Diabetes Burnout.

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Blood Tests Injections MRI Scans (particuarly) cooked white cabbage and Cornish Pasties
Just stumbled across this thread... this is what I am going through right now. I have worked so hard, tried so much and had so many things go wrong not due to me I am just done with it all. I have a great team behind me now who encourage me to keep going but even they aren't helping me though this funk. These people are unrelated to my doctors who are just a bundle of bad news and negativity....

I am inspired to start over, thanks so much for such a positive message, the impact you have on peoples live says a lot about your own I feel, yours is going to come back in Karma and hug the life out of you!

I will never be well as I used to be, but I can be better.... off I go, going to make something yummy and nutritious instead of junk food today. Baby steps....
Your very welcome people have always said to me the T2 is a nightmare condition my answer is always yes it will course you no end of probs if you don't adhere to the advice your gp gives you and your diabetic nurse gives you on your first visit you will be beset will problems but if you listen and don't be afraid to ask questions even if they might seem trivial trust I asked silly questions even now you will feel much better in yourself and that can only help your diabetes I do believe that the calmer you can stay once you've got your head round it the better you'll feel and the calmer the loved ones and your closest friends will get their round it and they'll help you rather than be anxious around you and always remember at this festive time you can eat what others eat just not so much as them good luck and a very merry Xmas and a less stressed 2016

Reactions: 3 people

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was prescribed statins last week, there's too much bad publicity for there not to be some truth in it. My cholesterol is 5.2, history of bad hearts in both sides of my family, so confused and worried. I've lost 2 stone on hflc.

Reactions: 2 people

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Blood Tests Injections MRI Scans (particuarly) cooked white cabbage and Cornish Pasties
I'm on a hatful of drugs daily I've been on Simvastatin for the last six yrs or so my cholesterol was 7.2 when I started it varies between 3.6 to 4.2 I have mine tested four times a year due to the amount of medication I take everyday I have never had any problems with any side effects from Simvastatin the best person to advise you is your gp also have a talk to your diabetic nurse best of luck

MellitusTrap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a traumatic life changing incident this year and as I found my world collapsing around me, taking my pills on time (if at all), became increasingly difficult as each duvet day blurred into the next.

It didn't take so long until I was hospitalised (with a sugar reading of 33mmol/L) - if you haven't already gasped, I'll explain that means my blood had turned into syrup.

That was months ago and my sugars are still wildly out of control. I have a good GP, who is changing meds for me and being supportive. He just doesn't have time and resources that a patient needs and as a partner GP, I can't help wondering how often cost is a factor in his decision making process.

All that said, I have renewed vigour. To the gym!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I do have one tip for dealing with burnout and finding all your toys are on the floor.

Pick up one small thing and start doing it consistently.

I burned out from trying to do too much.

I am feeling that way now, trying to keep my levels under control and dealing with my poor elderly dad and his future.

Take care

MellitusTrap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am feeling that way now, trying to keep my levels under control and dealing with my poor elderly dad and his future.

Take care
I feel for you.
Do one thing just for you a week.
It gives you a good marker for how time passing too.
Do it regularly. Don't wuss out.
And don't over commit yourself.

You'll be amazed at how soon you'll find yourself confidently in control again.

Best wishes

Reactions: 4 people

Millymay2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I tried very hard over Christmas to eat as normal as possible but my BS was 15 and 20 why I have no idea .Does stress
affect BS readings as I have plenty of that at the moment.! Hope everyone feel better soon HAPPY NEW YEAR
O

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's so easy to get tempted by all the goodies around I take the attitude that I'll have a few of the indulgienicies and then take my Metformin then a couple of hours later I'll take my blood my & then decide whether I not I was right or wrong then if the latter I won't do it again HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU TOO

Last edited by a moderator:

Oslo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, Bigots, Meat
Thanks Robinredbreast, the link is particularly good and has got me thinking of breaking things down into mangabey chunks rather than feeling constantly overwhelmed.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Definitely having a diabetes burnout day (a day at least!). Feeling overwhelmed by the fact that this self-management business is 'for the duration' (and I am hoping that will be about 30 years hence - if I - you know - self manage all the bloomin' time!) (argh!)

I like the sunset thing - "You are not a maths problem! See yourself as a sunset – not something to be solved, but appreciated –your achievements, attempts at change, dreams and goals – sit back and appreciate them from time to time and remember there is more to life than diabetes." Very nice indeed. I need that right now.

Instead of screaming and crying, which is what I want to do, I will go on a long walk, and a swim, and sit in some bubbles (which always makes me feel better - the bubbles part). Mr Svea will come with me.

I like that love is, hopefully, life-long. But I don't like that diabetes is!

(off to sit in bubbley water...)

Reactions: pcs63
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I feel for you.
Do one thing just for you a week.
It gives you a good marker for how time passing too.
Do it regularly. Don't wuss out.
And don't over commit yourself.

You'll be amazed at how soon you'll find yourself confidently in control again.

