Do all roads lead to diabetes for me?

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks you guys. I just about managed to stay out of hospital but now parents are making me eat some carbs they say I need to put on weight and nhs people say too. I had some yesterday felt sick after and my numbers shot up to 11.2 at one point. I’ve been trying so hard at the low carb I just hope I can be a diet controlled diabetic if I have to be one. I’m worried these high numbers are damaging to my organs. Prior to that I’d been adding fat butter, olive oil etc to lettuce, chicken so I didn’t lose anymore weight and having some FF Greek yogurt as been doing keto.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fat free is not keto and won’t help maintain weight either.

I doubt you’ll get much support right now from many for doing keto whilst you are struggling with an eating disorder. Please fill up on good fats and proteins at least so you can heal and demonstrate you are healing and eating, then the pressure to eat carbs may ease and everyone will be happy. And non diabetics can shoot up too after carbs. But come back down more quickly than diabetics do.

Remember too if you haven’t been eating carbs as you haven’t, for a while they will spike you higher whilst you get used to them again. It’s called physiological insulin resistance or glucose sparing. It’s totally natural and normal and goes away as you carb up over a week or so. So don’t panic about it.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks you guys. I just about managed to stay out of hospital but now parents are making me eat some carbs they say I need to put on weight and nhs people say too. I had some yesterday felt sick after and my numbers shot up to 11.2 at one point. I’ve been trying so hard at the low carb I just hope I can be a diet controlled diabetic if I have to be one. I’m worried these high numbers are damaging to my organs. I’ve been havin
Fat free is not keto and won’t help maintain weight either.

I doubt you’ll get much support right now from many for doing keto whilst you are struggling with an eating disorder. Please fill up on good fats and proteins at least so you can heal and demonstrate you are healing and eating, then the pressure to eat carbs may ease and everyone will be happy. And non diabetics can shoot up too after carbs. But come back down more quickly than diabetics do.

Remember too if you haven’t been eating carbs as you haven’t, for a while they will spike you higher whilst you get used to them again. It’s called physiological insulin resistance or glucose sparing. It’s totally natural and normal and goes away as you carb up over a week or so. So don’t panic about it.
Thanks I’ve been having my normal eggs and 2 rashers of bacon for breakfast (I cut out the spinach with it) and a chicken drumstick for lunch with maybe some lettuce and olive oil. The soles of my feet are very itchy at night and I’m up and down to the toilet to pee a lot then. No glucose in my urine though as it was sent to a lab. And of course exercising every day but been getting a lot of 7’s in the am which worries me.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Keto is not fat free. You seem dangerously uniformed about food and health.
full fat that’s what I mean by FF Greek yogurt. I know you guys had said Full fat stuff better as less sugar and carbs. :) You especially helped me with this Lucy. I don’t buy low fat anything now that’s prob what go me into this mess in the first instance.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I’ve been having my normal eggs and 2 rashers of bacon for breakfast (I cut out the spinach with it) and a chicken drumstick for lunch with maybe some lettuce and olive oil. The soles of my feet are very itchy at night and I’m up and down to the toilet to pee a lot then. No glucose in my urine though as it was sent to a lab. And of course exercising every day but been getting a lot of 7’s in the am which worries me.
Very relieved to hear you say full fat not fat free. (FF more typically means fat free). Nothing wrong with spinach so not sure why you cut this. I hope there’s a good dinner to follow breakfast and lunch. If lab tests show no glucose and hb1ac is incredibly low at 28 then maybe you need to stop testing yourself for now get everything else back on track - whilst avoiding the highest carb foods in excess amounts - and then check again later, damage will take time. You have time. It doesn’t happen overnight even if there really is an issue (which I am far from convinced there is)

And yet again I’ll say (not that you believe it) I’m still really struggling to see how you can be type 2 with an hba1c of 28 and lab tests showing no glucose and also that morning readings are affected, in everyone, by lack of sleep and stress (of which you have plenty). Have you checked these morning readings on just one meter btw? It could be faulty….

Reactions: Rach612

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
full fat that’s what I mean by FF Greek yogurt. I know you guys had said Full fat stuff better as less sugar and carbs. :)
Very relieved to hear you say full fat not fat free. (FF more typically means fat free). Nothing wrong with spinach so not sure why you cut this. I hope there’s a good dinner to follow breakfast and lunch. If lab tests show no glucose and hb1ac is incredibly low at 28 then maybe you need to stop testing yourself for now get everything else back on track - whilst avoiding the highest carb foods in excess amounts - and then check again later, damage will take time. You have time. It doesn’t happen overnight even if there really is an issue (which I am far from convinced there is)

