talking about diabetes at work

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I honestly think its better people know if you have any illness just so they are aware of anything that may happen to yourself or others around you, but i guess its what ever suits the person

Indeed. If I'm in a risky work environment? I make no bones.. If I was to get stretchered off the pitch unconciuos? (Non diabetes related.) Someone needs to let em know. My experience on the whole when mentioning it has been positive. But there is always one fool..

We're all just trying to do a job without descrimination at the end of the day.... ;):D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not something I am a fan of to be honest. I have experienced too much nonsense over the years with people's ignorance and what I have found is rather than ask me about the condition people like to tell me about the condition. The usual "You're not allowed to eat that" etc. I find it too tiring to be bothered with so I only tell those that I have to such as my direct line managers etc. Although interestingly my current manager tends to make jokes when the birthday cakes come out such as "We don't want to send Mr Canary into a diabetic coma do we". Which means she is making comments about my confidential medical history in front of the whole department...which is not really something I think should happen. But it's exactly these sort of things that have tired me out from trying to explain to people, if they want to come and ask sensible questions then I am fine talking about it. If you want to tell me how I should be dealing with my condition when I have over 3 decades of experience and you have none then we are not going to get very far.

Reactions: 5 people

Mad puppy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes is what we are its not who we are. I don't really care what others think I know who I am and the people that matter know who I am, as for the others accept me or don't, just don't judge me cos in diabetic as I have many other traits you can judge me on. I'm not loosing any sleep over it

Reactions: 2 people

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am lucky in that I am a nurse and if I chose to tell people they would have some understanding. However, I have chose to only tell my boss and close co workers. I don't want people to know as its none of their business. Having to explain it bores me, I don't know what type I am - may find out tomorrow! I do finally get what patients mean when they say they don't want people's pity. I just want to be the me I was before I was a diabetic!

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed just over two half years ago and so a lot of people knew about it as I was off work in hospital. I'm very open about it and don't mind talking to others about it.
I work on a relatively big site of about 800 people and someone I don't know had a bit of a hypo queuing for the restaurant last week and a colleague of mine rushed to me to get my glucose tablets which she know I always have to hand so it does have its benefits.

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the most wonderful dog.

His name is Charlie, he is a 10 year old West Highland White Terrier. He doesn’t know what diabetes is but, he knows what an injection feels like (because he has his vaccination every year). Every day, when I have to inject my insulin, he comes close to me, sits in front of me without making a sound, sometimes I think he doesn’t even breathe, and stares at me when I do my injection. After I finish injecting, he approaches me, looks at me and waits for a cuddle.

He does this every day and every night, every time that I am at home and I inject.
He has never missed one injection.

Charlie knows about my diabetes. Although he doesn’t know what it is, he respects how it must feel like.
But, not all people are like Charlie. So, not all people deserve to know.
Some people, like my parents, or my partner whom I trust, know about my condition.
Also, a very close friend knows as well.

However, I have not discussed my condition with my colleagues or other random friends.
The reason I do this, is not because I am embarrassed about my diabetes; on the contrary, I am very proud of myself for coping with it. I am almost learning to love it because it is part of who I am.

The reason that I do not discuss my diabetes is because not all people around me are loving, caring, comforting human beings who will show understanding or compassion or even, some form of respect.

There are people out there, and I happen to work with some of them, who enjoy making other people’s life difficult. They take pleasure out of degrading people, making them feel inferior, insufficient or “damaged”.

And, unfortunately, I cannot choose to collaborate only with the people that I like.

So, for me, there are two ways of handling the issue.
Either, to speak openly about my diabetes and have to constantly confront (open or hidden under a smile) insulting comments (which may come either due to genuine ignorance or from deliberate meanness.) The problem with this approach is that, although some days I feel confident and strong to tackle every ugly remark, there are some other days that I feel tired or weak (and I don’t want to have to leave my desk in order to run to the lavatory to cry… and I certainly don’t want to allow to others to make me hate myself for having diabetes.)

Or, I can just share the important and private things in my life only with the ones I trust… after all, it is not so bad to keep private things…well, private… not everyone needs to know everything…

A health condition of whatever nature is a very private thing. You can choose to be open about it or not. There is no wrong or right about it. I have, personally, realized that my life is easier when some people just do not know…

Sugary hugs to all
Josephine

Reactions: 7 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I have the most wonderful dog.

His name is Charlie, he is a 10 year old West Highland White Terrier. He doesn’t know what diabetes is but, he knows what an injection feels like (because he has his vaccination every year). Every day, when I have to inject my insulin, he comes close to me, sits in front of me without making a sound, sometimes I think he doesn’t even breathe, and stares at me when I do my injection. After I finish injecting, he approaches me, looks at me and waits for a cuddle.

He does this every day and every night, every time that I am at home and I inject.
He has never missed one injection.

Charlie knows about my diabetes. Although he doesn’t know what it is, he respects how it must feel like.
But, not all people are like Charlie. So, not all people deserve to know.
Some people, like my parents, or my partner whom I trust, know about my condition.
Also, a very close friend knows as well.

