Pasta and rice

Kevdee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys newly diagnosed type 2 I’ve looked at different foods and, there has been mixed results regarding eating pasta and white rice . Can I still eat these items thanks

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys newly diagnosed type 2 I’ve looked at different foods and, there has been mixed results regarding eating pasta and white rice . Can I still eat these items thanks
You can if you want to, no-one here'll slap your fork from your fingers with a ruler. But they will spike your blood sugars, more likely than not. (And that's white, brown, wholewheat etc too) https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might clear things up a little.

Anyway, welcome to our little nook on the web. Hopefully you'll feel better after reading around a little here. And hey, if at any point contradicting advice gets a bit much: A meter'll never try to sell you on anything, it'll just tell you how you respond to the food you're eating. It'll help you sort out the good advice from the bad. Impartiality is nice. ;)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Depends what you want to achieve.

Personally I don't even consider those things as "food" any longer.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets

OB87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's best to test your blood sugars and see how you response. I've never had an issue with pasta ( a much smaller portion than I would have had before I was diagnosed though). I've tested at various times to see it's effect. I don't eat rice as I usually just have it with a curry and I find cauliflower rice to be a good alternative.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just had a lovely home made chicken curry for tea. No rice at all, just mopped up all the sauce with a spoon. :hungry:

Reactions: EllieM

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to love rice and bread. Now that I know how they make foie gras, wouldn’t eat either. Cauliflower rice is good though.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Welcome!
As has been mentioned you can eat what you like and it is recommended to test your blood glucose before and after eating to understand how your body responds to the food you eat.
For me pasta and white rice are no longer an option along with other carbohydrate rich foods.
Good luck.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to love rice and bread. Now that I know how they make foie gras, wouldn’t eat either. Cauliflower rice is good though.

I'm quite okay with foie gras as I am with chicken and pork products. I don't think we treat the latter two animals any differently, free range or not.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I pre cook pasta and reheat it the next day, this is supposed to cut the carbs downs by converting something or other (for lack of a technical term this time of day). I have worked out the portion size so it does not blow my bgl to high.

It does not work on rice for me though.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm quite okay with foie gras as I am with chicken and pork products. I don't think we treat the latter two animals any differently, free range or not.
I just meant I don’t want to add anymore fat to my poor liver.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I just meant I don’t want to add anymore fat to my poor liver.
I understand and if that is the case, okay.
There will come a time, hopefully when a bit of fat is a good thing.