Best wishes

Thank you for your encouraging words, problem is, I am one person doing a massive amount, I don't drive so have to get on and off buses to different places all the time,left a carrier bag yesterday with my new organizer, a present from my teen and paperwork in it, I will get it, hopefully today, many hypo's too which I am trying so hard not to have, this is my 27th year of diabetes and I had a really bad time a few months ago as I was in a very, very dark place, I don't want to go there again and I blamed diabetes for it, so sick of it all. So much to do regarding my elderly dad, his house, finances and I am having to pay out for things, a skip on Friday, £240, then the council to take away electrical goods and I will have to go for a court deputy guardianship, which will cost about 1 and half thousand pounds, plus VAT and £400 has to be paid up front to the court, which I will have to pay, but will get it reimbursed in about 6 months time and when it goes through and my dad will have pay the rest to the solicitor.
I am trying to be positive and I know that this will not last for ever, but I am exhausted, physically and mentally, it is so hard. My grown up son is helping on Friday to clear out the bigger items into the skip and we both visit my dad in the new care home, plus my teenager too at the weekend.
Stress and worry can mess up my BS so much and I don't want anymore auto immune conditions. I was so looking forward to 2016, for a fresh positive start ...................
Take care everyone, best wishes RRB x

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
RRB .... things will improve. For all the care you take with others, you deserve a HUGE break. You better get one otherwise they'll have me to answer to. :)

Wishing you every good fortune :) Solicit some help if you can :)

Mike

Reactions: 6 people

Millymay2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry you are having a hard time . My husband has been diagnosed with prostate cancer and he might have bowel as well ! The stress has caused my diabetes to go crazy I try not to let him know what my reading are as he gets ansious and that doesn't help him .For the past year it's been hospital appointments and doctors I hope 2016 is better for us all .

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Hi I have been diabetic since I was 12 I am now 25 and I have struggled every day at the age of 19 I was diagnosed a with diabetic neuropathy at that point that I was told I would spend the rest of my life In a wheelchair but thankfully I don't I do however suffered with a lot of pain I've been told today that my liver function is not very good due to my diabetes and I may have fatty liver which is where the liver stores some sugar witch turns to fat due to the affects of my sugar levels at the moment I am constantly running hi I'm testing every two hours day and night I constantly feel unwell this is not just effecting me but my family to and is also affect my future I struggle struggle struggle I can't seem to get it right I can seem to help other people I am great at helping others with the diabetes maintaining control monitoring it and given advice I just can't seem to do it for myself
sorry to hear of this. I am type 1 and have been for over 50 years. I was diagnosed at 13yrs old. Back then there were no such thing as blood tests. I think we all at times go through bad patches ( I am haveing one now ) I wish you well and hope you come out of it soon. One thing that might make you feel better in yourself and your control is try to get on a DAFNE course. Not only will it teach you a lot but you get to meet other type 1's

sickofit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you neverforever, I am so pleased the information has been helpful, have you been to see your DSN or GP, as I think a lot of members have struggled sometime in their life.
Dizzy and Dory are part of the forum now :)
I hope you can get back on track again. Take care and wishing you all the best RRB :)
really good to read as i am also in burn out! also do not feel like the so called care team are at all helpful!!

linnyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
People who are cruel to people or animals.
Diabetes burnout & connection to mental health really struck a chord, making me think maybe there has been an element of this mixed in with my mental health problems. I was so obsessive about my bm's throughout pregnancy, then encountered masses of stress. Have to say I have done a course on mindfulness, it isn't always easy to use but it can have a very positive result. There are mindfulness exercises online, give them a go, they will help you to see how rarely we are really living in the moment.:)

Reactions: pcs63

julieemma

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
I got bipolar and I think I'm getting confused what to eat and what not finding it difficult at the moment done mindfulness with psychologist and still stuck

linnyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
People who are cruel to people or animals.
I got bipolar and I think I'm getting confused what to eat and what not finding it difficult at the moment done mindfulness with psychologist and still stuck
Don't get me wrong mindfulness is difficult & isn't the miracle cure that psychologists make it out to be. I also admit that mentally you have to be in a place to use it. In a lot of ways it is a unnatural way of living & nobody can be mindful all of the time, it is impossible. But when you can use it, it does help, honest! I struggle with it all the time & it has been preached at me as I have a borderline diagnosis. When you can't use it to help deal with day to day life, try and do one practice a day. I have found my most useful one to be breathing mindfully, but I also know I have friends who prefer practical mindfulness eg colouring, doing your nails. Hang on in there, as there will be a point at which you can mentally use it as an aid to help & don't think your failing when you can't do it, it is a budhist practice that is taught from a very young age & even budhist adults struggle with it. Sending hug. Am here for support & encouragement, we all need that:cat:

keep_going

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have been diabetic since I was 12 I am now 25 and I have struggled every day at the age of 19 I was diagnosed a with diabetic neuropathy at that point that I was told I would spend the rest of my life In a wheelchair but thankfully I don't I do however suffered with a lot of pain I've been told today that my liver function is not very good due to my diabetes and I may have fatty liver which is where the liver stores some sugar witch turns to fat due to the affects of my sugar levels at the moment I am constantly running hi I'm testing every two hours day and night I constantly feel unwell this is not just effecting me but my family to and is also affect my future I struggle struggle struggle I can't seem to get it right I can seem to help other people I am great at helping others with the diabetes maintaining control monitoring it and given advice I just can't seem to do it for myself
oh, that really sucks! it can be really depressing, and just horrible to feel unwell day in day out xx do you have support from your diabetes clinic/consultant?