However, I have not discussed my condition with my colleagues or other random friends.
The reason I do this, is not because I am embarrassed about my diabetes; on the contrary, I am very proud of myself for coping with it. I am almost learning to love it because it is part of who I am.

The reason that I do not discuss my diabetes is because not all people around me are loving, caring, comforting human beings who will show understanding or compassion or even, some form of respect.

There are people out there, and I happen to work with some of them, who enjoy making other people’s life difficult. They take pleasure out of degrading people, making them feel inferior, insufficient or “damaged”.

And, unfortunately, I cannot choose to collaborate only with the people that I like.

So, for me, there are two ways of handling the issue.
Either, to speak openly about my diabetes and have to constantly confront (open or hidden under a smile) insulting comments (which may come either due to genuine ignorance or from deliberate meanness.) The problem with this approach is that, although some days I feel confident and strong to tackle every ugly remark, there are some other days that I feel tired or weak (and I don’t want to have to leave my desk in order to run to the lavatory to cry… and I certainly don’t want to allow to others to make me hate myself for having diabetes.)

Or, I can just share the important and private things in my life only with the ones I trust… after all, it is not so bad to keep private things…well, private… not everyone needs to know everything…

A health condition or whatever nature is a very private thing. You can choose to be open about it or not. There is no wrong or right about it. I have, personally, realized that my life is easier when some people just do not know…

Sugary hugs to all
Josephine
Wisdom indeed josephine nicely put,respect to you and big ((((cuddle))))) for charlie

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

I'm sorry to hear that Josephine. These are my favourite types of people to interact with. It's always pleasant to confront and shame them. They don't like being shamed, and it's very easy to do. Especially when this is in front of others.

People like this are usually bullies because they themselves have insecurities. And that's what they are. Bullies. This has no place in the workplace.

For me, the simplest put down is simply, "There's no need to bully me about something because you are ashamed of your own insecurities". People shut up surprisingly quickly. Doesn't need a smile. Simply the use of the word "bully" is enough. It carries enough weight and immediately puts people in their place. It also says to them "I see you for what you are".

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry to hear that Josephine. These are my favourite types of people to interact with. It's always pleasant to confront and shame them. They don't like being shamed, and it's very easy to do. Especially when this is in front of others.

People like this are usually bullies because they themselves have insecurities. And that's what they are. Bullies. This has no place in the workplace.

For me, the simplest put down is simply, "There's no need to bully me about something because you are ashamed of your own insecurities". People shut up surprisingly quickly. Doesn't need a smile. Simply the use of the word "bully" is enough. It carries enough weight and immediately puts people in their place. It also says to them "I see you for what you are".

Tim, I so like you approach. I read all your comments and posts and I admire how confident and strong you are regarding our condition. I hope that I will be like you one day!
Thank you for the advice. Indeed, you are ever so right. These people use our condition to project their complex syndromes on us, just like all bullies do.

Jon Lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been very open at work but have had no problems. I work in a prison so it can be a difficult environment. As a uniformed grade I have to be very aware when I am not up to scratch as it could put others in danger.
Since my diagnosis I have found that I have at least one colleague who is type 1 and quite a few who are type 2 (as am I). Part of this may be that it is a very stressful environment, being a prison officer is one of the most stressful jobs around.

RhiRhi

Only my managers at work know about my diabetes. I haven't told anybody else because it's none of their business. Everybody's different though, ☺

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Tim, I so like you approach. I read all your comments and posts and I admire how confident and strong you are regarding our condition. I hope that I will be like you one day!
Thank you for the advice. Indeed, you are ever so right. These people use our condition to project their complex syndromes on us, just like all bullies do.
Thank you Josephine. I am lucky in that I was diagnosed early enough to live with it most of my life, but old enough to look after it myself. My parents were incredibly supportive and made sure that I understood there was nothing that I couldn't try and do. Having D wasn't an inhibitor. Give it a go was the attitude. I think I was lucky in that my school took the same attitude. As a result, I got on with teenage life with it there, but with life being the focus, and not diabetes. I carried that through all the way really. The diabetes wasn't ever the focus - it's just something that needs to be introduced to people, a bit like an old, and slightly ropey, friend. Even as a kid I wasn't shy and retiring and that just continued with the rest of my life.

There's no point in sitting back, being a victim and not standing up to things in my view, so I don't do that and am happy to meet head on with what gets in the way. It's not always the most effective method, but as a last recourse, I am not afraid of it!

