This year's flu injection

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Total agreement.

The reason diabetics are at higher risk from flu than non- diabetics is simply because their increased bg levels suppresses their immune system.

Provided we are able to maintain normal or near-normal bg levels, there is no need to inject such a questionable product.

The article below shows that last year's jab only benefited 3% of those injected, because the manufacturers chose to produce a product that protected against the wrong flu strain.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...versal-protection-against-virus-10469703.html

Agreed that the jab may well not be particularly effective and also agree that it is find to have irregular it depending on preference.

However, it's not just about being more suscetible to flu (I'm pretty sure I'm not, for example - as you say, I'm fairly well controlled and, tbh, am just not the kind of person that catches things generally). It's also about the effect that flu would have if you did happen to catch it - for most people, they'd be ill and miserable for a week or two and then get better, but for someone with diabetes, no matter how well controlled, the virus would be likely to play merry hell with their blood sugars, which could well lead to more serious problems/hospitalisation etc.

Similar deal for other "free flu jab" people - the elderly, the young, asthmatics etc - it's the complications that they are worried about.

Reactions: 4 people

Brian79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've not had the flu jab in about 4-5 years as the last time I got it I was ill for 3 weeks then I got fibromyalgia, do some research the amount of mercury in it is 25 times more than is allowed in drinking water and the amount allowed in the body is zero

Chriskay7369

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, has anyone had any adverse reaction to this year's flu jab? I ask because since having mine nearly three weeks ago I have had severe shoulder and arm pain and have now developed what I can only describe as prickly pins and needles in my chest and right breast. Thanks Coco :grumpy:
I had mine about two months ago. I have only.just shrugged off what can only be explained as "flu-like symptoms" and for the first two weeks I had really bad pain in my upper arm and shoulder with pins and needles. I went to my GP and she said it was a combination of the fact that I probably had some cold symptoms at the time and my fibromyalgia.

Star47

I've not had the flu jab in about 4-5 years as the last time I got it I was ill for 3 weeks then I got fibromyalgia, do some research the amount of mercury in it is 25 times more than is allowed in drinking water and the amount allowed in the body is zero
When I checked the ingredients list on this years vacine there was no mercury in it, I researched each ingredient, as I would want to avoid mercury or any other nasties. That is still not to say though I like the thought of having it, it is my son who has the diabetes so I always check the ingredients, and he has only had 2 injections in his 7 years of having type 1, his choice.

Dark Horse

Hi everyone, has anyone had any adverse reaction to this year's flu jab? I ask because since having mine nearly three weeks ago I have had severe shoulder and arm pain and have now developed what I can only describe as prickly pins and needles in my chest and right breast. Thanks Coco :grumpy:
It doesn't sound like it would be related to the vaccine. It sounds more likely to be a structural problem such as pinched nerves in the neck. There is some advice here file:///C:/Users/Family/Downloads/2024-Neck-pain-inc-exercises.pdf but I would see the GP in the next few days if maintaining good posture and gentle mobility exercises don't improve it. If you get severe pins and needles or numbness, see the GP straight away.

Dark Horse

Total agreement.

The reason diabetics are at higher risk from flu than non- diabetics is simply because their increased bg levels suppresses their immune system.

Provided we are able to maintain normal or near-normal bg levels, there is no need to inject such a questionable product.

The article below shows that last year's jab only benefited 3% of those injected, because the manufacturers chose to produce a product that protected against the wrong flu strain.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...versal-protection-against-virus-10469703.html
Slightly poor reporting from the Independent - the 3% applied only to the main strain of flu circulating, not all flu strains so the overall benefit was higher. As the flu virus mutates so quickly, it's always difficult for scientists to predict what strains to vaccinate against. Usually they make a good guess but if there's a new mutation after the vaccine has been developed there's nothing they can do. It still provided worthwhile protection.

There's an excellent article which explains it and comments on the poor reporting here:- http://www.nhs.uk/news/2015/02February/Pages/Flu-jab-is-not-a-waste-of-time.aspx

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Slightly poor reporting from the Independent - the 3% applied only to the main strain of flu circulating, not all flu strains so the overall benefit was higher. As the flu virus mutates so quickly, it's always difficult for scientists to predict what strains to vaccinate against. Usually they make a good guess but if there's a new mutation after the vaccine has been developed there's nothing they can do. It still provided worthwhile protection.

There's an excellent article which explains it and comments on the poor reporting here:- http://www.nhs.uk/news/2015/02February/Pages/Flu-jab-is-not-a-waste-of-time.aspx

I have had flu (real flu) twice in my 48 year long life.

So i think exposing myself annually, to something with such long odds of being of benefit to me is a waste of my time and a waste of NHS money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Lindyloo

Yes I had my flu jab and four days later got flu which wiped me out for two weeks. Never had a problem with the jab before.

bilb_baggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
had mine in October felt unwell for 3 or 4 days but that was all I always feel like that after my flu jab

KathrynB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had mine a month ago. Sore arm but not bad, but the day after I felt a bit fluey. This disappeared and about 3 days later I started feeling like I was fighting off a bug. I'm still tired and have a lot of catarrh and feel generally a bit miserable- most unlike me. I feel just like I'm getting over flu. The strange thing is that I had the pneumococcus vaccine in June and felt yuk for a month after that too.

Leighwhiting

Hi,
I had my jab last Monday and today is the first day I have been able to get up. 4 hours after having the jab I had a terrible headache and felt very hot. Went to bed and was feverish, body ached etc. 2 days later vomited a lot and had diahriar . The bad head and dizzyness is mild today but, 6 days later I still have a bad stomach. Have only been eating the last two days, soups, but it has gone straight through me. The first time I have ever been ill after a jab.

DeepSoft

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Yes I had it before 3 weeks, I am also experiencing the body pains and stomach pains since then...... Whenever I told the same thing to doctor, he says it can not prevent you from all viral infections , you must have caught some viral infection.

Brian79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I honestly don't know why people still get the flu jag do your research on it and it will open your eyes to why you should stay well clear

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I honestly don't know why people still get the flu jag do your research on it and it will open your eyes to why you should stay well clear

Because for some of us, getting flu can be life threatening. It isn't always a straightforward choice and it can come down to the lesser of two evils, which is why I had it done.

Reactions: 2 people

Brian79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Everybody is entitled to their opinion and the flu jag=evil to me I'll take my chances,the flu jag it's self can kill you and what protection does it give you I'm sure it's 3% not much in the grand scheme of things

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, I was responding to your comment that you didn't know why people still got the flu jag done. Maybe it does offer little protection but it's still something. Like I said, if flu is something that can endanger life, then it's not worth the risk.

Fuggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had mine about two months ago. I have only.just shrugged off what can only be explained as "flu-like symptoms" and for the first two weeks I had really bad pain in my upper arm and shoulder with pins and needles. I went to my GP and she said it was a combination of the fact that I probably had some cold symptoms at the time and my fibromyalgia.
What a dumb answer from the Dr....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Daily Mail today has probably put more people off having flu jabs!!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When I saw my GP a couple of weeks ago she asked if I wanted the flu jab. I told her I have a phobia about injections and asked if I could have the nasal spray that kids are given, but she said that was only available for children.