Sweet potatoes vs white potatoes impact on blood sugar levels

Villovigo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone

Out of curiosity, I was wondering, based on your personal experience, if eating the same amount of white potatoes as sweet potatoes results in the same amount of insulin usage, or if you tend take more or less when eating one over the other? Most likely is an individual thing, and I am aware that white potatoes results in a quicker rise when it comes to the blood sugar, but could be the end result dosage wise tends to be the same? Curious to hear how people react to these two carb sources that are different, yet quite similar?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Depends. Potatoes are a definite no no for me. Sweet potatoes, small amount in a stew is OK. Don't try and make them into roasties though. Baking changes something and will spike something rotten (at least for me). Taste and test.

Robin233

BANNED
Sweet potato contains high starch, high sugar content, about 23.1%, and is easily digested and absorbed and decomposed into glucose, which is prone to postprandial hyperglycemia. It is best for people with diabetes not to eat or eat less sweet potatoes.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Treat sweet potato and white potato in the same way as the end result is the same, one just takes a little longer to get there than the other.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sweet potato contains high starch, high sugar content, about 23.1%, and is easily digested and absorbed and decomposed into glucose, which is prone to postprandial hyperglycemia. It is best for people with diabetes not to eat or eat less sweet potatoes.

actually the OP is a type 1 diabetic and can therefore eat as many (or few) carbs as they like. @Villovigo ’s question was about which of the two foods requires more injected insulin, not whether those foods should be eaten or avoided.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I have no intention of avoiding sweet potato, I calculate the carbs, inject and Voila!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
could be the end result dosage wise tends to be the same? Curious to hear how people react to these two carb sources that are different, yet quite similar?

@Brunneria

I understand your point but the above was part of the post and the answer I think not dependent on what type you happen to be also the post was prefaced with out of curiosity and was asking how different people react and therefore treat the two similar foods

And also insulin doses do have to be calculated for amount carbs eaten and how fast those carbs are absorbed may have a bearing as the op made plain or so I believe.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria

I understand your point but the above was part of the post and the answer I think not dependent on what type you happen to be also the post was prefaced with out of curiosity and was asking how different people react and therefore treat the two similar foods

And also insulin doses do have to be calculated for amount carbs eaten and how fast those carbs are absorbed may have a bearing as the op made plain or so I believe.

I agree with you.
So it makes sense not to let this thread derail into a discussion on how lowering carb intake, or eliminating specific foods is the answer - because that would be a discussion for a different question, and a different thread.

Reactions: KK123

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
Last time, I measured after 2 hours my dad ate 100g microwave sweet potato, the result showed the blood sugar level is not too good. So I do not give him sweet potato anymore as a carb source.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not a T1, but I find sweet potatoes spike me about 3-4 hours after eating them, so for me they are a no-no. As are ordinary potatoes.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
I’m not a T1, but I find sweet potatoes spike me about 3-4 hours after eating them, so for me they are a no-no. As are ordinary potatoes.

Your results may show that glycemic index might be overrated.