Cathn61may

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who think they know it all
There is no need to feel embarrassed. When I was in my teens and early 20's I was to embarrassed to tell anyone I was a Diabetic and had to have insulin injections. Now I am 54 and had Type 1 for 48 years. I am not at all embarrassed, no one know I am a Diabetic until I mention that I am. As you get older you will realise you don't need to be embarrassed. Why do you feel embarrassed you can't help having Type 1 Diabetes. As time progresses you will think a bit more differently.

u769325

I have always talked about it. In meetings running a blood sugar check if you are feeling a little funny can be helpful.
I now dictate lunch time so we get lunch rather than work straight through.
It works and I ask a colleges just to watch me. I had a hypo and collapsed about a year ago. My college got me sorted and I was ok within an hour and on the way home.
My employer sacked me on the spot. But I found a new job in days and have never been better.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's awful that some people feel they need to 'hide' this. It's awful that some people know it will be used against them.
A person once told me that I had to let everyone know so if I went low they would know to rub sugar gel on my gums.
I told them I wasn't bothered who knew but if anyone tried to put their f@@@@ng fingers in my mouth they'd lose those fingers.
I test in front of people in work for 'maintenance' to see what will be required next. I don't test because I feel low or high.
People are used to it. If anyone wants to be funny they'll get a mouthful. If they ask questions from wanting to know I'll happily answer them.
I was diagnosed as a 20 yr old. The only person who has ever been responsible for my diabetes is me. Still is and always will be. I can't expect other people to watch out for me going low as it is unfair on them. It's not their responsibility it's mine. So, I have fingers that you could strike matches on but I'm safe and independent.
Sorry if this comes across as grumpy. I've just had a hot flush from hell sitting on the couch. Apparently us type 1 women get the menopause early. I'm 45 - does anyone know who I can phone to complain about this please? Strangely in work this is a topic that people will only whisper about but will quite happily shout should you be eating that from the other side of the room.

Reactions: 4 people
S

Shar67

I told everyone at work and have no problem telling random people either, people who are curious or down right ignorant about diabetes get a quick educational talk.

I read on this site about somebody getting thrown out of a McDonalds because a customer told staff they had seen them inject drugs, I would have taken out my insulin pen and asked if they seriously thought junkies have preloaded drugs, BG monitor, new needles and swabs then told them they were in fact breaking the law

Diabetes isn't a STD to be whispered about, it is only a part of your body doesn't work either very well or not at all. We need to get out of the toilets, back rooms and hide holes and say this is my normal, I have to deal with keeping myself well and alive, with all my limbs intact. I may need your help so listen how this affects me and what you should do if I cannot deal with it myself.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I told everyone about my diabetes when i was diagnosed. Why would anyone feel embarrased about hsving diabetes :/
Because East Asian cultures are more commonly offended when you refuse any sort of gift, and that includes offers of food and drink. Of course, it's not as bad as an insult, but it's still there in the back of their minds whenever someone turns down an offer. Imagine if you bought someone a present and you spent a lot of time thinking about what present to buy them, and when you give them it, they say "sorry no, but thanks anyway!". It's a bit like this feeling, but for absolutely every single little offer!

I lived in Vietnam for 3 years and it was like this for me; I ended up hurting a lot of people's feelings without realising, just because I said "Sorry, I can't!".

hollyslot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's awful that some people feel they need to 'hide' this. It's awful that some people know it will be used against them.
A person once told me that I had to let everyone know so if I went low they would know to rub sugar gel on my gums.
I told them I wasn't bothered who knew but if anyone tried to put their f@@@@ng fingers in my mouth they'd lose those fingers.
I test in front of people in work for 'maintenance' to see what will be required next. I don't test because I feel low or high.
People are used to it. If anyone wants to be funny they'll get a mouthful. If they ask questions from wanting to know I'll happily answer them.
I was diagnosed as a 20 yr old. The only person who has ever been responsible for my diabetes is me. Still is and always will be. I can't expect other people to watch out for me going low as it is unfair on them. It's not their responsibility it's mine. So, I have fingers that you could strike matches on but I'm safe and independent.
Sorry if this comes across as grumpy. I've just had a hot flush from hell sitting on the couch. Apparently us type 1 women get the menopause early. I'm 45 - does anyone know who I can phone to complain about this please? Strangely in work this is a topic that people will only whisper about but will quite happily shout should you be eating that from the other side of the room.
i think i am scared of talking openly about it (and never having a full on chat about it with an employer) is because i feel like they may think of me as a liabililty, and if im already sometimes not great at my job, i don't want them to think this is another problem they have to think about with me. does that make sense? if i do have a hypo of course i eat something or drink juice but thats easy because i work in a cafe. i'm a little paranoid of my boss seeing this!

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi hollyslot I used to work in a canteen and know how mad busy it can be. Best form of attack is defence. Test when you can for what I call maintenance. It then allows you to head off any lows.
I understand what you mean by liability. I've spent the last 25 years trying to prove the exact opposite.
You are entitled to normal blood sugars. 30s to test or 20 minutes getting over a low in front of other people- I know what I'd choose and what an employer would.
When nondiabetics realise that a quick test Without them fussing is all it takes then I'm sure they'd prefer that.
But we won't get anywhere if people don't talk about it. I don't mean flaunt it either.
If we keep hypoing because of embarrassment of testing when needed we've actually made ourselves a liability.
It's a **** way of life but it's the only one I've got and I'll take it ta very much.

Reactions: Dodo