Honeymoon period and insulin requirements

debbiiee

I got one more doubt. I read that metformin will take some time to make the difference. If so shall i continue insulin in vry low amounts along with metformin?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I got one more doubt. I read that metformin will take some time to make the difference. If so shall i continue insulin in vry low amounts along with metformin?

I would do what doc said for now. If your levels start getting high, get back to your doc who may add a little insulin.

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
I'm only a few months in and my insulin requirements drift between about 8 and 15g per unit. I probably have 3 hypo's a week if I keep my BM in single figures. WIsh my Beta Cells would really f&*k off and die so I can control this beast :-(

Reactions: 2 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Absolutely Debbiiee!

Although LADA and the honeymoon phase of Type 1 can be unpredictable, it has been shown that producing some of your own insulin make diabetes easier to manage long term with less likelihood of the very serious hypos some of the long standing Type 1s on here describe. While our bodies are still producing some insulin, they can also protect us from dropping too low - I'm not sure if that is always the case with someone who isn't producing any insulin. Protect those beta cells!

Smidge

debbiiee

Thank you Smidge for the info..
I am only on 500mg metformin per day now. My 2 hrs postprandial values are high a little bit, but BG comes down to normal values in 4 to 5 hours. I am concerned about this high, but if i take insulin, I ll go low. Waiting for an appointment with my Doc:(

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm only a few months in and my insulin requirements drift between about 8 and 15g per unit. I probably have 3 hypo's a week if I keep my BM in single figures. WIsh my Beta Cells would really f&*k off and die so I can control this beast :-(
Whilst you have working beta cells, you're still making c-peptide which is thought to give some protection agains complications.
See this thread for info:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...ming-to-a-chemist-near-you.55648/#post-514932

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Debbiiee!

Yes that is a problem for early stage LADA. when I first went onto insulin, I was on 4 units of intermediate a day - the impact was miraculous. My pancreas decided to work better again and I ended up taking a single unit every two or three days. Even that amount made such a big difference. If I didn't take it my BG rose gradually over the days. I've been on insulin 4 and a half years now and still take relatively small doses although far more than the early days. Usually a total daily dose of around 20 units (basal and bolus added together) depending on what I eat. I'm really glad I went onto insulin when I did.

Smidge

Reactions: 2 people

David Gray

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I`m only a about month into it and have had a couple of low readings of 3.5 or so, i felt a little shaky, and would describe it as feeling a bit nervous. Would this be classed as a hypo? I would certainly say i was aware but didn`t feel threatened by it, and just went and sat down with a cup of tea with sugar, just like the good old day pre-diabetes lol