Not a diabetic but daughter Type 1.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am not a diabetic but my ten year old daughter is. I am also a single parent and dealing with her issues can be daunting. I'm on here to try and better understand what she lives through. We do ok but she is getting older and I figure the more information I can get the better. Type 1 runs in my family my brother and nephew also have it so even though I'm quite familiar with the ins and outs I don't believe I know it all and can always learn more.

Be gentle..

www.myinvisiblehands.com

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
first a big welcome :)
second -- glad to have you on board - there is loads of support here on the forum.

Reactions: 2 people

Kazlow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The cold
Thanks for the reply it helps to know that!!
Hi I'm new here to but thought I'd say hi as my son is diabetic type 1 and I know how hard it can be. I am also type 1. It's can be challenging looking after a child with diabetes as they don't always do what they should to keep well. This is a great forum and you'll learn a lot from people on here. Hope your daughter is well.
Karen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you Karen it's nice to know I'm not alone. I'm almost jealous of you as you can empathize with your child. I'm sorry you both have to deal with it but I'm sure he knows to listen to you right??

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @myinvisiblehands
The pump is harder work in many ways but yes I do prefer not having to inject 5 times a day.
I have only been pumping for just over 9 weeks so far

Kazlow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The cold
Thank you Karen it's nice to know I'm not alone. I'm almost jealous of you as you can empathize with your child. I'm sorry you both have to deal with it but I'm sure he knows to listen to you right??
Well actually now he's older he doesn't listen to me at all. It's very hard to get through to him the complications that can happen if he doesn't look after it. I'm suffering the complications and he sees that but it's still not enough for him to keep well. I do understand him though as I've been there myself. I was diagnosed at 10 and am now 45. It's a very hard disease to accept as a child. You feel different to other kids and when you're young you can't see thirty years down the line. It's a chore to do blood tests and injections, you want to eat what every other kid is eating. Oh it can be hard as a kid so my heart goes out to both you and your daughter. I hope she listens to you and as she gets older I hope she does everything right. You can lead a normal life with diabetes. I found this out too late and I wish I could go back and do things differently. Hindsight is a wonderful thing lol. Take care
karen

Kazlow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The cold
Hi @myinvisiblehands
The pump is harder work in many ways but yes I do prefer not having to inject 5 times a day.
I have only been pumping for just over 9 weeks so far
What pump do you use? I'm on the omnipod and love it. Nearly two years now. Hope you're getting on ok with your pump and not having any problems. Happy pumping ☺

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yeah getting them to listen can be a chore, the age doesn't help at all! My daughter has an Animas Pump and it works well. Our biggest problem is she's so small she only has two locations she can apply the inset to. We have to change it about every three or or four days because of scarring that shuts down the flow of insulin. If we leave it on too long in one location she stops getting insulin and can produce ketones in a hurry! Couple that with what you were saying she wants to eat everything the other kids are eating and yes it makes it difficult.

Kazlow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The cold
Yeah getting them to listen can be a chore, the age doesn't help at all! My daughter has an Animas Pump and it works well. Our biggest problem is she's so small she only has two locations she can apply the inset to. We have to change it about every three or or four days because of scarring that shuts down the flow of insulin. If we leave it on too long in one location she stops getting insulin and can produce ketones in a hurry! Couple that with what you were saying she wants to eat everything the other kids are eating and yes it makes it difficult.
I'm not familiar with the Animas Pump but I also have that problem with my Omnipod Pump. Sometimes a small lump forms under the skin and the insulin flow is comprised. When I used to inject I always did it in the same place because it didnt seem to hurt as much but big lumps formed which i still have now. Is your daughters pump tubeless? It must be so hard for you sometimes. I think it's just as hard for a parent as it is the diabetic child. In different ways of course. You're obviously a very good loving caring mum though as you're on this forum trying to look out for her.
Karen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Animas is owned by Johnson & Johnson a pharmaceutical and healthcare giant here in the states. I'm not sure what kind of presence they have on your side of the pond. That's very interesting that the injection site can have the same problems as the inset site but I can see how it could. Just one of the many issues I suppose. Thank you for the compliment you seem like a great parent yourself. I guess I should clarify things a little too I'm a single father but many say I make a very good mother! LOL!

www.myinvisiblehands.com

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What pump do you use? I'm on the omnipod and love it. Nearly two years now. Hope you're getting on ok with your pump and not having any problems. Happy pumping ☺
i started on the omnipod on september 29th this year.
things are so much smoother on the pump

i think site rotation is a big issue for a lot of people -- thighs can be a good alternative as well as just above the backside.

Kazlow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The cold
Animas is owned by Johnson & Johnson a pharmaceutical and healthcare giant here in the states. I'm not sure what kind of presence they have on your side of the pond. That's very interesting that the injection site can have the same problems as the inset site but I can see how it could. Just one of the many issues I suppose. Thank you for the compliment you seem like a great parent yourself. I guess I should clarify things a little too I'm a single father but many say I make a very good mother! LOL!

www.myinvisiblehands.com
Oh my god I'm so sorry. How sexist that was of me lol. I'm glad you can't see how red my face has gone. Well in that case you're a brilliant dad. Complimant still stands lol.
Karen

Kazlow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The cold

i think site rotation is a big issue for a lot of people -- thighs can be a good alternative as well as just above the backside.
I'm so glad it's going good for you. Yes youre right about rotation. I've never tried it on my thigh though but if you recommend it as another area ill give it a try. When it's on my backside I always forget and end up ripping it out. Thanks for the idea and again I'm really pleased the pumps going well.
Karen

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I agree site rotation is huge and it's becoming the most important aspect of it for the near future. I'll be glad when she can utilize other locations.

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Oh my god I'm so sorry. How sexist that was of me lol. I'm glad you can't see how red my face has gone. Well in that case you're a brilliant dad. Complimant still stands lol.
Karen

Not a problem at all. Thank you again for the compliment!! Believe me this isn't the first time. lol

Reactions: 3 people