What is the honeymoon period?

TakeItAway88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apparently you get it since diagnosed. I was told about it but didn't understand why your pancreas would magically start Producing insulin even though apparently it's not producing any?! Could this be to do with my amazing levels lately and good control

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Apparently you get it since diagnosed. I was told about it but didn't understand why your pancreas would magically start Producing insulin even though apparently it's not producing any?! Could this be to do with my amazing levels lately and good control

Hi, the theory is that by taking meds you releive the stress on your pancreas and it partially recovers to the point where it can start producing insulin again. This can last weeks, months or even years, there are no golden rules, but eventually your pancreas will 'probably' pack in completely.

Last edited by a moderator:

TakeItAway88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, the theory is that by taking meds you releive the stress on your pancreas and it partially recovers to the point where it can start producing insulin again. This can last weeks, months or even years, there are no golden rules, but eventually you pancreas will 'probably' pack in completely.
So pancreas could stay in the honeymoon period forever?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
By definition, I don't think 'forever' would be a honeymoon period?

It will probably end at some point, but nobody can tell you when.

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Maybe, but some people report that during the honeymoon period the pancreas can chuck out insulin for a while, stop, restart etc. There could be other reasons why your levels are good, - diet, exercise, etc.

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only need 6 units of lantus when following LCHF at the minute. Of course that can change pretty quickly!

Still feel at times maybe I should be bolusing but then I would hypo with what I eat... lol

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I started out 10 months ago with a diagnosis of T1 and was put on mixed insulin. Because of recurring hypos, I wondered if I was now producing my own insulin, so embarked on an experiment. No injected insulin and close monitoring.

I changed to a low carb diet in order to give my pancreas a fighting chance and I have now been without insulin injections for 5 weeks and managing to maintain a bg level between 5 - 9.0. I don't know how long this will last, but I'm enjoying the moment.

Reactions: 4 people

52O342UOIF

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So pancreas could stay in the honeymoon period forever?

Even in those who have had type 1 diabetes for >40 years there's often some (very small) insulin production left. If you want to keep the beta cells you have keep your blood sugar in a tight range, <7,8 mmol/L is optimal. Readings above that have been associated with beta cell death.

NowClosed11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, the theory is that by taking meds you releive the stress on your pancreas and it partially recovers to the point where it can start producing insulin again. This can last weeks, months or even years, there are no golden rules, but eventually your pancreas will 'probably' pack in completely.
Mine lasted 4 days in total

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
:) i've been off insulin for 3 weeks now and atm seem to be running along quite smoothly,exercise an diet is probably helping also but don t want to put a jinx on things ;)(probably already have :p) haven t a clue what diabetes I have,they said I had type 1 on diagnosis then had GAD test done and all come back negative so I'm in limbo atm :) off to do my run have a great day guys

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I'm still experiencing the honeymoon period - have been diagnosed about 10 months now and my Lantus dose is still only 9-10 units with total daily units of NovoRapid about 8-10 despite eating a regular diet. For my height and weight I think my Lantus dose would be higher if my pancreas was completely shot.

Reactions: 2 people