What do i do next

chefdee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At the end of October I got a wake up call from my DN , though diagnosed a few years ago I didn't take Diabetes seriously for numerous stupid reasons, when she tested my sugar levels it was 21, she gave me a monitor and told me to test twice daily and adjusted the medication I was on so I now take 2 Metformin SR 500g and 1 Onglyza 5 mg, my first fasting blood test was 17...... nearly a month on with a huge diet change as in very low carbs most mornings my BS level is in the 8's or low 9's which is loads better, but how do I get it lower or will it take time to gradually come down, I am losing weight very slowly and I know slowly is best, though with cutting out all naughty carbs I thought I would have lost more, I have lost about 8lbs in the last month, any advice on how to reduce my levels more or should I be patient and wait

C

catherinecherub

Rome wasn't built in a day @chefdee.
You have done remarkable well in a short space of time and need congratulating.
Carry on as you are and the improvement will continue. Don't compare yourself with others as you, like the rest of us, are unique.;)

Reactions: 4 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Guess?;) No, seriously, it sounds like you are doing just fine. It can take a while to come down but the main thing is that what you are doing, IS working. I know you have cut the carbs, maybe give us an idea of what you eat in an average day, see if it can be tweaked a bit? I honestly wouldn't worry though, you're off to a flying start.

chefdee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you both I have gotten a little obsessed with my diet :) at breakfast I am having eggs boiled or scrambled with two slices of livlife low carb bread, my DN said don't deprive yourself if you want a slice of ordinary bread have it but I want 3 slices so best avoid it :) or two slices of livlife toast and Brussels Pate or just butter......lunch might be cheesey coleslaw wrapped in ham or homemade soup butternut and sweet potato or tomato and mascarpone , maybe split pea and onion or cauliflower cheese , you get the idea.....dinner is mostly meat and veggies, meatballs or meatloaf or chicken cacciatore ( which makes a yummy soup for the next day ) a roast dinner with no pots or yorkshires but a little gravy.. I do get hungry in the evening I try not to eat anything but sometimes will have some nuts or peanut butter on a slice of livlife bread, so I don't think I'm going to far wrong, I did have a weekend away and succumbed to a bacon roll but that's a one off but oh it was good :)

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Sounds good, how about a few nuts to snack on, macadamia, walnuts or almonds are good. Even a bag of pork scratchings if you like thm.

chefdee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear Lord somebody suggested Pork Scratchings when I enquired about what folks snack on, so I tried some :yuck: haha

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I'm addicted to them :)

Reactions: 2 people

V12Staffie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same story Chefdee mine hit 25+ last Saturday after years of denial and terrible attitude of live fast die young have a good looking corpse sad and nasty I know! BBC programme gave me a wake up call and blood sugars now below 10, lost 11 pounds in weight, back on meds and drastic diet change. This is all in a week had blood tests Friday so find out the results next week
Breakfast is bran flakes and almond milk
Lunch is slices of cold meat turkey or chicken, olives, tomatoes and walnuts
Dinner meat, veg and sweet potato
Snacks olives and nuts and blueberries etc
Back on plain Metformin had chronic diarrhoea now switched to slow release Metformin and waiting for things to settle down.
Admire your resolve in the evening to not snack. That is my danger zone 730 to 930 nuts and blueberries doing the trick at mom

drakman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
racism, bigotry and fashion
I know it sounds wrong but I snack on fruit any fresh fruit will do, it is far better for you than anything else and sweet enough to beat sugar cravings, I have lost nearly 1 1/2st since August, and got my blood sugars down to 42 from 68, I am on insulin now but it has been a gradual progression through Gliclazide and Metformin, I still take them but at lower doses, I know fruit is often quite high in sugar but it is not as bad,
I did find out that fruit juices and smoothies are really really BAD because the fibre is broken down and it ALL becomes a sugar solution so it is absorbed even faster,
Pork scratchings are nice but they are really high in salt and if you are on any drug for hypertension you should minimise consumption for the sake of your heart

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @chefdee and @drakman Sounds like you are both heading in the right direction.

As for Pork Scratchings, if you value your teeth/fillings I'd steer well away :D Wish they were a bit softer. You get the odd one or two in a bag that are more like Quavers consistency but mostly they are just lumps of rock :(

V12Staffie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers Drakman
Pork scratchings not my thing and will avoid smoothies. This all needs to be sustainable for me as I get myself on track and have done many times but get complacent and by stealth it bites me. When you say blood sugars 68 down to 42 what do you mean? I am taking daily tests and they are about 10 now from 25+ last week? Am I comparing the same or?

Star47

At the end of October I got a wake up call from my DN , though diagnosed a few years ago I didn't take Diabetes seriously for numerous stupid reasons, when she tested my sugar levels it was 21, she gave me a monitor and told me to test twice daily and adjusted the medication I was on so I now take 2 Metformin SR 500g and 1 Onglyza 5 mg, my first fasting blood test was 17...... nearly a month on with a huge diet change as in very low carbs most mornings my BS level is in the 8's or low 9's which is loads better, but how do I get it lower or will it take time to gradually come down, I am losing weight very slowly and I know slowly is best, though with cutting out all naughty carbs I thought I would have lost more, I have lost about 8lbs in the last month, any advice on how to reduce my levels more or should I be patient and wait
Have you tried juicing in place of some meals? Cheese not good, high in fat.

Apple tree

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there all where do you get this livlife low carb bread do any super markets sell it and is this the best for you at the moment I'm using the little loaf of war burtons seeded changed from wholemeal has thought seeded was better,can anyone advise me please xx

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Apple tree do you use a moniter to test your reaction to bread? Not sure about the LivBread (possibly Morrisons) but I have the Hovis Seeded bread which is 13g per slice but they are quite thick so oone slice will do me particularly when I make a sandwich and really cram in the filling however I know that this bread does not cause my BS to rise too much! Another good standby is Lidl's high protein rolls when usually half of one is enough.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weightwatchers Danish is only 9 carbs a slice but it's very small (think Nimble) but at least it tastes like real bread. I found it in Tesco once but they don't always have it.

Suzy15

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who seem to find it impossible to be nice to others
Hi I have been using Lidl low gi seeded fresh bread. Haven't seen it mentioned much on here. Does anyone else use it?

Tom Green

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
In my opinion you need to adjust your meds. My diabetic nurses do not believe in depriving me of foods. In fact the first question was what foods to you avoid? It was a trick question of course. They all say to use medications to fight diabetes which is what I do now. I get blood tests every 3 months and my sugars are great plus I enjoy my meals. People seem to resist medication and especially insulin.

flossymartin05

Hi the livlife bread used to be from waitrose but I think they've stopped doing it now .I buy it in bulk from. Ocado online. I buy about 6/8loaves at a time .It is quite dense and thin but it doesn't spike my sugars much.I think amazon sell it too or they used too. For me this is the o n my bread that doesn't cause my sugars to rise dramatically.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App