Freestyle Libre 2 accuracy

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I’m new to this. First day in fact. I’ve got the sensor 2 and I am using my phone and the freestyle Libre app to scan the sensor. I looked at the posts on the forum and saw that many people suggested to put the patch on then leave it 24 hours before activating it. So this is what I did. Put the sensor on Thursday tea time and activated it Friday tea time. I had started to eat at 6pm, my sensor was active at 6.25 and my scan was 5.8, 15 mins later 7.8, 3/4ht after 9.5, 25 mins later 5.7. I thought these seemed a bit erratic. So I did a finger prick check 7.8, waited 12 mins and then scanned 5.7? This seems a bit of a difference?

Is this a faulty sensor or does it need more settling in time?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If reported it would need to have been showing consistent inaccuracy for a minimum of 24 hours, they ask for at least 3 comparisons to a finger prick and the scan to have been done 15 minutes after the finger prick, I'd leave it until later on tomorrow before coming to a decision personally xx

Reactions: Eurobuff

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

What would you get if you where to scan, then 20 minutes later take a meter test from a finger on the same arm as the sensor?

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

What would you get if you where to scan, then 20 minutes later take a meter test from a finger on the same arm as the sensor?

Haven’t tried that. I will give it a whirl

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Ahhhh.

Finger prick 6.6
Sensor exactly 20 mins later 7.0

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haven’t tried that. I will give it a whirl

There is a 20 minute lag with a meter. It's why some say when lows treated it's not moved?
Cuz after carbs it's given 5 then checked again & can drop further. Then they panic & overtreat by shovelling food.
It's a lag in how the blood reveals its status, while a Libre uses interstitial means
So I alway give it 20 with my meter so long within 0.6mmol.
I'm happy with the ballpark as it sails... ;)

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a 20 minute lag with a meter. It's why some say when lows treated it's not moved?
Cuz after carbs it's given 5 then checked again & can drop further. Then they panic & overtreat by shovelling food.
It's a lag in how the blood reveals its status, while a Libre uses interstitial means
So I alway give it 20 with my meter so long within 0.6mmol.
I'm happy with the ballpark as it sails... ;)

Thanks, I’d read 10-15 mins so that’s why I waited 12. My blood sugar must be jumping about that ! You learn something new every day. I’ll give it another random check maybe tomorrow giving the sensor another day.

Just another question, I know the sensor is waterproof, is it soap proof?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahhhh.

Finger prick 6.6
Sensor exactly 20 mins later 7.0

If you use something like Xdrip or Glimp? Save time, test & just count back 3 or 4 dots on the graph.. (Each dot represents 5mins.)

Thanks, I’d read 10-15 mins so that’s why I waited 12. My blood sugar must be jumping about that ! You learn something new every day. I’ll give it another random check maybe tomorrow giving the sensor another day.

Just another question, I know the sensor is waterproof, is it soap proof?

You can bathe with it. I try to avoid knocking it.
I'm a little wary of hitting it with spray on deodorant too. (But to date I haven't lost one prematurely.)

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you use something like Xdrip or Glimp? Save time, test & just count back 3 or 4 dots on the graph.. (Each dot represents 5mins.)

You can bathe with it. I try to avoid knocking it.
I'm a little wary of hitting it with spray on deodorant too. (But to date I haven't lost one prematurely.)

I’ve only got the freestyle Libre app. I’ve just searched the App Store (iPhone) and can’t see either of them apps? I like the idea of that as the freestyle Libre one seems a bit basic.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve only got the freestyle Libre app. I’ve just searched the App Store (iPhone) and can’t see either of them apps? I like the idea of that as the freestyle Libre one seems a bit basic.

Glimp is on the play store place for Android. Xdrip can be found on the "GitHub" Night scout site.
The latter, you would need your phones permissions set to allow install?

If you are scanning? Glimp isn't a bad app. Both can be calibrated to the meter too.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

I've a feeling we may have had this discussion before, but surely the blood test is more current than the sensor reading on the chart. So if you do a glucometer test you need to count forward 3 dots (which of course you can't do because the sensor hasn't got there yet). I'm probably missing something here???

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've a feeling we may have had this discussion before, but surely the blood test is more current than the sensor reading on the chart. So if you do a glucometer test you need to count forward 3 dots (which of course you can't do because the sensor hasn't got there yet). I'm probably missing something here???

There have been pre libre discussions yonks back regarding meters & testing during hypos?
Now to be fair. Sensors have been known to be slow to recover from a low. I can not only feel back up in the zone whilst the Libre contraires, but the meter confirms it so..

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glimp is on the play store place for Android. Xdrip can be found on the "GitHub" Night scout site.
The latter, you would need your phones permissions set to allow install?

If you are scanning? Glimp isn't a bad app. Both can be calibrated to the meter too.

doesn’t seem like I can get those apps on my iPhone

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
doesn’t seem like I can get those apps on my iPhone

Ah, iPhone.

Probably would complicate stuff regarding the L2's Bluetooth. Don't feel Glimp is ready for it with a workaround & Xdrip needs a patch?

I'm personally not looking forward to a new set up with the BT bridge I use with the L1. When I do get hold of a MKII. :banghead:

Please let us know how you get on with regards to checking the calibration though. :)

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, iPhone.

Probably would complicate stuff regarding the L2's Bluetooth. Don't feel Glimp is ready for it with a workaround & Xdrip needs a patch?

I'm personally not looking forward to a new set up with the BT bridge I use with the L1. When I do get hold of a MKII. :banghead:

Please let us know how you get on with regards to checking the calibration though. :)

I will, thanks, I will test it again tomorrow hopefully it will have settled in and be ok

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you use this alongside still using the official Libre app

Yes, I initialise with the Libre app anyway. On my phone when I was using Glimp & scanning with NFC, if I didn't have either app open a box would pop up asking if I prefer Librelink of Glimp. Then you chose.
I rate the app. I just found it a little unstable on my device with connection when I started using a Bluetooth bridge?
Which was why I switched to tried & stuck with Xdrip.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I initialise with the Libre app anyway. On my phone when I was using Glimp & scanning with NFC, if I didn't have either app open a box would pop up asking if I prefer Librelink of Glimp. Then you chose.
I rate the app. I just found it a little unstable on my device with connection when I started using a Bluetooth bridge?
Which was why I switched to tried & stuck with Xdrip.
Do you need a bubble or miaomiao to use Glimp? Also does it do UK mmol as the images suggest US mg measurements, sorry for all the questions! xx

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you need a bubble or miaomiao to use Glimp? Also does it do UK mmol as the images suggest US mg measurements, sorry for all the questions! xx

If you just scan, Glimp is fine. I have used MM2 with it. (But on my phone the connection with it could be a little flakey.)
& it can be set to Mmol. :)

Reactions: kaylz91

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, iPhone.

I’ve done another test.
Finger prick 6.1
Sensor Scan 15 mins later 6.0
Sensor Scan 20 mins later 6.1