To Omnipod or not to Omnipod that is the question?

gillkin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone
My current Medtronic MiniMed Pump is due for renewal and I've been given the option of a similar updated tubed pump or the Omnipod. Whilst I like the idea of no tubing and not having to disconnect to shower etc, I'm unsure about how much of a nuisance it is to have a separate PDM and have to think about carrying that around with me. Any Omnipod user views would be welcome.

Thanks very much

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm unsure about how much of a nuisance it is to have a separate PDM and have to think about carrying that around with me.
I don't have any experience with pumps so I'm not the right person to answer to your questions. But my first thought on this is that you could always attach it to your clothes with a thread, just like before with the pump itself. Only easier to unattach, as you will still get your insulin when you 'disconnect'.
Or is the PDM much bigger than a tubed pump?

gillkin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't have any experience with pumps so I'm not the right person to answer to your questions. But my first thought on this is that you could always attach it to your clothes with a thread, just like before with the pump itself. Only easier to unattach, as you will still get your insulin when you 'disconnect'.
Or is the PDM much bigger than a tubed pump?

gillkin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, it's about the size of a mobile phone, you can't use your own mobile with an app unfortunately.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
@gillkin
a few thoughts on this …..

Omnipod Dash is rolling out in the UK currently -- so the PDM has been replaced by a closed down mobile phone ( only talks to the pods ) that is much more user friendly ( touch screen )
however it does not have a BG meter like the old PDM , so you would need to carry a separate meter

I love my omnipod and the freedom from any tubing......I never forget my PDM … it is always put in my diabetic supply bag whenever I leave the house.

Last edited:

gillkin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for that information, I like the idea of no tubing too.

chrissyrobbo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have used the Omnipod for over 5 years now and have found it much more convenient than my previous Medtronic pump. If I’m out and about for a short time & not going to eat I don’t take the PDM with me. It’s fine in the bath or shower but I have found when I’m on holiday and in and out of water the Omnipod patch doesn’t always stay on. Apart from that it makes my life so much easier.

T4C0

I was on Medtronic for 6 years and now use a Omnipod. I would never go back. There is many more pros than cons. No hose is top 1. Plus no worries about flying and bubbles forming like I would get. Only con is size of adhesive. Its large and rips off a lot of hair on stomach. Other consideration is that it's only a 200 unit reservoir. Which I believe is less the Medtronic reservoir. As to PDA it's really not an issue as it's the blood glucose meter too. Eye balling it it's just larger than a deck of cards.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
If you do not have a cannula preference or issues with your body not liking cannulas, then Omnipod is a neat choice. If you do, then it’s not so good.

kiwiian

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone
My current Medtronic MiniMed Pump is due for renewal and I've been given the option of a similar updated tubed pump or the Omnipod. Whilst I like the idea of no tubing and not having to disconnect to shower etc, I'm unsure about how much of a nuisance it is to have a separate PDM and have to think about carrying that around with me. Any Omnipod user views would be welcome.

Thanks very much
I was given Omnipod i liked the idea of no tube ...but the pod is useless.with no built in meter it doesnt record hypos.If you are low theres no way you are going to sit there trying to input bloods on a disused phone .The pods do not stay on the needle is so short if you do any exercise at all the needle comes out as they have made the sticker on pod so small. I would rather go back to a tube system .You cannot do manual bolus on a pod either they pretend its great because its half the cost to nhs but you will waste so many pods by getting them wet or sweating.When i complained they tried to say it was an extra hot summer ? my phone has been replaced twice already because of programme faults which in 4 months shows how bad a system it is i dont know how others are saying its great it really isnt

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I went from an Accu-check Combo to Omnipod, and while I loved the fact there was no tubing etc, I had lots of issues with high blood sugar and pain, sometimes on day 1 or 2, but frequently on day 3. Omnipod reps were extremely helpful, but after repeatedly changing basal, and ratios etc (which were fine on the Combo), I came to the conclusion it was due to the cannula being angled and 6 mm, rather than the 8mm I use with Combo. Returned to Combo, and it was such a relief. As porl69 says we're all different.

Fazzy

I love my Omnipod, its super easy to set up and use. It has really helped with my diabetes management. I have no trouble with it staying on during exercise or swimming. Not had any issues remembering the PDM and it goes into my bag along with my freestyle libre and all the emergency supplies we need to carry around with us. I like the dose calculations along with insulin on board plus the ability to extend the dose if you are having a meal out for example.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm trying to understand the difference between omnipod and omnipod dash. Is it just a different operating system and some improved functionality?

Do you keep pens in the fridge incase the pump has problems? Or heaven forbid you break or lose the PDM?

Eta, the system holds 200u, I use around 30u per day, do I still have to change the cannula every 3 days?

Fazzy

I'm trying to understand the difference between omnipod and omnipod dash. Is it just a different operating system and some improved functionality?

Do you keep pens in the fridge incase the pump has problems? Or heaven forbid you break or lose the PDM?

Eta, the system holds 200u, I use around 30u per day, do I still have to change the cannula every 3 days?

It is a different operating system with more functionality on the Dash. Essentially, the Dash is an adapted samsung phone that works only with the omnipod. The pod needs to be changed every 3 days and is a straight forward procedure.

I keep a back up of pens in case of failure and take plenty of pods plus insulin when travelling in case I need to change the pod prematurely.