Urgent advice appreciated about Diabates Insipidus

UK2004

Type of diabetes
Insipidus
Treatment type
Diet only
Ten years ago I saw an endo because of frequent urination and the initial urinalysis and blood tests he was sure I did not have diabetes insipidus but said to calm you I can send you for a water deprivation test, they messed up the cannula in my arm so I walked out and didn't rebook the test. I'm starting to worry that this is what I have in mild form. I urinate more volume than I drink in a day, for example if I drink 1.8 litres I will urinate 2.3 litres. Also this morning I woke up and urinated 450 ml of dark urine then did not have a drink and an hour later did 250 mls of more light coloured urine. Is this not impossible without drinking some liquid to make it more diluted?

UK2004

Type of diabetes
Insipidus
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for that, I've read those pages though, hoping to hear from someone who has experience of the disease so can say whether there's a possibility I might not have it.

Harpar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't know much about diabetes insipidus, but I drink a lot. One day I thought I would measure what went in and what came out. 4 litres went in 4.3 litres came out. Obviously this doesn't happen every day because I would end up severely dehydrated. I have mentioned on numerous occasions to the doctor that I drink a lot and its always been dismissed as nothing to worry about. I even have to get up in the night - to have a drink ! !

UK2004

Type of diabetes
Insipidus
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you should definitely be checked for DI, unless you have mellitus in which case maybe that triggers the large volumes of urine.

Harpar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not diabetic yet, actually just dropped below the pre-diabetic range, but I'm the one with the anomaly of having normal fasting BGs 3.6-4.2, can do an OGTT with 75g and not go above 6.3mmol/l at any time, but food (a normal very modest meal) sends me into double figures ! ! Work that one out. Have absolutely no idea of what is wrong, but something ain't working right, waiting to see an endo in Sept.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello UK2004, one of the signs of diabetes is massive piddling and drinking, I origionally thought that I had D insipidus because of the previous. My gp at the time said it was mellitus, as not many people are diagnosed with insipidus, so I am taking the treatment for the mellitus. I still have piddle problems, and following a referal to a urologi
I have found through my own try and see, that the piddling is worse when I have had too many carbs, and too much tea at night. So I lessen my intake of fluids, and when you are thirsty, this is difficult, and have something protein before bed.
I too have recorded what fluids I take in and then recorded what I passed out, and I have had more out than in at times.
I found that having more protein than carbs worked for me, and having fruit teas help slow down the loo visits, especially during the nights, I also have the no added sugar squash, from robinsons fruit and barley range, summer fruits flavour, I have found that this is enough to keep me hydrated, without causing the many loo visits. The balancing act the carbs is one just you can conquer, and with suoort and help from all of us here, we will all get through things, ttfn

Ten years ago I saw an endo because of frequent urination and the initial urinalysis and blood tests he was sure I did not have diabetes insipidus but said to calm you I can send you for a water deprivation test, they messed up the cannula in my arm so I walked out and didn't rebook the test. I'm starting to worry that this is what I have in mild form. I urinate more volume than I drink in a day, for example if I drink 1.8 litres I will urinate 2.3 litres. Also this morning I woke up and urinated 450 ml of dark urine then did not have a drink and an hour later did 250 mls of more light coloured urine. Is this not impossible without drinking some liquid to make it more diluted?
Hi
I have same thing going on with me for 10 years. I know it’s been a long time this post was created. Can you please let me know what helped?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Noting that unless you are sweating a lot or lose water ion other ways such as diarrhoea , it is quite normal to pee out more fluid than you take in at times.

Food contains water, and also when you break down the constituents of food one of the products is water.

Water is mainly lost through the skin, the breath, the bowel and via urine.
Depending on the amount you have eaten and how much water it contained you could be taking in/producing more water than you are sweating and breathing out so then it comes out by the other two routes.

On the question of dark and light urine you can (see above) produce urine without drinking anything. If the first pee of the day clears all the wastes out of the bladder then the next one is likely to be lighter in colour.

I am not in any way saying that the OP might not have DI or DM - just suggesting that the reasons offered about urine seem possible as perfectly normal metabolic functions.

Edit: I've just looked up DI to check, and one symptom is very dilute urine. The OP was reporting the opposite (very concentrated urine) so this seems to support the original diagnosis that it wasn't DI.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I have same thing going on with me for 10 years. I know it’s been a long time this post was created. Can you please let me know what helped?

Hi and welcome :)

I am afraid that @UK2004 hasn't logged into the forum in over 5 years, so is unlikely to see your question.

You may find it useful to start a new thread describing your experience. More people may contribute then.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hi

Noting that the 3 posts above in this thread were all that the OP ever contributed to the forum, and that was over 5 years ago, I think that it is very unlikely that you will get an answer.