CGMS

MrsMushroom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am being fitted with a cgms tomorrow for a week so that I can get an idea of what my BS are doing.

I wondered if anyone had any tips/advice on what to expect?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would suggest you keep a very detailed logbook of food quantities (carbs protein and fat), insulin doses, and exercise. With accurate times. This will allow you and your doctor to make much more sense of the data.

Reactions: 6 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What Spiker said...

I would write everything down, and expect to likely have spikes after meals that you didn't notice lol I don't how you do things, but if i ever got a CGMS (which i want sooo badly) i would likely notice those...

MrsMushroom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate it.

I am currently going through the process of getting a pump and I need to get my HBA1C down a bit first so I wanted to see what my BS are doing so I just asked my clinic if I could try one out. I've had to wait 2 weeks for it and i'm only going to have it for a week but I think it will be very beneficial.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah for sure it will!

Don't be afraid of numbers in the 5s.

Use this as an opportunity to verify that you have your basal insulin set correctly - So make sure that you eat a meal, bolus, and 4 hours afterwards (when your food should be digested and your insulin has worn off) to keep an eye on your sugars and see if they are going up, or down on their own (that is when you don't eat anything, or do anything really physical)

You could also try it in the morning, wake up and don't eat anything or take any rapid acting insulin and watch where your trending in the first couple hours... ideally you should wake up around 5mmol/L and without food or insulin or exercise you should stay around that reading for hours without change.

After verifying your basal, just keep an eye on your bolus - make sure you take it far enough before meals to prevent spikes within the first hour or two afterwards... and that you are using the correct ratio, so count count count!

Have a great week! I am excited for you haha

Reactions: 4 people

Diabolus X

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I use CGM permanently. It's fantastic and changed the management of my Diabetes for the better.

I suggest that you keep the sensors in the fridge before use. I've found this increases the lifespan of the sensor. Also use pre-injection alcohol wipes on the area of skin before inserting the sensor. This will improve the chances of successful insertion. I've managed to get two and half weeks out of each of my sensors.

Good luck-it will make a difference :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

bonerp

you need to ensure your bgs are aligned - ie test moe regularly with your finger pricker. I use CGMS with my pump (I fund them), and sometimes they can go in different directions!!! They are getting more accuate but theres always a time lapse so your CGMS will be behind your finger pricker.

Flossiealexis

Hey

I am also continually on cgm. Mine last for a week in terms of the insertion kits but the transmitter lasts up to six months. Interestingly though they have some really mixed results. If you are finding they don't correlate to your finger tests don't over calibrate your cgm it just takes longer to settle down. Note down the time it is playing up and do normal finger pricks then recalibrate twelve hours later. Good luck with it. I hope you get the answers you need just being able to identify a pattern is helpful but as you know these always have potential to change! I am brittle though so that may be why I struggle.

Fingers crossed for you.

Xx

LizLola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think advice depends on which cgm you are using. I have a minimed Paradigm pump and cgm. The sensors last 6 days, then say they are finished, but I pretend it's anew sensor and get one more day. But then it won't work any more.

The sensors used to be pretty inaccurate really, but the new sensors are brilliant - and now Bayer have brought out a new blood testing machine that links to the pump, which IS accurate (the last one that linked was useless) the two things are very, very good.

I'd say, yes, after insertion the sensor is not quite as accurate as it will be after a few hours. The longer it is in, the more accurate it gets.

On the whole, I would say don't leave a sensor in too long. When they were testing them during trials one of the types of sensor left traces of silicon I think it was under the skin, and they broke off and all sorts. I suspect the 'lifetime' is a safety precaution and i would stick to it.

Reactions: 2 people