What would be your ideal care model for the NHS with your Type 1 Diabetes?

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@pinewood

You will get full access to records in England by Apr 2016 in England. The records available for patient to read are excellent. I already have all access to mine. Our GP uses patient access and our practice has this already.
That's good to know, do you access this by logging in to patient access at patient.co.uk ?

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whatever model they come up with should be consistent across the entire nhs. The nice guidelines means that we are subjected to post code lottery.

Patients who want a CGM should be offered one, the take up success for the abbott libre demonstrates how desperate T1s are in wanting to manage their sugars.

This would cost the nhs more in the short term, and the nhs does not have an appetite for spending more on t1 care.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@AndyS

Full results etc are available at some GPs Lready if you are an online patient.

Ie tonight I looked up my documents ref my recent op and the letter from the consultant to my GP was already there for me to read.

This has to be done by all GPs by April 2016 in England and like mine-already available.

Its up to the patients to register online.

Wven my childhood vaccinations and illnesses and problems and gp consultations are listed...

@donnellysdogs, yup I remember seeing about that. My Dr is clearly behind the curve. I think the issue is the complete lack of consistency and the fact that the Dr and Hospital do not seem to be able to share results in any consistent way either. It means I have to go to both so they can duplicate efforts just so they both get a tick in the box.

Today all I can do online is request prescriptions and even that seems to take them a few days to process.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Given that the NHS can't share information between different clinics within the same hospital building, it is hardly a surprise when they can't share it between GPs and Diabetic Clinics. There is a reason why all Diabetic clinic information is sent to the GP as a letter. They aren't allowed to send it as an email under normal circumstances. As an enterprise, it is shockingly backward in its comms mechanisms, and no-one really understands how to fix it.

Reactions: 4 people
M

mrspuddleduck

@AndyS

Full results etc are available at some GPs Lready if you are an online patient.

Ie tonight I looked up my documents ref my recent op and the letter from the consultant to my GP was already there for me to read.

This has to be done by all GPs by April 2016 in England and like mine-already available.

Its up to the patients to register online.

Wven my childhood vaccinations and illnesses and problems and gp consultations are listed...
Our on line system has been offline for three months and likely to stay that way til the new year at least!!!

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And the reason the letters take so long, is because they are often contracted out to businesses outside of the UK !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
In response to questions about seeing medical records.. Different GPs use different providers with their systems.
Ours just use patient access. Mine is an icon on my ipad or iphone and I can access it anywhere. Ie
My diabetes hospital, my oncology treatment and my cancer slice n dice is all at different hospitals. They still write to GPs the results and I can see copies of their letters online.
For example my slice n dice surgeon only told me I was ER and PR positive.. Not the actual figures. So last night I checked on line and our GP admin staff had scanned the full letter to my GP that actually stated the levels of ER and PR.

I don't think patient.co.uk is the same thing as patient access but will email my practice manager now and ask.

Have just emailed and will let you know the answers.

I'm just checking as well whether this is imposed upon GPs according to GMS/PMS contracts/QOF/DES/CQC that are all different with GPs too.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
MRI scans etc are often sent outside of the UK to be viewed but letters from consultants to GPs should be dealt with by their secretarys.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
There are a number of different medical software systems in use. Emis Web, SystmOne and Vision are the most popular. The majority of practices in my area are on Emis Web. Each system has its pros and cons. Emis Web is the most advanced in respect of patient access. SystmOne has a better interface with secondary care. As yet, however, it does not enable patients to see their medical records.

Not all patients will be able to see their full records on a carte blanche basis. Your GP will have to be approached to give psrmission and that seeing full records wouldn't be adverse to the patient or anybody else.

Nothing is straight forward.