Ryevitas- can I eat them on a low carb diet?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Am tempted to eat ryevitas for a bit of variety. Each ryevita weighs 10g and contains 5.8g carb of which 0.2g sugars. Any thoughts?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Depends on how many carbs a day you are doing-for example,on my regime,2 Ryvitas would equal 1 third of my total daily intake so I personally don't eat them but for someone on say for example 60-70 grams a day,they could eat a couple of them at lunch and still have much of their allowance for breakfast and dinner left.

Reactions: 2 people

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It would also depend on the effect they have on your blood sugar. If you want to include them in your diet then test your blood sugar to see what effect they have.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
and it also depends on what you put on it.

Ryvitas have a GI of 68, which is classed as medium from a point of view of glycemic control. The glycemic load is 4 per slice, which is quite low. If you have more than 2 slices you are in the higher range.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I guess it's just a personal thing-I just see them as empty carbs and could eat a cooked breakfast for the same amount of carbs as 2 Ryvitas-others eat them in moderation as part of a controlled carb diet with no problems-If you want to eat them then just test and see if they affect your BG's or not.;)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I guess it's just a personal thing-I just see them as empty carbs and could eat a cooked breakfast for the same amount of carbs as 2 Ryvitas-others eat them in moderation as part of a controlled carb diet with no problems-If you want to eat them then just test and see if they affect your BG's or not.;)
Thanks. Would eat quite a few green veggies for evening meal. Today
:
2 rashers of bacon 2 poached eggs
2 ryevitas with cheese
Cod with cabbage in pasta with chorizo and cannelloni beans (later tonight)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have posted up my food today as I welcome any comments. I do not eat pasta, rice, potatoes. I miss my brown bread but have lost a stone in a month on LCHF. It makes the most sense to me. I am trying to vary my diet a bit so am trying to work out what I can introduce which will not prevent me from losing weight. I really want to know how "bad" ryevitas are. Should I eat them rarely, once a week, once a month? Same with Puy lentils. I would ideally eat the lentils once a week with 97% meat sausages and ryevita once a week with cheese - say on a Saturday. I know it's my choice but please, please comment. Breakfast is usually poached egg and bacon or smoked mackerel. Lunch is full fat yoghurt with a handful of berries and dinner is usually fish or chicken with veggies and a cream sauce. Sometimes a salad. Sometimes bean bake.

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have posted up my food today as I welcome any comments. I do not eat pasta, rice, potatoes. I miss my brown bread but have lost a stone in a month on LCHF. It makes the most sense to me. I am trying to vary my diet a bit so am trying to work out what I can introduce which will not prevent me from losing weight. I really want to know how "bad" ryevitas are. Should I eat them rarely, once a week, once a month? Same with Puy lentils. I would ideally eat the lentils once a week with 97% meat sausages and ryevita once a week with cheese - say on a Saturday. I know it's my choice but please, please comment. Breakfast is usually poached egg and bacon or smoked mackerel. Lunch is full fat yoghurt with a handful of berries and dinner is usually fish or chicken with veggies and a cream sauce. Sometimes a salad. Sometimes bean bake.
Hi Scandi, this reply is not about rye vita, so I apologise if it's off topic. I thought I would mention instead the types of foods you can have that might help stave off the cravings for things like bread, as you mentioned you miss it. To begin with, I thought any bread would be a no go for me, but the internet has provided a solution! There are two wonderful things you can bake with, and those are flax meal and almond meal (Ground flax seeds and ground almonds). When I want pizza, I make the base from flax meal. It's quite expensive, so I don't make them too often, but it's nice to have that option. http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads/r/flaxpizza.htm
There is also an amazing site that includes a recipe for a flax meal bread loaf. I have not tried this one yet, but it's very much on the list! http://www.lowcarbdiabetic.co.uk/Recipes.htm
My favourite thing at the moment is almond meal muffins, which are very low carb if you use Stevia instead of sugar. http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads/r/lowcarbmuffins.htm
I actually make a muffin 'loaf' and cut it into slices. I get about 12 decent sized slices, which form part of lunch for three days for myself and my wife. It usually takes about half an hour to bake rather than 15 minutes due to being a much bigger muffin. This is my muffin effort here :)
1920519_610521510487_1391350081_n.jpg

