Fed up

Jo123

I've been low carbing for 11 years after being diagnosed pre diabetic. My bmi is 20, was always normal but higher normal at 24, I lost the weight when first diagnosed.
My carb count is about 80gms a day but that's counting everything, including non carby green veg. I have a hiatis hernia so can't eat too much meat or rich food as I feel awful if I do.
Having not had an hba1c last year I thought I'd buy some strips and test again, I was shocked after a breakfast of 4.2 carbs that my blood glucose was 8 at 1 hour!! That's my highest reading but I'm fed up. I have to eat a good amount to maintain my weight.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been low carbing for 11 years after being diagnosed pre diabetic. My bmi is 20, was always normal but higher normal at 24, I lost the weight when first diagnosed.
My carb count is about 80gms a day but that's counting everything, including non carby green veg. I have a hiatis hernia so can't eat too much meat or rich food as I feel awful if I do.
Having not had an hba1c last year I thought I'd buy some strips and test again, I was shocked after a breakfast of 4.2 carbs that my blood glucose was 8 at 1 hour!! That's my highest reading but I'm fed up. I have to eat a good amount to maintain my weight.
Did you test at 2 hours as well to see if it came down?

Reactions: Jo123

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you test your fasting blood sugar? Perhaps it was high to begin with. :(

Jo123

My fasting was 5.8, fairly normal for me although my hba1c's have been from 32 to 35 I've never got to consistent normal fasting levels.

Reactions: Rach612

Jo123

@Daphnap yes it did come down to 7.3 after another hour. I was just shocked as when I tested when first diagnosed it never went that high. I never got 7.8 which is when I understand problems start.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Was this a first test back after a break from the meter?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee, yes.
I haven't bothered for a year or so as I've always had good hba1c's.

Could just be a "one off" random with the meter?
Have a look at logging some longer term trends.. You maybe more pleasantly surprised?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are your test strips in date? Does your meter need coding or is it code-free. If you have only just started again after a year these need checking.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. Those postprandial readings don't match your A1c at all. Fresh strips or new meter.

Congrats BTW on a great A1c across these years

Jo123

It is new strips, I could order a control test.
I only checked as I haven't had my hba1c since the pandemic.

Jo123

Thanks @Ronancastled that's interesting.

I'm going to call my gp to get an hba1c done now things have calmed down. I also think I'll monitor for a while and hope it's a one off.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Ronancastled that's interesting.

I'm going to call my gp to get an hba1c done now things have calmed down. I also think I'll monitor for a while and hope it's a one off.
And don't forget that losing sleep or an infection can also cause your liver to send out some glucose.
Anyway one swallow doesn't make a Summer so hba1c is your best bet.

Jo123

I've been testing today and things are a lot better, fasting 5.4 then highest 1 hour after breakfast was 7.2 then all lower, my highest reading is always after breakfast.
In hindsight I had an evening snack of nuts on Monday night as I was hungry. I think this might have impacted on the next mornings readings. I'll make sure I really fill myself up when I have dinner so I don't snack!
But thanks everyone for your input it helps.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been testing today and things are a lot better, fasting 5.4 then highest 1 hour after breakfast was 7.2 then all lower, my highest reading is always after breakfast.
In hindsight I had an evening snack of nuts on Monday night as I was hungry. I think this might have impacted on the next mornings readings. I'll make sure I really fill myself up when I have dinner so I don't snack!
But thanks everyone for your input it helps.

Your fasting reading was very good. I agree well done for keeping your HBA1c’s in range for 11 year. That’s amazing, you should be very proud.

Reactions: Sad21+

Jo123

Right well I have been testing a lot and have cut our my lunchtime bowl of broccolli soup, home made by frying small chopped onion, garlic, then adding bag frozen broccoli and stockpot, simmer and blend, tasty and low carb. I found my readings after lunch took a long time to go down. I now have something lower carb.
Well it's been 4 days since no lunchtime soup and I had a fasting of 4.4 and a before dinner reading of 4.6., highest one hour after breakfast of 6.8. I haven't ever seen a fasting of under 5!

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldvatr