Getting OmniPod soon finally

Alexsalter47

So my quest for a pump and cgm started like a year ago. and I'm now 11 days away from my OmniPod start date and I use CGM freestyle libre with attached MM2 for 5min BT readings.

The Omnipod rep said I 'll be getting Omnipod but not DASH as my careteam arnt trained on that. im uk based west sussex.

im excited. done MDIs for 17 years now.

anyone on pods? any exps they can share? anything will be nice to read. im on full prep mode atm.

thanks

Reactions: porl69

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Hi Alex

Which hospital group?
It was my understanding that the St Richards team was DASH trained. I could be wrong.

I know someone who attends St Richards, uses a Pod and Libre / MM.

I will ask him if he is happy for you to contact him.

Reactions: Alexsalter47

Alexsalter47

Heya, East Surrey, and then the local one i use is horsham, as I cant drive, so the east surrey team travel to Horsham Hospital for me. thanks

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
@Alexsalter47
as you have been on MDI for a long time you will be very well used to feeling that you are controlling your Diabetes because you make all your dosing decisions
going on a pump for me in the early days caused some real trust issues ( turning my whole life over to a small gadget ) …. so my advice is to really be kind to yourself and don't expect the pump to be a miracle from day 1 … it took me a lot of hard work and about 8 weeks to get all my settings totally right for me
following that time period though has been a huge game changer and I would never want to go back to MDI

Alexsalter47

Thanks for the replies. I'm excited and mentally ready for it. I want my settings now as you can guess.

I want to find that correct drip amount that keeps my bloods stable when I'm.not moving or eating anything. Do you think that's humanly possible for me to find?

It's going to feel so weird not using long acting anymore.

Thanks

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thanks for the replies. I'm excited and mentally ready for it. I want my settings now as you can guess.

I want to find that correct drip amount that keeps my bloods stable when I'm.not moving or eating anything. Do you think that's humanly possible for me to find?

It's going to feel so weird not using long acting anymore.

Thanks

Getting your basal patterns set can take a while. And as soon as you get them sorted they will change again, only slightly.
The only way really to find out is basal testing

Alexsalter47

Am I right in thinking the process is as follows?

I sit there,don't move or eat anything and then watch my blood. And alter the basal rate up or down then wait and see how the blood responds?

Sounds straight forward.

I presume I'm gonna have profile for like? "Sat at work" *working* "sleeping*?

It's a whole new world lol

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Am I right in thinking the process is as follows?

I sit there,don't move or eat anything and then watch my blood. And alter the basal rate up or down then wait and see how the blood responds?

Sounds straight forward.

I presume I'm gonna have profile for like? "Sat at work" *working* "sleeping*?

It's a whole new world lol
I am not sure you need to sit and do nothing , perhaps no strenuous exercise -- definitely no eating for the 5 hour time block you are testing
the book pumping insulin is a good resource to read up on an insulin pump

I always ran at least 2 basal tests on a time block before manking any changes -- you are looking for patterns in movement

I realise we are all different -- here is a pic of the current profile I am running on my omnipod

basal profile.jpg

Alexsalter47

I am not sure you need to sit and do nothing , perhaps no strenuous exercise -- definitely no eating for the 5 hour time block you are testing
the book pumping insulin is a good resource to read up on an insulin pump

I always ran at least 2 basal tests on a time block before manking any changes -- you are looking for patterns in movement

I realise we are all different -- here is a pic of the current profile I am running on my omnipod

View attachment 39220

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the advice. Haha I didnt literally mean 'sit and do nothing' haha, i ll just sit at my pc.

thank you for the image, I think I am slowly understanding. - ive ordered the book.

Last edited:
Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi all. What's the Exact differences between an OmniPod and an OmniPod dash?

Specifically

Thanks

X
It is the controller that is the difference -- omnipod has a pretty old fashioned (PDM) personal diabetes manager-- this controls all the functionality of the pod attached to you

Dash is a newer version that utilises a locked down mobile phone with touchscreen capability

Alexsalter47

It is the controller that is the difference -- omnipod has a pretty old fashioned (PDM) personal diabetes manager-- this controls all the functionality of the pod attached to you

Dash is a newer version that utilises a locked down mobile phone with touchscreen capability

Thanks for getting back to me

Finally, today was the day, and I'm now up and running on the OmniPod and liking it so far.

I have one question with XDrip, my current setting for insulin time of action is set at like 2.75 hours, but i need to change it to 4 hours. and for the life of me I cant find that setting, if there even is one for it?

Anyone know? or can link people who could help? ive checked online as best I can, and even at one point came across another fourm post I made haha.

Many thanks

Last edited:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks for getting back to me

Finally, today was the day, and I'm now up and running on the OmniPod and liking it so far.

I have one question with XDrip, my current setting for insulin time of action is set at like 2.75 hours, but i need to change it to 4 hours. and for the life of me I cant find that setting, if there even is one for it?

Anyone know? or can link people who could help? ive checked online as best I can, and even at one point came across another fourm post I made haha.

Many thanks
there is a setting you need to look for. “insulin duration in hours”. This is found in settings>xDrip+ Predictive settings>low level settings.