self-harming by overeating high carb food or sugar

• Thread starter Deleted member 43917
  • Start Date

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In a way, being diagnosed as T2 has opened a door to new ways of seeing it and I feel more optimistic about getting to grips with it.

So something good can come out if it! :) Good luck!

In my case, it was the complete opposite - the diagnosis shocked, angered and depressed me, leading to rebellious binges because I knew what I had to do, I just didn't want to do it! That is where the book helped me, with simple, practical strategies of gaining back control. Also, support on this forum was (and still is) invaluable.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... the diagnosis shocked, angered and depressed me, leading to rebellious binges because I knew what I had to do, I just didn't want to do it! ..... support on this forum was (and still is) invaluable.

I've also been through shock, anger and depression! But for some reason or other, I've not got stuck in all that. But to be honest, it's easier to come out as T2 diabetic than as a binge / compulsive over-eater, and that feels important in all this.

Like you, I'm finding this forum a godsend.

JUNE56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did this from diagnosis in November 2014 until 6 weeks ago. I was in denial and ate whole packs of chocolate bars and biscuits every night. I was lucky, it didn't appear to affect my Hba1c test results too much (type 2). Now I'm on track and have lots of support from my GP and Practice nurse. Not saying I won't have a blip now and again. Wearing a wrist band has really helped me. Hope you are getting the support you need, don't be afraid to ask. :happy:

Reactions: 2 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. This is a fascinating thread. I've just read all of it. I was diagnosed a year ago and for the first six months I was really good with exercise and following a lchf diet and tHen I started to gradually go back to carbohydrates. At first the odd slice of bread or piece of chocolate until gradually I was eating the same as I had been before diagnosis. I have been back on track for the last two weeks. I must say that this website is wonderful for supporting, helping with ideas And recipes and providing all kinds of information. :)

Reactions: 2 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. This is a fascinating thread. ... this website is wonderful for supporting, ...

I definitely know I'm going to need things like this for support for a long time yet! Maybe a day will come when a different way of life has just become a habit, but there's so much change needed, that's hard to imagine.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
There are some delicious low carb snacks n food to eat... I try to spend a morning once a month with hubby making food n freezing it. I try to have some time to make avocado n choc mousse as weekend snacks too.
Trouble is with me I can't go back to bread or rice or pasta because it plays havoc with my slow colonic transit.

Its hard to find time to make all our food naturally and without sweeteners, preservatives etc because of them crippling me with pain.

Howver it is making the time... Its tough when others can go and buy anything but it is the only way for me.

I envy others that can eat anything but boy... Our homemade foods are absolutely delicious...as much as I envy others for being anle to eat anything off the shelves.. I would not change my food now...

I never been a high carber ever, but I can see how hard it is to stop...and keep with the lchf...I never had enough fat before and changing to eating olives, avocado, oily fish was so hard to do for me - I thought I hated all those foods for 50 + years.. But I admit after just having small amounts initially I am having copious amounts now.

Best tjing I bought was a spiraliser. I can fry up courgettes at anytime with a tspn of pesto added at the end and this is soooo tasty!! I can eat bowls n bowls of it!!

Keep at lowering carbs.. You can do it. Honest there are some fab recipes to try and enjoy.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are some delicious low carb snacks ...

I like the sound of courgettes and pesto - I was looking at a jar of that on the supermarket shelves the other day, wondering what i could do with it.

Any bright ideas for packed lunches?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1437942480.711965.jpg

Spiralised courgette prior to frying and the pesto stirred in at the end. The best fry up at any time of day.

I'm lucky I guess that I have so many courgettes growing in the garden. Definitely worth anting and growing. Easiest veg to grow and so very productive....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Baked courgettes are lovely too.. Take abit longer though. Cut in i/2 lengthways, scoop out the soft flesh.. Fry up onion, bacon and then add mashed courgette. Cut up some tomatoes too. Mix in together and put back in the courgette skins and cook at about 160 in fan oven for about 25 mins in mine. I grate parmesan over after ith some olive oil..

Really super food can be made so easily.. So please don't give up low carbing..

