Smartchwatch as standalone reader

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

Just wanted to know if anyone knew how to use their smartwatch as a standalone reader.

I have the libre with miaomiao and use GLIMP. At the moment I have glucose levels on my watch but that's only when the phone is nearby, i.e using the connection from phone and miao miao to display on watch.

If I leave my phone elsewhere, I can't get live readings on the watch. Does anyone know if this is possible? I have the Ticwatch Pro with Android wear OS 2.

Thanks

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HMMM Not sure I think GLIMP only has limited support for watches and I think they favour the Sony one.

Have a look at xDrip+ (assuming your on Android) you can get that to work on the Ticwatch where you can leave the phone elsewhere and the watch works OK, its a bit of a faf sometimes to get things working and it can be bit intermittent but overall its not bad.

Ah ok, quite like Glimp. Only reason I stuck with it is because all my data is stored in Glimp. Can this be transferred to Xdrip, or do I need to start from scratch?
Also not sure whether you know or not, but is it as accurate once calibrated? As Glimp is very good for me once Ive calibrated it.

Reactions: Connie’s Dad

Saundie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Thanks for this great info. Quick question, please. I am planning on purchasing a Ticwatch. Is the pro required for use with watch to work alone or will any of the Ticwatches work? I am thinking of getting the S version which I am hoping would work? Warm thanks.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Thanks for this great info. Quick question, please. I am planning on purchasing a Ticwatch. Is the pro required for use with watch to work alone or will any of the Ticwatches work? I am thinking of getting the S version which I am hoping would work? Warm thanks.

As long as they have Bluetooth, which I think they all do and have android wear OS 2, you can use them with miaomiao as a CGM. I don't think you can use any of them as an NFC reader for the libre standalone (without miaomiao) similar to the phone though.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
No any of the Ticwatch will work I have the base model @porl69 has the pro version think the only main difference between them is that his has GPS mine does not, I think there are also newer models out which are water proof if that's of interest.

But as @Muneeb points out you do need a MiaoMiao as well for it all to work :)

You are correct. That is the only difference as far as I can see.....never used the GPS either!

Reactions: Saundie

Abarnes1

Hi all,
@porl69- Your name comes up in every thread that mentions a watch as an aid can you help me out? I'm about to try using the Libre with MIAO and I am considering getting a 'shell box watch' - I tried to post a link but the message gets denied as spam! How can I tell if it will work ?

Is this: As long as they have Bluetooth, which I think they all do and have android wear OS 2, you can use them with miaomiao as a CGM. the only rule when considering watch compatibility? As muneeb suggests the only requirement? Sorry for being thick here- just don't want to spend anymore money than necessary if I can help it!

I've also no idea whether to go with Spike or not- or which version to get? I gather it's best for android users (definately me)

Thanks!!

Reactions: porl69

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
@porl69- Your name comes up in every thread that mentions a watch as an aid can you help me out? I'm about to try using the Libre with MIAO and I am considering getting a 'shell box watch' - I tried to post a link but the message gets denied as spam! How can I tell if it will work ?

Is this: As long as they have Bluetooth, which I think they all do and have android wear OS 2, you can use them with miaomiao as a CGM. the only rule when considering watch compatibility? As muneeb suggests the only requirement? Sorry for being thick here- just don't want to spend anymore money than necessary if I can help it!

I've also no idea whether to go with Spike or not- or which version to get? I gather it's best for android users (definately me)

Thanks!!

Hi,

If its the same watch I can ssee on amazon for £33, then I don't think that will work. That looks like a general fitness tracker watch and doesn't have android wear OS 2.0 on it. So you wouldn't be able to install the required apps let alone read the libre/MM.

I think the cheapest Wear OS watches are the ticwatch range, hence people buying them for libre/MM attachments. (These can often be had for under £100 on offer)

Spike is for Apple iPhones only. Glimp or Xdrip is for Android phones. I use glimp but I believe Xdrip allows you to use the watch as a standalone reader even when the phone is not in range as explained in this thread.

So basically you need a miaomiao with libre, any ticwatch, and either xdrip or glimp for use with an android phone.

Reactions: Abarnes1

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi all,

Thanks!!

Hi @Abarnes1 unfortunately I cannot find any information on the watch you are looking at. Where is it on sale, is it Amazon? Just so I can have a look to see if it has Android Wear.
As @Mel dCP has said Spike is only available for Apple. For Android you can use Xdrip+ OR Glimp

Last edited:

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks bunches @Muneeb, @Knikki and @porl69
I am very grateful for all your kind help :)
I have the Blucon nightrider...is that ok instead of Mio? Warm thanks again

Hi, Saundie, I'm on miaomiao now, but used blucon a while back for over a year, and it worked very well with xDrip+, an LG K8 phone and a Fossil Q Explorist watch.

The watch didn't work as a standalone collector, though.

There's a useful set up guide for xDrip+ and watches:

https://github.com/jamorham/xDrip-plus/blob/master/Documentation/WatchGuide.md

Connie’s Dad

I’ve been trying to get Ticwatch pro e2 to work as a standalone.
I have:
Libre
Miao Miao
Samsung s8
XDrip on watch and phone

It doesn’t work for me. I’ve tried loads of faffing around with xDrip versions, Bluetooth settings etc etc but it just isn’t a stable reliable option.

I’m thinking of trying a fossil sport but don’t want to get into same issues.

Anyone got any experience with this type?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Connie’s Dad same here, not seen the Fossil Sport so unable to comment! I am without MM at the mo, waiting for a new one to be sent out to me...............
Any help on LibreGeeks or MM on FB??

Reactions: Connie’s Dad

Saundie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks so much @Knikki and @Scott-C and @Connie's Dad for your great posts again. After loading the Jan 31st build overtop of xDrip & following Connie's Dad's points in the May 11th post, I am thrilled to say that my new Ticwatch is working beautifully as standalone. I am indescribably grateful. Thanks everyone so very much. This is the best group I have ever experienced. Hats off :)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks so much @Knikki and @Scott-C and @Connie's Dad for your great posts again. After loading the Jan 31st build overtop of xDrip & following Connie's Dad's points in the May 11th post, I am thrilled to say that my new Ticwatch is working beautifully as standalone. I am indescribably grateful. Thanks everyone so very much. This is the best group I have ever experienced. Hats off :)

Cheers, Saundie, it's always nice when those dots and numbers pop up on the watch for the first time!

Reactions: Saundie