What are the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have these strange and rather painful sensations in my toes and they don't seem to go away. My control is good and no HPC seems interested in looking into the reason I have these sensations. I have booked an appointment in the week after next with a locum, nothing else to be had.

I noticed that on the test I had in September my B12 had dropped to the lowest ever while, still well within range and MCV had gone up, still within range too but higher than it has ever been before. Hb at the top of the range as always.

My questions are, those of you who need to supplement with vitamin B12, do you recognise the funny feet feelings?

What other symptoms did/do you have?

What treatment has worked for you?

How long did it take before you noticed any improvement?

Reactions: 2 people

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have these strange and rather painful sensations in my toes and they don't seem to go away. My control is good and no HPC seems interested in looking into the reason I have these sensations. I have booked an appointment in the week after next with a locum, nothing else to be had.

I noticed that on the test I had in September my B12 had dropped to the lowest ever while, still well within range and MCV had gone up, still within range too but higher than it has ever been before. Hb at the top of the range as always.

My questions are, those of you who need to supplement with vitamin B12, do you recognise the funny feet feelings?

what was your B 12 result Toto?

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Funny is how my feet feel mate.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Totto,

Have a search on youtube for 'Vitamin b12 deficiency'

There are several very informative videos on there.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B12 was 304 (140-620). Tests before that were 350, 385 and 412 so seems to be falling. No intrinsic factor tested but I will suggest this on my appointment on the 19th.

Tingling hands too, but far from as bad as feet.

Memory has been better but am also extremely slow to get going, quite like hypothyroid can't-be-botheredness.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
304 is not really very low. Mine was 110
I know it isn't low, but it is falling and I have these funny feet. And both gran and mum was/is on B12.

I really don't like the way my feet feel with pins and needles, pain and partial numbness.

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Totto, I have been diagnosed with B12 deficiency a few years ago. Go to your GP and get it tested again. I had no feeling whatsoever in my hands and couldn't even hold a shopping bag or cup of tea. It was horrible! I don't know what my levels where to be honest but I have been put on 3 monthly injections and that fixed it and I feel normal again:).

With regards to levels - I know (like for thyroid problems) there is a wide range of levels that are officially considered "normal" but I think it depends on the person whether you feel normal or not. What's normal for one isn't necessarily normal for someone else.

Reactions: 5 people

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know it isn't low, but it is falling and I have these funny feet. And both gran and mum was/is on B12.

I really don't like the way my feet feel with pins and needles, pain and partial numbness.
Sounds very similar to me. Do you feel anything in your hands, specially in the morning?
How is your diabetes? I am told the symptoms are similar. Oops two post later and forgot you said you hands were tingling..

Last edited by a moderator:

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry if you said this before but I have lost my mouse and hate these silly pad things, Have you been eating less B12 rich food ?