30 day low carb meal plan download from diabetes.co.uk

SkinnyLizzie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just downloaded this meal plan - recipes for low carb breakfasts, lunches and dinners, for 30 days. These meals average out at only 600 calories per day. I don't know about the rest of you but I'd have to have at least three helpings of each meal per day; either that or starve to death. It seems unlikely that whoever devised this plan thinks we can make up the rest of the calories we need from snacks given that these meals only provide one third of what most people need meaning the snacks would have to provide a whopping two thirds of our intake. I average 2000 calories per day and I am, and always have been, bordering on being under weight. I wish someone would come up with a sensible plan that provided what people actually need instead of these airy fairy plans that nobody could possibly live on, even if they were trying to lose weight, for any length of time. Phew. I feel better for that rant!

Reactions: Geejay13

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you give a link to this plan please??
And are you sure it;s low carb and not low calories?

Low carb diets are not only weight loss diets and can make up for any loss of calories from reduced carbohydrates by increasing consumption of fats and protein, and would in no way that I'm aware of be so low. Many athletes and bodybuilders use this style of diet, and I'm sure they couldn't survive on those sort of levels I'm on a very low carb diet, and certainly don't!!

So I'm more than a bit puzzled...

Robbity

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: 3 people

SkinnyLizzie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you give a link to this plan please??
And are you sure it;s low carb and not low calories?

Low carb diets are not only weight loss diets and can make up for any loss of calories from reduced carbohydrates by increasing consumption of fats and protein, and would in no way that I'm aware of be so low. Many athletes and bodybuilders use this style of diet, and I'm sure they couldn't survive on those sort of levels I'm on a very low carb diet, and certainly don't!!

So I'm more than a bit puzzled...

Robbity
The link is on the front page of www.diabetes.co.uk

SkinnyLizzie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
have a look at these and see if they help, the focus is on weight loss, but you can put on weight with LCHF if you want to
I take it you want a stable BG pattern?

http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blog/carbohydrate-restriction-an-option-for-diabetes-management
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf it’s a long page and a video

the first week
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm
Thanks. I manage to keep my BG stable and low without too much effort luckily. I was looking at the recipes in the download out of general interest. I eat, and can cope with, a reasonable amount of carbs. I also eat a reasonable amount of fat. As I've always been very skinny I don't really have much option but to eat both carbs and fat, I'm only a couple of pounds off being underweight and have been that way all my life, including pre diabetes. My Dr. is anxious that I don't lose any weight.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found this yesterday and downloaded it.

Some of the recipes are fab. But I agree that the portions are tiny.
I suppose the implication is that you fill up on other stuff, but there are no suggestions for accompaniments. And I wonder how many will supplement with bread, potato or rice. :banghead:

I'd try and fill up with green veg and add butter and cheese.

Having said that, it is a good resource, and the pictures and recipes are mouthwatering! I will just have to double up on a lot of the portion sizes and (sadly) ditch all the 30+ g of carb recipes. 30g is still low carb for most people, but it would be far too much for me.

I've listed several recipes (lemon and ginger chicken, mushroom soup, chicken korma, lamb burgers...) which look fabulous!

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made the garlic ginger chicken today. It was delicious, and mr B has asked for it again.

Because I seem incapable of following recipes exactly (I have come to the conclusion this is a major character flaw that I am powerless to resist), I added butter, a dash of lemon juice and served with huge quantities of green beans and broccoli.

Reactions: 4 people

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have failed several times to download this.

I get all the great-looking photos, but recipes are just varied sized and coloured blocks - frustrating!

Anyone got any ideas?

Val45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just downloaded this meal plan - recipes for low carb breakfasts, lunches and dinners, for 30 days. These meals average out at only 600 calories per day. I don't know about the rest of you but I'd have to have at least three helpings of each meal per day; either that or starve to death. It seems unlikely that whoever devised this plan thinks we can make up the rest of the calories we need from snacks given that these meals only provide one third of what most people need meaning the snacks would have to provide a whopping two thirds of our intake. I average 2000 calories per day and I am, and always have been, bordering on being under weight. I wish someone would come up with a sensible plan that provided what people actually need instead of these airy fairy plans that nobody could possibly live on, even if they were trying to lose weight, for any length of time. Phew. I feel better for that rant!

Val45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, don't bother looking for the 30 day meal plan as not now available it seems. Newly diagnosed with Type II, I thought it would be a brilliant idea and downloaded the whole thing. Then tonight I started on the first dinner described as Chicken with mushrooms and halfway through I had no idea what to do next! The instructions were just not clear as to what to do with the chicken once it has been sealed in hot olive oil. Should it go into the fridge with the marinating onion, garlic, green pepper and mushrooms or stay cooling on the workbench? Does it then go into the hot oven with the marinade? Who knows?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I was disappointed with this..

kipp

Please can you put the link up so that I can download the plan. thanks

Reactions: 2 people

SandieB

I find the cookbooks from this site are a bit hit and miss. Certainly the instructions are not always good as someone already mentioned. I downloaded one ( not the 30 day one) and half the recipes said they served 2 people, but the ingredients were obviously for 4....4 chicken breasts or salmon steaks for example. Very annoying. And once you've got one you don't need any of the others (even though they are free) as the same recipes are in all of them!
:)