Pump newbie pressing question

ono

Hi,
I am due to get a start session with my insulin pump next week (yay!).
The nurse at the hospital has given me a letter for the GP to get the necessary supplies on prescription, ready for the session.
The list includes insulin cart, strips, ketosticks and lancets, but no infusion sets.

It seems odd to me, is there a genuine reason why these wouldn't be prescribed straight away with all the other items? Would they be provided by the hospital?

I am have emailed the nurse but I am not getting responses, so I just wanted to ask the pump masters forum too, in case I am missing something.
Thanks in advance

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If I remember correctly, this is due to the pump consumables being paid for direct by CCG and ordered direct from the pump supplier rather than prescribed through the GP, although someone who is currently getting an NHS funded pump will be better placed to answer than I!

Reactions: 2 people

ono

If I remember correctly, this is due to the pump consumables being paid for direct by CCG and ordered direct from the pump supplier rather than prescribed through the GP, although someone who is currently getting an NHS funded pump will be better placed to answer than I!
That would make a lot of sense! I'll wait for the start session , see what the Nurse says.
Thanks

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My insulin etc comes on prescription from gp, the cannula's etc I have to order through Medtronic, when I first got my pump my DSN supplied me with a box to get going and told me how to order supplies :)

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Pump supplies come from pump supplier or hospital orders them in and you collect but normal is you order and they delivered to your home.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also, you may want to try a few different sets before settling on one that suits you. My DSN showed me a selection and I opted for the one that suited my body best. I then ordered some boxes of those from the pump manufacturer.

You may be given a few sets to start you off. Bear in mind that it might not be a full selection of the sets available so you could always look on the pump manufacturer's website so you have some idea of what sets exist before you have your pump appointment.

ono

Thanks so much guys, that's really helpful!

Also, my GP has prescribed 1 single insulin cart, (100units should last me 3 days i calculate). I need to ask him to up the numbers but I want to have an idea of what is reasonable.
How many carts do you use a month?

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I was given 4 boxes on Wednesday ready for Monday coming

Reactions: 3 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I'm getting the Roche Insight (reading the forum now i am a bit concerned)
Oh dear hope things work out ok. As to your question then you need at least a months supply of insulin in one go preferably 2 months so you need to get hold of your GP pronto and explain a mistake has been made in the prescription. Always make sure you have spare just in case there is a delay in the prescription for any reason.

Reactions: 3 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
5 in a box, starting on the insight too on monday

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Oh, well I hope we'll be ok with the infamous Insight then, eh? : D
Thanks for the info, I'll talk to my GP, and please post your progress if you have some input Gaz-M.

You will need flex pens aswell in case of emergencies