Hi I have been put on to Dapagliflozin from Gliclizide does anyone have weight loss experience?

1970clea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have lost 5lb over 4 months - but I have also reined in my attitude so I am eating less - hasn't been a wonder drug for that at all for me. Do make sure you drink a lot though, otherwise the side effects can be quite bothersome. I was fine until going back in to work in school meant all day in a face mask - I have noticed the difference :'(

Reactions: KB1978

1970clea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
However on the plus side my bgs are now firmly back where they should be :D

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The Dapagliflozin helps remove some glucose from the body. Gliclazide stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin. If you are T2 with excess weight the latter tablet may not help that much as T2s typically already have too much insulin they can't use. You need to keep all the carbs in your diet down.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Bariyo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I have lost 3lb since December. I wasn’t strictly watching what I was eating at all. I suppose if I had, I could have had significant weight loss.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I assume it's an sglt2 drug like empagliflozin. I lost weight when I went on jardience, but to be fair, I was taking other steps, such as low-carb eating at the time. So it's impossible to day it definitely lead to weight loss, but I feel pretty strongly that it helped.

If you are going from gliclazide to this, it should make a noticable difference, as gliclazide promotes weight gain, and SGLT2 inhibitors promote weight loss, so the swing from one end to the other should help.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dapagliflozin was my favourite diabetic drug. I was taken off it because there was a potential that I could get pregnant at the time, so it couldn't be risked. However, I lost weight, my bg's were the most stable that they had ever been. The only side effect that I noticed was thirst. Be prepared to have a bottle of water by your side constantly (and also, peeing all the time!).

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wondering what to expect on this medication
you need to be aware of the side effects as with every drug. Thrush is very common on these types of drugs so be wary but hopefully keeping up your fluid intake will help mitigate the risks there. To be fair the thrush issue was told to me by the doctor

I also got a warning from the NHS for it about DKA so hopefully rare but worth keeping an eye on yourself

I don’t want to put you off, apart from one case of thrush and a painful back I was okay with it. I only stopped cause I took on low carb and managed to drop all my drugs

If you are looking to lose weight, maybe there are other options too. If you need any support or questions feel free to ask on the forums :)

Last edited: