Antisocial aspects of LCHF diet?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on Metformin, which is a diabetes drug that is renowned for creating flatulence, Now I am trying LCHF diet, and I find it is making my problems worse, I suspect that by emphasising the lower carb vegetables such as cauliflower, cabbage, brussel sprouts (and brassicas in general), and then increasing my consumption of eggs and meat protein, has made my emissions more noticeable. Has anyone else experienced this pheonomenon? I start Jury service tomorrow, and feel embarrassed already. Sorry if I put you off your breakfast.

Amethyst579

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Taking it on an empty stomach can make it worse? There is a modified release version which is kinder on the gut if the regular kind is intolerable. It would be up to your GP

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Taking it on an empty stomach can make it worse? There is a modified release version which is kinder on the gut if the regular kind is intolerable. It would be up to your GP
I tried Metformin ER (or MR) but my bgl levels rose immediately. I tried altering the time I took it, but it was' squeeze the balloon; syndrome - lowers one reading, but the others pop up instesd Overall average stayed up, but dropped as soon as I went back to standard. Not sure if the MR changed my problem in any way, but I know these things were not as obvious as they are now that I am on LCHF. I can now clear a pub bar in a trice. Bit like the Hedgecutter bomb the US used in Afghanistan,

Amethyst579

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are the sulphur containing foods making their presence felt (eggs, cabbage etc)?

iHs

Hi

Often diet can be the cause as eating too much fibre is just as bad as not eating enough.
Sprouts are good for the heart but the more you eat, the more you ????

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Often diet can be the cause as eating too much fibre is just as bad as not eating enough.
Sprouts are good for the heart but the more you eat, the more you ????
Hi, Yes I think it is the sulphur content that is coming to the fore. I have definitely added these to a diet that was previously low in such foodstuffs. Also increased fibre and eating more nuts, So far no-one else has reported having this effect so is it just me? No remedies yet, either. Anyone tried charcoal biscuits? Are they still available?

iHs

Try eating an assortment of veg in smaller qty and only eat a small portion of meat and see if that helps. Also, try eating GF carb as wheat based products can cause problems that is not related to coeliac disease.

I think its possible to buy charcoal tablets from health food shops but dont know if they help or not

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try eating an assortment of veg in smaller qty and only eat a small portion of meat and see if that helps. Also, try eating GF carb as wheat based products can cause problems that is not related to coeliac disease.

I think its possible to buy charcoal tablets from health food shops but dont know if they help or not

What is GF carb?

Amethyst579

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes that's interesting. I've found cutting out wheat has meant I'm not passing nearly as much wind as I used to.

Reactions: 4 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Tried GF but difficult and expensive in my town. Also not impressed with the taste and texture of GF. However, a comment following your post suggests wheat may be to blame, which i think i rings the bell. I have changed to a seeded loaf that seems to be low GI andtherefore beneficial to my BGL struggle. I have noted that my gut does rumble a bit soon after eating it, which is probably a significant sign. unfortunately, this constitutes my breakfast which is part of my baseline (i.e. is one of the routine things I try not to change while monitoring my bgl).

Amethyst579

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't had an issue with flatulence. BUT my son has commented on my breath a couple of times since I started low carbing. He says it smells 'weird' !! Now I always carry sugar free mints around with me!

iHs

Tried GF but difficult and expensive in my town. Also not impressed with the taste and texture of GF. However, a comment following your post suggests wheat may be to blame, which i think i rings the bell. I have changed to a seeded loaf that seems to be low GI andtherefore beneficial to my BGL struggle. I have noted that my gut does rumble a bit soon after eating it, which is probably a significant sign. unfortunately, this constitutes my breakfast which is part of my baseline (i.e. is one of the routine things I try not to change while monitoring my bgl).

If you live near an Asda, a FreeFrom ready sliced GF loaf can be bought for £1.50 which is not bad.
My partner is coeliac and can't tolerate wheat or malt so uses crumbled up rice cakes with milk to make a breakfast cereal which tastes quite nice .

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't had an issue with flatulence. BUT my son has commented on my breath a couple of times since I started low carbing. He says it smells 'weird' !! Now I always carry sugar free mints around with me!

It is possible to get 'keto breath' from being vlc and being in ketosis.

But it can also be too much protein.
Are you eating protein 3 times a day? It is very easy to do that on lchf, and with me, it is just too much...

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
y
Update on my Jury Service. I discussed my problem with the Court Bailiff since I did not want to be held in contempt of court. I was not selected for service on Monday, but was held in standby. Today I got the telecon dismissing me completely from my Jury Service, I wonder if there is a connection??????

Reactions: 4 people

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take Metformin. I eat vlc, so I don't notice the side effects as much as I did when I first started low carb and was still eating carby, but lower carb foods. If I increase my carbs, I seem to notice the side effects a bit more.

The breath thing? Yeah, that lasted for a few weeks and then went away.

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you eating protein 3 times a day?
Yes I guess I do eat protein 3 times a day. Yog for brekky, lunch usually revolves around meat or fish or egg with salad, dinner meat or fish and veg, or salad with meat or cheese and I also snack on nuts. But that's not much different to how I used to eat before. The only difference being that there's now no potatoes, bread, pasta or rice etc.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Love this thread! My anti-social turbo tummy has calmed down a lot since I started LCMF but I always did eat a lot of veg so that was never going to be a problem. I think its doing away with the amount of wheat I used to eat thats helped. I used to eat wheat in one shape or another every day, sometimes two or three times a day.

The breath thing started (for me) the same time as I went through carb flu but it disappears after a while.