat carbs with high fat, so similar to pizza and indian takeaways where you would bolus then drop to near hypo levels and go high 2-3 hours later. It's a bit like trial and error though as it all depends how quickly you digest fat in the meal as this is what delays the food being digested, also my split/timing might not work for you, I tend to avoid these types of foods or just eat smaller portions, but if I do divulge then I go 40% when eating and 60% about 1.5 hours later.

I also avoid at night as I generally wake in the high teens if I don't wake around 3am to correct, so it's a pain to manage.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi all,

Recently diagnosed T1 trying to get to grips with all things diabetes at the moment.

One thing I'm struggling with is getting my Bolus dose correct for fatty meals.

I've worked out that I'm working at a carb ratio of roughly 1:10. But I find if I inject at this ratio with a fatty meal, I get a big drop and then rise about 2 hours after eating.

What I'd like to know is how would you Bolus for this supermarket premade pasta box?

It's got 60g carbs
20g fat

Cheers

Olly

Hi, my dsn said to bolus about 1/2/ or 1/3 of the Insulin 20 mins before meal, then the rest as soon as you eat, it seems to work pretty well.

Hello @FrecklesOliver Welcome to the forum :)

It's referred to as the 'pizza effect' when you eat carbs with high fat, so similar to pizza and indian takeaways where you would bolus then drop to near hypo levels and go high 2-3 hours later. It's a bit like trial and error though as it all depends how quickly you digest fat in the meal as this is what delays the food being digested, also my split/timing might not work for you, I tend to avoid these types of foods or just eat smaller portions, but if I do divulge then I go 40% when eating and 60% about 1.5 hours later.

I also avoid at night as I generally wake in the high teens if I don't wake around 3am to correct, so it's a pain to manage.
Thank you, it's great to be able to know there are people to support me.

I think what I'm really interested to know is how much fat is my threshold for delayed absorption.

I think what I'm really interested to know is how much fat is my threshold for delayed absorption.[/QUOTE]
Hi, my dsn said to bolus about 1/2/ or 1/3 of the Insulin 20 mins before meal, then the rest as soon as you eat, it seems to work pretty well.
Thanks Robin,

I'm not sure injecting my bolus any earlier would be a smart idea if they are dropping after eating. That would almost certainly mean I have a hypo. I appreciate everyone is different, but I think what your DSN suggests would go against splitting a dose.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thank you, it's great to be able to know there are people to support me.

I think what I'm really interested to know is how much fat is my threshold for delayed absorption.

It's a good question, but i've not come across anything that defines this, it's just a case of trial and error, as we are all different in regards to tolerances/ratios/builds etc etc there isn't a one size fits all, but have a go with splitting your bolus if you're comfortable in doing this, or speak to your DSN to see what they would suggest, it's a mini triumph when you conquer a challenge like this though so let us know how you get on ?