The key really is experimenting. If something spikes your blood sugars, avoid it in future. I am now eating a far more interesting diet than I ever was on high carb. Scour the internet for recipes as well, there is so, so much out there.
As others have said, everyone is different. If you eat some rye vita, test your blood sugars 20-30 minutes afterwards. If they are not high, it's all good, if they have spiked, they are probably best avoided.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re GI mentioned earlier.
Ryvita is one of those foods that have been tested at different times and different places and the GIs can vary.(sometimes recipes vary for a product described in the same way)
Ryvita made with wheat in the UK was tested in 1994 on T1 and T2 diabetics and had a GI of 74 (so I think quite high)
Ryvita made from 'hi fibre' whole rye in the UK was also tested on people with D and had a GI of 59 so much lower.
Ryvita, no type given in Canada had a GI of 69.(normal subjects)
The best ie lowest GIs came from tests on one made with pumpkin seeds and oats (46) and one made with sunflower seeds and oats (48) These were tested in Australia on normal subjects.
There's no guarantee that the Aussie pumpkin seed ones are the same as in the UK but those are the ones I would opt to try.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Re GI mentioned earlier.
Ryvita is one of those foods that have been tested at different times and different places and the GIs can vary.(sometimes recipes vary for a product described in the same way)
Ryvita made with wheat in the UK was tested in 1994 on T1 and T2 diabetics and had a GI of 74 (so I think quite high)
Ryvita made from 'hi fibre' whole rye in the UK was also tested on people with D and had a GI of 59 so much lower.
Ryvita, no type given in Canada had a GI of 69.(normal subjects)
The best ie lowest GIs came from tests on one made with pumpkin seeds and oats (46) and one made with sunflower seeds and oats (48) These were tested in Australia on normal subjects.
There's no guarantee that the Aussie pumpkin seed owns are the same as in the UK but those are the ones I would opt to try.
Tried the ones with sesame seeds. It was nice for a change 1 piece 10g 5.8g of carb with 0.2g sugaring. Feel like I've eaten something naughty! :(

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The dark rye tend to be good for me as well, but you have to test your reaction to them.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Today
:
2 rashers of bacon 2 poached eggs
2 ryevitas with cheese
Cod with cabbage in pasta with chorizo and cannelloni beans (later tonight)
I would find that diet hard, because I find if I eat any bread/stodge/substitute I want more carbs. I find it easier to cut them out completely - no bread, ryvita, pasta, rice, potatoes, low-carb bread etc. I used to have the odd slice of wholemeal bread with butter and marmite, which I absolutely love and which didn't spike me too much, but it just made me want more. I think it's probably more a psychological issue than a physiological one, and if your meter says you can tolerate ryvita and pasta and you can stick comfortably to the amount your meter tells you is safe then tuck in!

Kate

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Ryvita wholegrain crackerbread. 3.5g carbs per slice. I find two slices ok, with cheese after a low carb meal.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I think Tesco, but could be asda or Sainsbury..... I think any of the large 24hr stores will have them, the smaller ones not.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am afraid I can´t advice on Ryvitas as I don't like them, but for bread or other high-carb food in small amounts in general I think it is OK to have them once a week or once a month if it works for you. You will have to try. And test.

I prefer home-made nut crackers. Or occasionally, if I'm a bit naughty, a small piece of knäckebröd, preferably Leksands brungräddat.

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to have a couple of Ryvita Multigrain with Dairylea Cheese Triangles for lunch a couple of times a week as they don't have much impact on my BG levels. I've now swapped them for Finn Crisp Original Rye crispbreads as I love their crunchy texture. They can be found in most large UK supermarkets. Details here --> http://www.finncrisp.com/crispbreads/round-crispbreads/finn-crisp-original-rye/

Last edited by a moderator:

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I split dark rye ryvitas in two and eat with butter and cheese, 1/2 for lunch, and 1/2 for dinner. I also eat Finncrisp (from Tesco).