Change is hard to make.. But it is so worth it!!

Reactions: JTL

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Chicken n pesto is good too. Pesto is easyish to make yourself. I used to buy jars but now I'm having to look more at ingredients for preservatives and sweeteners then I make it myself...

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
diabetes has sort of liberated me in the sense that self-harm is easier to accomplish just by eating carbs and not injecting insulin for it. Granted that there are some complications i'd rather not have in the future as a result of a constantly high HbA1c, but i'm afraid thats not motivation enough for me until I actually get the symptoms. Sure I get the need to go toilet often during the night/day, feel weak and tired, and all of that stuff but my body is gradually acclimating to the high blood glucose, it just feels normal now and the harder I push it up, the more pronounced the symptoms will be. Thats depression for you - additionally I won't get prescribed anti-depressants because they say its brought on by my high blood glucose, when in fact i've had it before diabetes.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
diabetes has sort of liberated me in the sense that self-harm is easier to accomplish just by eating carbs and not injecting insulin for it. Granted that there are some complications i'd rather not have in the future as a result of a constantly high HbA1c, but i'm afraid thats not motivation enough for me until I actually get the symptoms. Sure I get the need to go toilet often during the night/day, feel weak and tired, and all of that stuff but my body is gradually acclimating to the high blood glucose, it just feels normal now and the harder I push it up, the more pronounced the symptoms will be. Thats depression for you - additionally I won't get prescribed anti-depressants because they say its brought on by my high blood glucose, when in fact i've had it before diabetes.
Am I understanding you correctly when you say your doctor has refused to prescribe you an antidepressant because you have high BG? That sounds odd... maybe the AD would really help you, and help you get to a place where you make the changes needed to get your BG down? Would seeing a different doctor help? Where I live, doctors are keen to prescribe ADs because they often lead to improved quality of life and can save lives.

Also, are you overweight, sleepy during the day and do you snore at night? Maybe you have obstructive sleep apnoea, which is often associated with T2 diabetes, obesity, and depression? A GP can refer a person for an overnight sleep study to find out.

amey_13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The Way The World Is Headed....
I've suffered from 'Diabetic Burnout' myself. It's horrible and mine was caused through bereavement. Talk to your team about getting advice, and stop beating yourself up. Everyone falls off the wagon at some point x

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't been on here for a while as I am struggling with my BG levels; I had a lot of stress and fell off the wagon food wise as the stress hormones sent my glucose really high. Also, one of the few things I never used to like but found actually I did was a home made bean stew but when I tested my BG after I found even that sent my sugars sky high. However, I am back on here far inspiration and to keep me on the straight and narrow!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't eat beans either - but when I take a heap of chicken thighs out of the cooker - with that crispy skin - or a whole chicken or joint of lamb, or see a beef mince with onion and mushroom and sweet pepper stir fry - it isn't me I feel sorry for.

Reactions: spook_kate_

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just get fed up with the same few things over and over again. My husband and I now cook and eat separately as he insists on using the high calorie cooking sauces which I can't eat. Sadly he doesn't support me in any way, never even asks me how I got on when I have seen the diabetic nurse.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
But there are so many things you can eat - low carb seems so free and easy in how wide a range of foods you can have.
One thing I used to do was make up weekly shopping lists with different foods, then use them in rotation.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sadly I am very atypical T2 and I can't eat the things I should be able to. I was normal weight for my height when diagnosed (8 and 3/4 stone) and now weigh 7 stone as the things that would put on weight I can't eat.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I must be really lucky. My husband non diabetic decided the best way to help me was to go low carb himself as well. Now he actually prefers spiralized courgettes etc instead of rice with his bolognese! Only problem is he has lost more weight than me and he is quite slim!

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Ann 1982 You are lucky, it is also good for your husband as it will help his overall health. I worry about my husband as he has a family history of coronaries ; father died of sudden heart attack and both his brothers who are older than him have had major coronaries and almost died but he refuses to eat properly, drinks too much and won't go the Dr for a check up but I have given up now with trying to get him to act responsibly.