Wife of T1D concerned about Covid

Wifeoftype1

Hi, I'm brand new to this, my husband is T1D and suggested we join the forum to find out more info.
I'm currently really anxious about him going out and about to work etc because of the Covid situation.
Are there any other partners of T1D feeling this?
I don't understand how T1D wasn't on the shielding list, but they're in the top list for getting the vaccine?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
HI, I am number 6 on the vaccine list and that's fine for me. Many of us type 1's still work ( I travel to school with children who have SEN) but we are not at the top of the vaccine list.
Distancing, washing hands, hand gel and wearing masks is the best way.
Take care.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Distancing, washing hands, hand gel and wearing masks is the best way.
Don't forget ventilation - belatedly now being advised by the NHS:

upload_2020-12-2_18-42-20.jpeg

Reactions: sleepster

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The vaccine priority list is a good reflection of the risks for diabetics. We also have a lot of data on actual risks and know that advanced age is 22 x risk factor whereas diabetes type 1 is 3x. 3 x of what? The population mortality risk is estimated to be 0.3-0.7% with the higher end being somewhere like NY where more people are fat, diabetic and/or vitamin D deficient. That gives me type 1 with no other issues out at 0.9-2.1% risk of death also comparable to the length of various daily car journeys if you frame it in terms of something we do without much thought of the risk.

Those stats apply to the situation in the Spring when we were far more vulnerable but now a lot of people have had this virus and depending on where you live there's less risk of infection judging by actual hospitalisation and death rates which are much lower despite the fear mongering going on by the media/government. Its been described as the 2nd bounce of a water skimming pebble.

Anyway this is why I am happily working and going about my daily life with hand washing but not much more. The risks of me not working are greater for me (loss of income and mental health) and I suppose this is what you have to weigh up with your husband.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have type 1 (but other health problems too) and my husband is certainly very worried about me getting covid :nailbiting:
I don't work and he works from home so we don't have to worry about going out to work, but really we've barely left the house since March.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone actually do this or have it done to them other than those poor kids sitting in lessons in their coats? Maybe just men and Northerners!
At the moment our bathroom window is wide open everyday as we have workmen in, I don't see why though as the majority aren't wearing masks while in our home although they are tested weekly due to the fact they are entering folks homes, its the first contact I've had with anyone else bar my mum and partner since March and with suffering OCD I'm freaking every day xx

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone actually do this or have it done to them other than those poor kids sitting in lessons in their coats? Maybe just men and Northerners!

My kids are at school. Vests & fingerless gloves!

The way I read it is we have to take extra care but that means different things to different people. I’m happy working from home, going to collect the kids from school twice a day, wearing a mask & only shopping in person when I have to. Having said that I have a job that suits working from home, I can online shop & when I can’t my very healthy 17yr old son can go out for me. It’s hard not to worry but if a T1 has good control they will hopefully be able to control their glucose enough to avoid getting seriously ill.

Reactions: NicoleC1971

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm brand new to this, my husband is T1D and suggested we join the forum to find out more info.
I'm currently really anxious about him going out and about to work etc because of the Covid situation.
Are there any other partners of T1D feeling this?
I don't understand how T1D wasn't on the shielding list, but they're in the top list for getting the vaccine?

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.. Your husband too. :)

Yarp, "covids." My wife has been a little concerned.

How long has your husband been T1?
Would he mind us knowing his age?
& what does he do for a proffession..? (Risk assessment point of view.)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Mechanics, tire fitters. Builders. Engineers. Landscapers The list goes on... ;)

Reactions: NicoleC1971
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Yes, the school driver does, driver is male and but we live in the South.