And yet again I’ll say (not that you believe it) I’m still really struggling to see how you can be type 2 with an hba1c of 28 and lab tests showing no glucose and also that morning readings are affected, in everyone, by lack of sleep and stress (of which you have plenty). Have you checked these morning readings on just one meter btw? It could be faulty….
No sorry should have clarified the FF. A HBA1c was 30mmol last week but honestly I think I’m just controlling it well at the moment with diet and barely sitting down/ exercise. Yeah on my dexcom tee2+ and kinetic although sometimes they spit out slightly different numbers. I have struggled to give up the dexcom and testing if I’m honest as I find it quite unnerving now knowing what’s going on and if my numbers 7+ I don’t want to be adding spinach to my breakfast for example. The evening meal I’ve struggled with cause of the dawn phenomenon.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been diagnosed and controlled for over 9 years and still have dawn phenomenon. My body just dumps glucose when I wake up. It's a thing. We are all different. Our bodies are not machines.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No sorry should have clarified the FF. A HBA1c was 30mmol last week but honestly I think I’m just controlling it well at the moment with diet and barely sitting down/ exercise. Yeah on my dexcom tee2+ and kinetic although sometimes they spit out slightly different numbers. I have struggled to give up the dexcom and testing if I’m honest as I find it quite unnerving now knowing what’s going on and if my numbers 7+ I don’t want to be adding spinach to my breakfast for example. The evening meal I’ve struggled with cause of the dawn phenomenon.
The spinach barely going to make a difference to bgl. It’s a nutritious low carb leafy green. Why do you think will?

It’s because it’s unnerving I think you need to take a break. It’s adding to your stress.

Why do you think the evening meal will effect DP? It’s going to happen or not regardless. In fact starvation makes glucose dumping more likely in an effort to mitigate the lack food.

There’s an awful lot more low carb diet controlled type 2 here (and in the wider world) than you list. And none of us are starving.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
The spinach barely going to make a difference to bgl. It’s a nutritious low carb leafy green. Why do you think will?

It’s because it’s unnerving I think you need to take a break. It’s adding to your stress.

Why do you think the evening meal will effect DP? It’s going to happen or not regardless. In fact starvation makes glucose dumping more likely in an effort to mitigate the lack food.

There’s an awful lot more low carb diet controlled type 2 here (and in the wider world) than you list. And none of us are starving.
I just read a lot of diabetes do intermittent fasting, OMAD or a small eating window so was trying that. I thought fasting was good going by Dr Fung Yes sorry I just listed a few people that had replied to me previously.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just read a lot of diabetes do intermittent fasting, OMAD or a small eating window so was trying that. I thought fasting was good going by Dr Fung Yes sorry I just listed a few people that had replied to me previously.
Intermittent fasting/omad means having a full days food in a shorter window. Not eating less. Also doesn’t explain avoiding something like spinach.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As we have explained before: Fasting means eating a whole days food in a few hours. Please re-read what Dr Fung says about fasting as I think perhaps your anxiety is making you skim read and not understand the points being made by Dr Fung and others.

You dont have to be a diet controlled diabetic, because you are not a diabetic. There is NO way your repeated HbA1c tests would show such low numbers if you were having the blood sugar levels you think you have.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Rach612,

I am a lot lot older than you but I also had gestational diabetes in my first pregnancy. That 'child' is now 28. I, unlike you, have been overweight for long long time. I also have a family history of both parents and also at least some grandparents with diabetes. Add in the fact that I love carbs and my diet contained more carbs than anything else. I used to calorie count and use my calories mostly for carbs and not always the 'healthy' carbs. I also suffer from anxiety. I have been on medication for depression after my first child and a couple of times since then.

With all that against me I had regular blood tests and did not develop diabetes until (at most) 3 years ago- closer to 2 than 3.

So while I do understand your concern I really don't think you have anything to worry about in relation to diabetes at the moment. It may be that you never do- my sister for example doesn't have diabetes. The fact that you are already lowering your carbs will possibly mean that even when you are a lot older than me you will not be a diabetic.

At the moment you need to be as healthy as you can for yourself and your family particularly your child. You are receiving medical advice to increase your weight. Please follow that advice. Please.

I can see you are worried about your fasting levels- can I tell you what I think- I'm not a doctor but I am a mother. Your anxiety is probably influencing your levels. I've just changed from a stressful job to a less stressful job and my fasting levels have decreased as have my other levels- just from the difference in stress of a job. Your body has made another human- a wonderful thing but stressful for your body. Your are looking after children- again wonderful but stressful. I'll bet your sleep is affected. If I sleep badly my fasting levels are higher.

If I honestly thought you needed to be concerned about diabetes I would say-I like most here are advocates trying to help diabetics. Objectively you are not a diabetic. My husband sometimes tests his blood (not a diabetic) and sometimes his levels are higher than say 6 or 7. The body is a very complex thing.

Get regular tests but don't worry while your HbA1c is so low.

Take care of yourself and your family and we may see you back here in a few decades or not.