30, newly diagnosed Type2, not handling it well.

Devonbear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just been through what you've been through, although without the eating disorder (well, I ate much too much, but that's just because I liked food and had a sweet tooth - so I am much more to blame for my issues than you are for yours!)
My mother died at 63 with T2 (and other things) having lost both her legs. Getting diagnosed 3 months ago was terrifying for me. But if you can rigidly cut carbs out of your diet, you will be fine. Don't worry about the binge eating - just make sure that you binge-eat on LOW CARB food not the usual crisps/sweets/cakes that we used to turn to. I have had several large sessions at all-you-can-eat restaurants over the past three months. Piles of meat, but no noodles/rice/carbs. Meat's the good bit, anyway, right?! Despite that I lost 11 kg and my HbAc1 went from 59 to 34.
As to your question about nerve damage. I had similar symptoms to you. Warm patches, pins and needles sensations etc with my feet. I also had terrible cramps in my legs. I was never referred for any tests, but in my heart I know that it was the start of nerve damage. Well, let me tell you, 3 months on and the cramps are gone. Sensation is improved in my feet and although there is still a bit of warmness/scratchiness it is reduced by at least 50% and still improving.
Do what I did, and read through a few accounts of how people transformed their health just by switching to low carb, high fat eating. It honestly, truthfully works. And don't be put off by people who say it is bad for your heart etc. My cholesterol IMPROVED on a high fat diet, and I also got rid of the fatty liver condition I've had for 8 years.
You will not loose any limbs, or go blind. You will continue to enjoy life. You will continue to enjoy great food. You will continue to pig out like the hungry caterpillar from time to time. And you will be fine. Trust me. Just ditch those carbs.

Reactions: 6 people

farfromhomedk

i read what you wrote a couple of weeks ago, devonbear. it was a big part of calming me down. thank you for that. i have been feeling very good. i have been thinking about other things. been working.

funny thing is i did not expect this forum to actually affect me. it was a moment of desperation that i wrote my post. thank you all for helping.

things are not perfect though. today i got scared again after reading an article about a new study that finds men with diabetes die much earlier, but women dont. i do not want to die. i do not want to be affected by this in any way, but of course i am. i will eat healthy, but it is expensive as hell. i am so scared for my future. all the feelings of self blaming comes back. its so typical.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you think about what you have posted.
The worry and anxiety, along with other things depressing you about the condition. That is symptomatic of blood disorders including diabetes!
Dont beat yourself up, and once in control things will look and feel better.
You have realised that a low carb healthy diet is the way to go. And taken those first steps to improve your condition, if you have the resolve to carry on with the diet and only have a few slip ups, things will improve dramatically.
It is a long haul, things take time and don't worry too much if things don't go as smoothly, it's like riding a bike, you fall off and you get back on.
Keep up the good work!

Wilki.356

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey.
Hows it going? I know we all say it, but you gotta try concentrate on the 'now', not the what if's? Learn from the past, thats your history, look to the future and what your you'd want to achieve.
Stay focused, stay positive! Its the key to taking control of your of your diagnosis.
I mean from your first post, it sounds like you've made some fabulous changes, so well done. Everyday will be different and you'll face different challenges. You may take two steps forward and three steps back, its not a sprint to line, its a marathon. We all have a different diagnosis, struggles and battles, so never feel your on your own.
Were all here to help, support and share experiences.
Just tell yourself, your moving in the right direction. So keep up the good work!

Reactions: 2 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
things are not perfect though. today i got scared again after reading an article about a new study that finds men with diabetes die much earlier, but women dont. i do not want to die. i do not want to be affected by this in any way, but of course i am. i will eat healthy, but it is expensive as hell. i am so scared for my future. all the feelings of self blaming comes back. its so typical.

Most articles have some sort of sensational or new angle. Most of what needs to be said has already been said and now its just said with a different slant on things. In general, men die earlier than women anyway. Most diabetics die with the disease rather than from the disease. Stop reading those articles. The men I know with type 2 who have gotten into difficulties have taken the pills but have never taken the problem seriously. They've all relied on more pills, stronger pills etc. You have to do something for yuorself.

Eating healthily does not mean eating expensive foods. But, you have to learn what foods to eat, where to buy them, how to prepare them and how to cook them. Slow cookers and soup makers open up a whole new world of possibilities for making cheap ingredients taste magical.

Put your efforts into learning how to make great meals, healthy meals, without expense, rather than reading diabetic scare stories. You will feel better for taking some positive action and you will start to eat more healthily. You'll probably enjoy your food more too. Whenever I feel hungry, I start preparing a meal for later. That stops me snacking. For me, fish is a godsend and cheap fish is always available in tins.