Danger of covid compared to the risk of everyday life

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Hi everyone - I wondered to what degree people are going about their usual tasks currently or whether people are still at home?

As we come out of lockdown I’m beginning to venture outdoors with a proper mask. I don’t seem to be the only one either!

Part of the worry seems to be about conflicting advice particularly between the home nations.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm wearing a mask and sunglasses (fitted goggles) outside.

Reactions: Buzzer81

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I can only say I'm still on furlough and doing only walking and shopping.
Where I live, there is still a local hot spot and should not be coming out of lockdown.
The advice given by the so called government experts driven by economic reasons are far too early for areas other than some southern areas of the country.
It is totally bereft of common sense and not enough leadership.
You can have your cleaner in but not a member of your family!
Not closing down airports and allowing thousands of potential carriers of the virus in without tests!
You only have to look at football, and the disagreements caused by the television companies, football industry, police, and the government. It is not safe, not yet!

Too many dying!

It is no coincidence that we have one of the worst death rates!

Reactions: JMoli and ert

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am staying in but after all these weeks it's getting wearisome.

I have not been out of the house except for the back yard or the front doorstep for over seven weeks now.

Except for one drive to Lincoln to fetch my grandson home and I was in the car wearing gloves and mask the whole time.

Vegman1441

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m type 2 with prostate cancer and have been told I’m not venerable yet the nhs says 25% of people with diabetes die of this virus.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m type 2 with prostate cancer and have been told I’m not venerable yet the nhs says 25% of people with diabetes die of this virus.

Complete and utter twaddle.. the NHS says no such thing.

Of the people who have died 25% may have had "diabetes" that does not mean that 25% of people with diabetes will die of COVID .

In fact so far globally it has still killed fewer than 2 days worth of regular deaths.
Please use perspective and not fear.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect a high percentage of those who died had false teeth but that doesn't make false teeth a risk factor.

Jamie H

My take is slightly different, 25% of diabetics will not die of Covid, 25% of diabetics that catch it will. Big difference
1. 25% of deaths were people that had diabetes. So that's 25% of the people who were sick enough to be admitted to hospital. Which is about 5% of cases. That is completely different from a 25% chance of dying from covid if you get it as a diabetic.

2. There is no other information about those people's general health. Unfortunately we all know that some people with diabetes also have a number of other underlying health conditions. How many of these people had solely diabetes?

3. Nowhere does it state how well controlled each of these patients were. The NHS also released a study to say if you're hba1c is 7.5% or under that the HR is quite a bit lower than if not. This is different to how well controlled your BG levels are once you contract the virus.

4. Unfortunately this is a horrible virus that is more likely (not exclusively) to attack older people who are more likely to have several comorbidities at the same time including diabetes.

5. I am not burying my head in the sand and will take extra precautions but this is exactly the type of thing that the below article warns against

https://diabetestimes.co.uk/top-pro...fact-checking-amid-diabetes-link-to-covid-19/

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got a letter from the surgery yesterday telling me to isolate until the end of June. I only stick my nose out of the front door to clap the NHS.

However Hotel Chocolat sent me a box of chocolate which landed this morning so not all bad.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I suspect a high percentage of those who died had false teeth but that doesn't make false teeth a risk factor.

In an ICU if I remember from my last stay in one people with false teeth don't keep them while in there diabetes stays with you where ever you go.

"
In fact so far globally it has still killed fewer than 2 days worth of regular deaths.
Please use perspective and not fear."

I don't know the actual statistics but to hazard a guess that possibly the same can be said of diabetes itself but I see you still take all possible measures to control your blood sugars and avoid complications.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Sure do which likely protects me against a fairly mild virus as well.
Tell that to the families of 119 NHS staff that have died.

In the flue season about 1000 people die in the UK so far this mild virus has killed at least 33.000 people.

I will continue to give this virus the respect it deserves along with the other mild viruses such as Ebola, SARS, and MERS I think you of course can treat it with the contempt you so obviously feel for it good luck.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Jamie H

Had my check up today (phone call). Diabetic nurse was obviously cautious about what she said.. However the thread of her advice seemed to fit with what has already been said... The stats are somewhat hard to extrapolate as diabetes is often present along with a range of other comorbidities.

Her advice to me (type 1, 31, hba1c of 53).. Go out if you need to, be careful, socially distance, wash your hands but wouldn't advise shielding... This is obviously tailored to my personal circumstances but my takeaway is that diabetes alone and well managed is not in itself a high risk factor (there is some associated risk and I will be taking precautions of course). If diabetes can be a result of hypertension, obesity and lifestyle etc then of course it will be present in more people that are getting severely ill (not saying all type 2 diabetics are obese btw!!).

I am fully aware and sensitive to thay fact this does not apply to others on this forum who may be older or have other underlying health conditions nor am I ignorant to that.. But I think it demonstrates the need to look at diabetes as a risk factor in its own right which has yet really to be done (we are beginning to get a picture good control minimises risk... And won't be done so thoroughly enough for many years to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: kev-w

Vegman1441

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Complete and utter twaddle.. the NHS says no such thing.

Of the people who have died 25% may have had "diabetes" that does not mean that 25% of people with diabetes will die of COVID .

Please use perspective and not fear.
Ok fine so it’s safe for me to go out again